Skip to content

Icharyd Outside Ulcaster School Ruins With SCS...Are You Having A Laugh?

As the title suggests, not an easy fight.
He hits like a truck and then cheats, resets and calls the heavens down on your head.

Managed but OMG, my carefully hoarded stock of extra health potions has now gone and the portraits look as if they have been spraypainted red. Plus I had to use absorption, strength and invulnerability potions. It's just not on. Those are always only for the last couple of fights or even to carry through SOD, who knows what mishaps may occur on the road.

Heading back to Beregost Temple to have words with that Very Important Priest and ask what the hell he is playing at not keeping the undead under better control. All that money I have funneled his way and can't even keep a traveling exorcist on staff?
If he's not suitably apologetic, I'm going to touch him.
Contemplative_HamsterDJKajuruJuliusBorisovCrevsDaaklolienPapa_LouBlackraven

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I've never fought 'him' on SCS , but he can his damage resistance, good thac0/weapon and immunities make him a worthy foe for any low level party as well. Question: In SCS can he still be kited, held by web of entangle or blasted by evocation spells?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    DJKajuru said:

Question: In SCS can he still be kited, held by web of entangle or blasted by evocation spells?

You can kite him, but arrows barely damage him, and he will continue casting Call Lightning on you.
    JuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    DJKajuru said:

I've never fought 'him' on SCS , but he can his damage resistance, good thac0/weapon and immunities make him a worthy foe for any low level party as well. Question: In SCS can he still be kited, held by web of entangle or blasted by evocation spells?

Not sure about web working, but the lightning doesn't make that a good option anyway.

I ended up using the "monster summoning" wand, again and again the moment I went down to one summons. He does target the lightning at them, which gives you a break. And hasted Charname using fire arrows, they damage, and as he gets damaged, the spells MM ect. do seem to hit more whereas initially, all magic is resisted.

All this after initially attacking mob handed and hasted simply to get him damaged enough to move to phase two.
  • ArizaelArizael Member Posts: 263
    Wand of monster summoning is definitely good option here, but bear in mind that you need to combine it with pressure, as the summons cannot harm him and he cleaves trough them quickly. Plus when switching to phase 2 all monsters get unsummoned.

What really disappointed me - after finally destroying the abomination all you get is 1,5k XP and flail+1. At least the xp reward could be slightly higher, the fight is really tough especially for unprepared parties.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    As a general rule, I have a policy of not touching XP or rewards, because there's a risk of arms race: SCS is supposed to increase the challenge, but if you get more loot and higher levels because of fighting harder opponents, the challenge goes down again.

It's possible Ichyard should be an exception, though. A foolish consistency is the Chill mercenary of little minds.
    lolienJuliusBorisovGirewan
  • butteredsoulbutteredsoul Member Posts: 168
    Sorry for 1 year necro.

@DavidW : thank you! You’ve reinvigorated my enjoyment of the game with SCS. Doing my first play through ever with it.

@UnderstandMouseMagic :
    I did that fight and was surprised too! Blood everywhere. Ichy almost had our flesh!! I too used potions: hill giant, heroism, and speed for Kaigan. The latter two for Dorn. My CHARNAME F/TH shot fire arrows. Easy at first. But after the reset when the lightning came, I hid the squishies and combed through the supplies. Thank goodness I had a prot from undead scroll! Popped it on the dwarf and ran Ich around him. Jeez!
    UnderstandMouseMagicAerakar
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,014
    The first time I encountered the improved SCS Ichyard it was a bloodbath for my party. I thought we had it won and then boom we are in some sort of in-between dimension and he uses call lightning, party members down, everyone left bloodied one by one, used every trick we had and just barely got through. I still enjoy this fight.
    Grond0UnderstandMouseMagicBlackraven
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Aerakar said:

The first time I encountered the improved SCS Ichyard it was a bloodbath for my party. I thought we had it won and then boom we are in some sort of in-between dimension and he uses call lightning, party members down, everyone left bloodied one by one, used every trick we had and just barely got through. I still enjoy this fight.

The undead repository in SoD and this fight are the only occasions where I used a Protection from Undead scroll in BG1.
    Aerakar
  • VheissuVheissu Member Posts: 13
    SCS Icharyd always gives me trouble too. Generally it's best to start strong (haste, any buffs or potions that increase strength) to get him to change into his second form as fast as possible before the party has to blow too many extra healing potions and healing spells. Protection spells and the better potions aren't going to help much, as the buffs will be removed shortly anyways.
    Scrolls and spells of protection from lightning come in handy for his second form, and then it's just a matter of plinking away at him, drinking potions and healing, hopefully before too many party members die. I haven't tried mass summons, but they could be very useful in the second phase if they attract lightning bolts instead of party members.
    Aerakar
  • ATempestRagesATempestRages Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2022
    4 Year necro (appropriate really), but I wanted to say that running into this guy on my solo run has so far been the highlight of my game. Magic Resistance turned this battle into an intricate game of traps and backstabs. As always, flexibility wins the day over raw power.

@DavidW - SCS is an absolute masterpiece, especially when coupled with the item randomiser mod.