Skip to content

What to play first - BG2EE v2+ or SOD?

Hi everyone.

I just want to walktrough BG2EE on the hardest possible difficulty. In the version v2+ it is Legacy of Bhaal, (also, right now I modifying my GUI mod for v2+, to make my gameplay comfort! :P ).
My previous walktrough, on version BG2EE v1.3.2 is now on stage Chapter five, with all possible plots resolved. Level 17, Diviner, balckskinned Half-Elf.

When you starting new game on BG2EE, you can import character and start the new game even on 17th level (the difficulty of monsters will be changed respectively...), but all your remembered spells will be consumed :).. This is pretty sux...
Also I will play with the all mods that increasing difficulty, that I have found - SCS and Tactics for EE.

But I am on pending state, I do not know what to do - To start SoD, or repeat BG2EE playthrough on LoB difficulty first!?

[b][i]Is my char from BG2EE can be imported into SoD?[/i][/b]

[b][i]Is my char from BG1EE (or gamesaves itself) can be imported into SoD?[/i][/b]

[b][i]What a difference between "Import Game" from BG1EE to BG2EE and import character, can be imported the game from SoD to BG2EE?[/i][/b]

[b][i]Does SCS and Tactics for EE support SoD?[/i][/b]

[i]And The problem, that I have not SoD yet..., but I planning to obtain it in the future[/i]

Thanx for the answers.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @frostysh
    SoD is a BG1 Expansion, as its events occur right after the end of BG1. There is an option to import your BG1 saved game or final save to SoD, and in that case you'll import your entire BG1 party .

SoD kind of explains the gap between BG1 and BG2. For these reasons, you cannot export your BG2 party. (you could export your BG2 character, but chronologically that would make no sense.)

SCS and Tactics support it, but they're not really necessary because most of SoD's creature AI's are inspired by SCS, it should be more challenging than vanilla BG or BG2. Besides , if your game is from steam or gog you need to install a mod called MODMERGE for mods to work on a BG1+SoD (it's quite simple, actually).

You are welcome!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Start with SoD, it comes before BG2 chronologically.
  • frostyshfrostysh Member Posts: 55
    Cool answers, so the only reason between "import character" and "import game" that the party is imported in the second case? I just thought it's like in the Witcher 2, when you importing saves, all your crucial decisions that you have made through game, is imported also. For an example - saving characters NPC from a death, etc.

Well I have doubts that without SCS will be more challenge. SCS not only modifying AI, there also lot of changes to spells, deleting some items, increasing stats of monsters, adding some resistances, etc. Tactics do something like that too.

O I have a variants. I will place most preferable for myself in the top. But I have no SOD yet (I will get it in the any case), so I do not know, if this variants can be realized.

1. Export my Character from current stage (Chapter 5, Underwater city) from v 1.3.2 BG2EE (mods +Insane), and import my char into a new game on version 2+ of BG2EE, install all those challenging mods, and repeat play-trough, again complete the all possible subquests etc, but now - on Legacy of Bhaal cool difficulty.
    After finishing BG2EE - export my char to SOD (what a level cap of SOD?! ), and complete it also on LoB.

2. Wait for SOD, export my current char to SOD, complete it, export my [i]game[/i] to BG2EE v2+, again play-trough on LoB.

3. Export my old game from BG1EE to SOD, complete, then export my game from SOD to BG2EE v2+ and complete it. - This is the less acceptable variant.

What would be better?
    SoD will cap at around lv 15 depending on class.
    So what will happs if I will export to SOD my 17th lvl Diviner?
    Probably a level reduction
    This is not good. Perhaps I should get trough SOD first, and export to SOD my 17th level char, but not when my char will be 30 lvl... -2 levels, it's not so bad.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Play SOD and import your PC to BG2EE...or full playthrough BGEE+SOD then to BG2EE
    ThacoBell
    I am decided, I will export my char from BG2EE to SOD, then finish SOD, then I will export game from SOD to BG2EE :) I hope it will work, for now I need to get the SOD, where I can get the SOD in the cheapest way possible, GOG or Steam, or the any other wariants? :P
    ronaldo
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited February 2017
    frostysh said:

I am decided, I will export my char from BG2EE to SOD, then finish SOD, then I will export game from SOD to BG2EE :) I hope it will work,

So...uh, the exact opposite of what everyone advised you to do. K...
    frostysh said:

for now I need to get the SOD, where I can get the SOD in the cheapest way possible, GOG or Steam, or the any other wariants? :P

I recommend buying it from the Beamdog store and supporting Beamdog directly. But, as you already proved, you're going to do whatever you want anyway. :|
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    frostysh said:

I am decided, I will export my char from BG2EE to SOD, then finish SOD, then I will export game from SOD to BG2EE :) I hope it will work, for now I need to get the SOD, where I can get the SOD in the cheapest way possible, GOG or Steam, or the any other wariants? :P

You need to buy SoD from the same place you bought BGEE. They aren't compatible across vendors.
    @rapsam2003
    Not exactly, user ThacoBell for an example, advised me to game on SOD first, before BG2EE, and this is my decision - to complete SOD first.

@BillyYank
    Har! Har! Harghhh! ... :P I thought about that, but I want to buy the game, on GOG, or on Steam, because there is cheapest than in Beamdog - I think so. So where I need to create account? Where the games is cheapest, where the service is more good for VERY BAD internet connection?????????????
    Even a 6 dollars is a pretty large price for me :( . On this cash, I can live for the half of month :/ .