Skip to content

There are no good cloaks in BG2EE

Seriously. Now that I can't seem to get the Cloak of Balduran ala the pause trick (for some reason they removed that from the game) there isn't a single cloak that's really worth anything for an end-game character. The closest thing I have been able to get is the Cloak of the Sewers, a ratty little ugly rag that gives +1 AC and a polymorph ability I will never use. It's even more frustrating because apparently enabling the console for BG2EE is some impossible task which I wasted three hours on trying to figure out, and still have nothing to show for my efforts.

What are some of your alternatives for this ridiculous Cloak of Sewers? I can't seem to find anything that's even remotely opulent compared to what I had when I was level 9 back in Siege of Dragonspear.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    The cloak of the sewers allows you to become a regenerating troll, which is really useful when you run out of healing items or spells. Other than that I must agree that you won't find powerful cloaks until late SoA and ToB.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited January 2017
    None but one are gamebreaking but here are some very good cloaks:
    Cloak of non-detection
    Cloak of Displacement
    Cloak of Mirroring(Super OP)
    Cowl of the stars (casts MMM once a day, which allows everyone to dispel a polymorph weapon. Niche use, but very strong)
    Cloak of the Lich (ToB)
    Cloak of the Dark Moon (ToB)
    Cloak of bravery
    Improved Cloak of Protection+2(ToB)

They are few but still good
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cervoxcervox Member Posts: 11
    The jelly form from the Cloak of the Sewers is also good for beholders, mix it with wand of summoning and maybe haste and they are all dead.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    After the cloak of the sewers my next favourite is the cloak of the stars (6 x +5 darts/day) - it brings out my inner assassin.
  • StorytellerStoryteller Member Posts: 38
    Grond0 said:

The Cloak of the Sewers is one of the best cloaks in the game if you take advantage of its polymorph abilities:
    - the resistance to weapon damage given by the rat shape is particularly useful to allow you to tank many strong enemies.
    - the jelly form is immune to piercing damage, which can be handy when backstabbing thieves are around.
    - the troll form regeneration provides an alternative method of healing.

To enable the console just add the following line to the Baldur.LUA file:
    SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
    Then press ctrl+space together in the game to open the console.

You are a God. Thank you so much. I was messing with the Baldur configuration settings, I didn't know you had to go into the LUA. Screw the Cloak of the Sewers, I'm getting my Cloak of Balduran back.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The Cloak of Mirroing is probably the most stupidly overpowered cloak in the whole series, even AFTER being nerfed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Just a note: nobody removed the Cloak of Balduran from BG2EE. It has never been in BG2, with the original developers deciding not to put it into BG2 with all its other + Magic Resistance items.

Also, enabling the console is easy if you follow instructiins here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61900/how-to-enable-the-console-in-bgee-sod-bg2ee-in-version-2-0-and-later#latest
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 208
    Concerning cloaks, I´d like to know what´s available in p&p, since this BG2:EE assortiment seems to be a choice of enchanted protection ( that closes off use of magical armor) or reflective quality ( which looks dazzling but I´ve yet to remember exactly where becoming a lightning bubble is essential, maybe dancefloor?).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm also a big fan of Montolio's cloak, though that one is not available until ToB.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    dunbar said:

After the cloak of the sewers my next favourite is the cloak of the stars (6 x +5 darts/day) - it brings out my inner assassin.

That has been damned handy against ... certain foes.