Skip to content

Squeezing more fun out of a Fighter/Mage/Thief (BGEE-TOB)

So normally I just use Stoneskin, haste, mirror images, traps, and go to town. This playthrough I've been using things like chromatic orb, charm person, wands, etc.

I am wondering if there are any mage spells I can use as a FMT through the trilogy to have more fun?

I am mainly a solo player that uses melee (paladin, fmt, f/t, etc.), but I want to use this FMT as a more spell casting friendly character so I can learn a little bit more about the offensive/utility spell mechanics besides just being a buff bot.

I want to do this because next playthrough is either going to be a sorcerer or a mage/thief, or some epic combination of offensive spellcaster.

I basically want to be better at magic than Irenicus.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I always get good mileage out of touch spells with a F/M/T
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Whilst I'm still woefully amateurish when It comes to wielding magic I learnt a lot very quickly when I started dualing into a mage quite early on rather than multiclassing. The idea was that my character would be resilient enough to avoid being killed by a passing squirrel but still able to reach high mage levels.

The culmination of this experiment was when I dualed an assassin at level 2 into a mage that I then soloed through BG and SoA, by which time it was all becoming too easy.

So, if you're soloing I can really recommend dualing into a mage in order to get extra abilities/flexibility.
  • LlandonLlandon Member Posts: 6
    I always play FMT, and usually play solo. Like you I just recently started using Chromatic Orb and Charm more. Grease is a spell that I completely ignored, and now use all the time. I don't think I've ever used any of the touch spells like ghoul's touch, I always figured it would be more efficient to just use my bow or sword. Maybe I should try those next time I do a run through.

I just discovered how great spell sequencers can be.
  • iNtuiNtu Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2017
    ahhyep said:

I want to do this because next playthrough is either going to be a sorcerer or a mage/thief, or some epic combination of offensive spellcaster.

I basically want to be better at magic than Irenicus.

You just CAN'T! :(

Still, If anyone could be better than Irenicus - its a Dragon Disciple Sorcerer. He also eats f/m/t for breakfast! B) But I would not recommend playing him without solid knowledge of spells. You have to pick the right spells, the best ones for each spell level. Plenty of supposedly great spells are not that great actually, and there are many spells that don't seem to be good, but they are. To be better at magic than Irenicus - is mostly about YOUR knowledge of magic :p

As for BG+SOD, here is my dragon sorc spell selection: