Skip to content

I would like to get a introduction into modding ICW and BG1.

King_of_HeroesKing_of_Heroes Member Posts: 1
edited March 2017 in General Modding
I generally want to learn how to create mod´s mostly for IWD 1 and BG1 (maybe even 2), but mostly IWD. Creating Kit´s, Map´s, AI´s, Dialog and all that kind of stuff. I already know basic coding but lack the knowledge on what software i should take and how i have to use/install it.
So my first question would be for what specific aspects i have to use what specific software.
From what i have read i need "NearInfinity" as a browser, "WeiDU" for Dialog and "DLTCEP" for basicly everything.
I would also like to know where good tutorials can be found or if there is anything else thats important to know.

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    When i first got into modding, I spent hours just reading the topics at gibberlings q and a:

http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=16

It gave me some idea of what sorts of things that can be done and how to do them.

Also, the weidu page at pocketplane is very helpful:

http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/board,44.0.html

As is the weidu readme:

http://weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html

Good luck!
    CrevsDaak
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited March 2017
    To start off, I suggest you download EEKeeper and NearInfinity. EEKeeper can only modify creature and character files, but it is the easiest modding tool to use. NearInfinity lets you mod all kinds of files, but it's much harder to use.

WeiDU is even harder to use. I don't suggest you try using WeiDU until you've gotten the hang of NearInfinity. WeiDU is a pain to use, as it basically forces you to learn another programming language with its own weird syntax. The WeiDU readme isn't too great at explaining the syntax since it doesn't give enough examples of WeiDU code.

The best way to learn to mod IE games is to use NearInfinity to look at the various files that you are already familiar with. It helps to know the games well.

Say you want to learn how to make new creature AI. The best thing to do is to look at the AI files (known as BCS files) which you are familiar with. Want to know how to make your creature move to another creature? Look at Rufie's BCS file and see how Rufie does it! Want to see how mages cast spells? Look at a mage's BCS file and see how their AI works. Study all the different kinds of files in this same way and you'll make a great modder.

Oh, by the way, you said you wanted to make new kits, maps, dialog and AI. Out of those, AI is the easiest to create and by far the easiest to learn how to create. I suggest you start by modding items, spells, creatures and their AI before you worry about other kinds of files.
    sarevok57
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    im doing a complete revamp of IWD/HOW right now ( almost done actually) and im using EE keeper and Near Infinity

EE keeper is the easiest tool to use if you want to change creatures in a pince, so much faster, although AI wise, you will need another program, that is where near infinity comes in

OlvynChuru hits is right on the nose, when it comes to starting out modding, anything you want to do, look up something else that has that exact behaviour and try and mimic it to your preference

also, starting off small is better, as I say, I use NI for everything now ( except I use EE keeper for creature modification since that is faster in that regard) but you can pretty much do anything with NI, I found NI great for making scripts, and best part is, you have bg1/bg2/iwd of scripts to go through, so anything you can think of is probably somewhere, so if you need assistance on what lines of code to use, you can just go find it

I've never used weidu before and I downloaded DLTCEP but DLTCEP looks lack luster compared to the options of what NI can do

and as far as I know, there is nothing that you technically cant do with NI, although some things might require some hoop jumping ( like banters with NPCs with states and responses and such, oi NI isn't exactly great for it, but it can still be done)
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2017
    Weidu isn't really that difficult to use. Unlike the op, I had virtually no coding experience when i started modding. And yet, i was creating my own simple weidu installs after only a few ( admittedly nerve wracking)tries.

The trick is to look at existing mods, especially nice and simple existing mods. Ahhh yes, check out this awesome introduction by Wisp:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/15010/short-introduction-to-weidu-and-simple-mod-template/p1

Also, if you want to make a kit, check out this excellent tutorial by CrevsDaak:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/34119/how-to-making-kit-mods-for-the-ee/p1

Also, personally, I love DLTCEP, but yrmv.
    CrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaakineth