Skip to content

Appropriate Levels for Quest

AbYsMaLAbYsMaL Member Posts: 19
Anyone besides me notice that we have a list of available quests all over here and the internet, but we don't have an actual list of what quests are recommended for a certain level, assuming a player is new? Or rather, does anyone think that in the 'New Players' Section we could make a post that doesn't just explain the name of the quest, but what level a party (assuming 6 members) should be on average before even remotely attempting it? Thoughts?

I thought it would be interesting to see what players thought would be good low level quests (this doesn't mean doing a quest that is designed to be a challenge, but made easy because of dialogue option [Bassilus]), and it would be a good judge for a character to know where he could go to get some awesome stuff without killing himself time and time because it's really not his time.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    As a general rule of thumb, anything in a straight line south if the Friendly Arm Inn is pretty safe for low level parties. The danger tends to increase as you move farther from the main north/south road.
    dunbarformer_customerDJKajuruQuartz
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I always like to think that the game was well planned, in that it sort of leads you in the right direction without actually railroading you. The narrative path is fairly obvious and if you stick to that then the difficulty of the encounters tends to match your experience level.
    ThacoBellQuartz
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    edited February 2017
    I think the problem with that is there are so many variables.

For instance, I happen to find Nashkel Mines horrendous at low levels but that's because I play insane so the damage from any arrows can be one hit lethal. Of course I could play it early and just tun the difficulty slider down but then does that make it correct to say the Mines are "easy" for low level parties?

The Gnoll Fortress on the other hand, with strategy, that's easy peasy, but you have to get there. So would it be a good recommendation to play that map very early?

All in all, I think it has to be trial and error for the player and the emphasis on "come back later if needs be".
    sarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

All in all, I think it has to be trial and error for the player and the emphasis on "come back later if needs be".

that nailed it right on the head

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Cool thing about the system is that, unlike most rpg's, anything can kill a 1st level party .That males you smart from the start.
    Quartz
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    dunbar said:

I always like to think that the game was well planned, in that it sort of leads you in the right direction without actually railroading you. The narrative path is fairly obvious and if you stick to that then the difficulty of the encounters tends to match your experience level.

Possibly one of the greatest strengths of Baldur's Gate 1 over its sequel. I've never quite been able to put it into words, thank you!
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    I find only the ankhegs, sirens and durlag should be strictly avoided until later. The rest of the dangerous areas are barred off regardless at low level.