Skip to content

Quest Timers

I know this is a "no spoiler" section, but as someone playing through for the first time I'm really paranoid about losing some of my party to quest timers. I already almost lost Edwin but managed to work around it (kicked him out right before he quit, then picked him up once I'd finished his quest). What characters have timers on there quests that will cause them to leave your party? Most importantly, do I have to prioritize doing Dorns quest to keep him?

Comments

• FrostyFrosty Member Posts: 190
    Minsk, Khaleed/Jahera, Edwin, Sophiea, Kaigen, Coren. you really don't need to do there quests just need to steep foot in the area of there quest to shut them up. Kivan has a diologen about not doing his quest but since his quest was never really finised and put in the game he does not acculy leave
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    Who is Sophiea?
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    Safana, I'm guessing.

Kivan will now leave if you don't reach Chapter 4 within five days of recruiting him.
  • StickanStickan Member Posts: 136
    Jalily said:

Safana, I'm guessing.

Kivan will now leave if you don't reach Chapter 4 within five days of recruiting him.

Five days?! Isn't that a little ehm, short? I mean the transport times alone if you recruit him in Chapter 1 would make that hard to accomplish wouldn't it? And you most certainly wouldn't have time for example to recruit and help Minsc in between.
  • ThermosThermos Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for the info guys, looks like I'm on track to play the rest of the game with my current party without having to stress about getting anything else done on time! Maybe it's the modern instinct towards hand-holding in video games, but I do feel like the game could use something that makes it a little more clear how much time you have before you lose a character. I know that they will periodically pester you about getting on track with their mission, but I think lots of people think thats just roleplaying and don't take it as a serious threat. Maybe something in the journal could note that the character expects you to get the quest done in X days? It just seems like I'm not the only one who had to scramble to keep an NPC, and some have lost characters they wanted to keep without realizing they would until it was too late.
    lolien
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Jalily said:

Safana, I'm guessing.

When was that implemented? I always get him early and have never had issues,
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    I think the last patch.

Apparently, the timer was always there, but it hadn't been active because of a typo.

15 years later, Kivan works as intended.
  • secretmantrasecretmantra Member Posts: 259
    I had Coran ditch me right before a nasty random encounter on my last run. Yikes.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    I had Coran inform me that it is time to bring the head to the Beregost temple... in the warrens, on the way to *spoiler endgame*, about 75 days after encountering the last *creature Coran wants to hunt*. If he walks out on me for that, I'll be really pissed. (I also already did his quest... about 80 days ago).

Er, but to answer the question:

Kagain - just needs to be on the map briefly
    Minsc - same as Edwin
    Safana and Coran - I *think* 10 days, but not sure, I always do their quests right away.
    Dorn, Rasaad and Neera don't have timers as far as I know.
    Khalid/Jaheira/Xzar/Montaron - all the same
  • RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    In my current playthrough (with the latest patch), Kivan did not leave my party although I took me more than 20 days to reach the Bandit camp. I had recruited him as early as possible (at minimum level). He never complained and he never left my party.
    [Deleted User]
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295

In my current playthrough (with the latest patch), Kivan did not leave my party although I took me more than 20 days to reach the Bandit camp. I had recruited him as early as possible (at minimum level). He never complained and he never left my party.

Did you start that game after getting the patch? Or if it was an existing game, had you already met Kivan before the patch? I don't think it would apply retroactively, so would only apply for a game in which you had not yet met him before the patch.

• RadhamanthysRadhamanthys Member Posts: 106
    @PawnSlayer I think I had started the game before the patch, but met Kivan after the patch.
  • beobeo Member Posts: 143
    edited December 2013
    Well let me tell you how this timer almost screwed me over (made me lost Kivan). All I had was quicksave and my party just finished cleaning Ulcaster which had left them in not very good shape, as you could imagine. Kivan nagged me about his quest again so I decided to go finally take care of it, as I had the location of the camp given to me by Elminister (or maybe it was Tranzig) for some time already.

My party needed to heal and to rest so I made a stop at the Friendly Arm on my way there. Well what happened after that much needed sleep was Kivan's departure.. :/

I had to try skip sleep and head right for the camp after I healed at the Temple of Wisdom. I couldnt go straight to Bandit Camp, first I had to pass through "Fishing Village" north of Friendly Arm (fortunately I had that location uncovered on my map) but when I got there time was up for Kivan again..

My last chance was to go with my decimated health from Ulcaster straight to the Fishing Village and then to the bandit camp, but I didnt stand a chance with severely wounded and not rested party.

But even if I went this route Kivan left me in couple minutes (literally) after we get there (right there in the Bandit Camp)!

Fortunately, again, I had "Potion of Invisibility" AND "Oil of Speed" in my bag (just a random loot from before), so I gave them to Imoen in a desperate attempt to sneak into Tazok's tent in time! It worked, I did get there, removed trap, got the letters and ran like hell out of there.

This triggered Chapter IV and Kivan's quest completion, even though I haven't even met Tazok or killed anyone in the camp.

I shall see what consequences, if any, this will have..

@Jalily mentioned elsewhere that if you talk to Kivan (while he is in the party) you dont have to worry about five-day timer, however that did not work for me, he doesnt talk to me.. Probably because I started game with patch 1.2 already..
    Post edited by beo on
    CandleBesidelolien
  • CandleBesideCandleBeside Member Posts: 38
    I think thats a real problem. Some kind of ultimatum, that this or that NPC now really wants to get her quest done would probably really be handy.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    beo said:

@Jalily mentioned elsewhere that if you talk to Kivan (while he is in the party) you dont have to worry about five-day timer, however that did not work for me, he doesnt talk to me.. Probably because I started game with patch 1.2 already..

I actually said the opposite. Pre-1.2, Kivan was supposed to leave after five days if you didn't clear the bandit camp, but due to a bug, he wouldn't leave unless you initiated a conversation with him while he was in your party. Now he will leave by himself when the timer is up, with the length of the timer depending on when you first recruited him (20 days if you recruited him in Chapter 1, 14 days in Chapter 2, and 3 days in Chapter 3).

The game only checks the chapter, so you'll be fine even though you didn't kill anyone in the camp.
  • ImpImp Member Posts: 1
    There is another way, worked for me...If Kivan is dead timer will not trigger and then you have as much time as you want to complete quest, but there is one nuance which is obvious*...

* it's a dead kivan in you party for a while :)
    lolienCrevsDaak
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Curious - If you pick up Kivan and then leave him somewhere, does it stop his timer until he rejoins the party?