Skip to content

Quickie about expansion (possible spoilers enter at own risk)

Which location should I first visit- Durlags tower or warewolf island? I really want the most optimal way to get trough this and get some items on the way. I've done both of them couple of times, but now I'm wondering from 'meta' perspective which should I visit first from item/spell standpoint.

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Durlag's Tower gives better rewards.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    island fairly gives alot of drinkables but has no actually good item except one or two for mages.
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    Alrighty, I kinda figured that out. I was just wondering whether DT gives some useful items to fight the werewolves, cuz that encounter is somewhat always daunting. Or maybe vice versa, the island gives something useful for DT. Some synergies n stuff ya know
    the island has everything you'll need for wolves, but that's also the only area these trinkets are of any use in the game.

Like I said, there's only a robe and staff that are any good and useful to the end of the game. And acquiring the robe entirely depends on your ethics.
    All right. Steamrolled trough the island for the first time. The greater wolfware didn't possess much threat as I managed to paralyze him early on.

Setting off to mainland as we speak :)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    For your future reference, DT has "the Burning Earth" a great longsword against Werewolves.
    Very useful if you have a party that can't really use bastard swords or daggers.
    Thanks, that's something I was looking for :)
    DON'T DO THE WEREWOLF ISLAND IF NO ONE IN YOUR PARTY IS ABLE TO WIELD A DAGGER OR A BASTARD SWORD.

Sorry for the caps, but it is an urgent advice.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    The "natural sequence" intended by the devs is probably that you go to the werewolf island before Durlag's Tower. However, there's a particular fight on the island for which certain weapon choices make a critical difference, and this can therefore affect the choice of sequence.

IF you have a warrior who can use Bastard Swords effectively, then the island isn't difficult, definitely easier than the tower, so go to the island first.

IF you don't have a warrior who can use Bastard Swords effectively but you do have a warrior who is good with Longswords, then go to Durlag's Tower first in order to get the Burning Earth longsword (found near to the end of the tower). Nevertheless, you don't necessarily have to face the final battle inside the tower immediately after finding that sword - you could simply leave the tower as soon as you've got the sword, go to the island, and then come back to finish the tower later ... for some parties, this is the best way to do it.

IF you don't have a warrior good with either Bastard Swords or Longswords, but you do have a warrior who is good with Daggers, then you might as well go to the island first, although it'll be harder.

IF you don't have any warrior who can use Bastard Swords or Longswords or Daggers, then completing the island is going to be much tougher. Not impossible, but you're definitely creating a real challenge for yourself. In that case, it's probably best to leave the island until after the tower (and indeed until almost the end of the game), so that your party is as high-level as possible, to improve your chances of winning on the island without the benefit of special weapons.

It's specifically because of that particular battle on the island that, if you want to get through the game relatively easily and in a fairly natural sequence and without exploiting cheesy tactics (and without simply omitting the werewolf island altogether), then you must always include a warrior who has (or can be given) proficiency in Bastard Swords. I therefore find that, in planning party composition, the question "How and when will this party be able to tackle the island?" is frequently a vital consideration.
  • Toot83Toot83 Member Posts: 20
    edited January 2017
    Raduziel said:

DON'T DO THE WEREWOLF ISLAND IF NO ONE IN YOUR PARTY IS ABLE TO WIELD A DAGGER OR A BASTARD SWORD.

Warrior types get a "huge" -2 penalty to wield non-proficient weapons. Doesn't make that big a difference, if level and STR are both in high enough level.

My man Minsc (lvl 6) was more than able to hit the Big Bad Wolf in the shipwreck with the nearby bastard sword even without profiency points in b-swords. It's a bit more challenging, but by all means not a straight suicide to head to Werewolf Island without a bastard sword -proficient character.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited January 2017
    Yeah, what I did, I used bunch of Spell Thrust and Remove Magic (probably neither of these did anything cuz it seems that he simply has natural resistances) with combination of 2 Dooms, I think. Got my party blessed and chanted and with the use of wand - managed to paralyze the guy. And then just stormed him down with Wand of Heavens and Frost. I had the sword against shapeshifters (don't know if this does anything, but i figured that warewolves are also falling in the category). Didn't even get the warewolf sword, but I had the amulet from that old mage that has been there for centuries.

Also, cheezed it a bit, as I climbed down the stairs to avoid confusion or accidental step on the traps, as I knew that there are couple of bad ones but didn't know where exactly. Nonetlehess the encounter was easier than I remembered.
    edited January 2017
    Toot83 said:

Raduziel said:

Warrior types get a "huge" -2 penalty to wield non-proficient weapons. Doesn't make that big a difference, if level and STR are both in high enough level.

My man Minsc (lvl 6) was more than able to hit the Big Bad Wolf in the shipwreck with the nearby bastard sword even without profiency points in b-swords. It's a bit more challenging, but by all means not a straight suicide to head to Werewolf Island without a bastard sword -proficient character.
    Able and skillful are two different things.

Every time when someones speaks about the werewolf island I remember the guy who was soloing as a cleric and got stuck in there.

And by the way...

Are you guys sure that The Burning Earth hits Karoug? Because he have some nasty immunity against every weapon that is not cold-iron. I know that the Sword of Balduran, Silver Dagger and Kondar can hit him, but I'm not sure about TBE
    For the record, and in particular answering @Raduziel's spoilered question ...
    There are exactly five physical weapons in the game which will hit Karoug:- Kondar +1/+3 (bastard sword), Albruin +1 (bastard sword), Sword of Balduran +0/+4 (bastard sword), Werebane +1/+4 (dagger) and Burning Earth +1/+2/+3/+4 (longsword). (And yes, I'm sure.)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Just to add to discussion of "the Burning Earth".

If you are going onto SOD, it's very, very useful, +4 undead.
    I know there are people who can't face DT again, there's now a more compelling reason.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Just to add to discussion of "the Burning Earth".

If you are going onto SOD, it's very, very useful, +4 undead.
    I know there are people who can't face DT again, there's now a more compelling reason.

Wait really? Thats easily the best dungeon in the series.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    It's alright however, it's a massive slogfest and a pain in the arse if you're not in the right mood.
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    @Gallowglass
    Did you forget The Worlds Edge, two handed sword +3? It's dropped by The Chess Board king in Durlag. If memory serves, Kaurog can be hit by +3 and over. If I'm right, this may be one reason to visit Durlag's first.
    edited January 2017

@Gallowglass
    Did you forget The Worlds Edge, two handed sword +3? It's dropped by The Chess Board king in Durlag. If memory serves, Kaurog can be hit by +3 and over. If I'm right, this may be one reason to visit Durlag's first.

No. Only kaisha and baresh can be handled by +3.

karoug specifically requires silver / iron

not sure about mendas. I always resort to use the gold sword on him aswell.
    Post edited by SirBatince on

No, I didn't forget it, and unfortunately you're not right. As already mentioned by @SirBatince, that weapon won't work in the particular case under discussion. It has also been alleged elsewhere that +3 weapons in general will work for this purpose, but that is incorrect.

The weapons which will work are precisely and only the ones which I listed in my earlier spoiler.
  • IthualIthual Member Posts: 136
    edited January 2017
    Wand of Paralysis works really well against the big chief. Then just grab the bastard sword and chop him down. Good to have a potion of str as this improves damage output.

Flame strike also works well, khalid and jaheira can rock him by themselves.