Skip to content

Half-Orc Canned Biography... Orcish Caravan Guard?

Here's the current EE Half-Orc Canned Character Bio (not including the-class related piece)

You know little of how you came to be a ward of Gorion's, but over the years you have gleaned something of your mother's tale from his vague allusions and from the words he sometimes uttered in tear-filled sleep. She was an orcish caravan guard, part of a larger mercenary company that operated out of Waterdeep. Through the course of his adventuring career, Gorion grew to become her close friend. As you have no memory of her, nor any keepsakes to remind you of her existence, you have come to believe that she died while giving birth to you. Perhaps it was the pain of such a parting that led Gorion to cloister himself within the narrow halls of Candlekeep and raise you as his own. Of your father, you have learned nothing.

Anyone else feel this is a bit far-fetched? No offense or disrespect intended to any of the creators, but... a caravan guard as a full-blooded Orc, out of the highly lawful city of Waterdeep no less? Not sure that anyone in their right mind would hire an Orc caravan guard (Half-Orcs have enough racial enmity as it is). It sounds like it is being stretched to make your mother an orc, since you are half orc and half your father's origin (no spoiler). But couldn't your mother be a Half-Orc herself? Might make for a better backstory. If your mother is a Half-Orc, I'm thinking you'd be one as well mechanically anyway...

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Can't you change that if you like? I seem to recall your bio used to be editable.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Even though we can change the bio ourself, it does give pause to think. Half- elves have a half even mother as well. Given that all full blooded characters are full blooded themselves, elves, humans, gnomes, etc. it would seem Bhaal presents himself to all the mothers as a full blooded race of what they are. So this would seem to mean that in the case of half-orcs he came to her as a half orc(or to the half-elven mothers as a half-whatever.
    Or it could be that he presented himself as a full-b;ooded orc or elf and the offspring comes out being a half orc or elf with more orcish or elven blood than normal half-X.

As orcs seem to half a little more leeway when it comes to the Swordcoast, acceptance wise, I suppose it is not unheard of for orcs to get work but still. Either story could work as we are talking about a God as the father.
    On another point, Gorion sure as heck does not seem to discriminate with his lovers, if we take his explanation at face value in his letters to CHARNAME.
    There is some interesting genetic work going on here.
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Bigfish said:

Can't you change that if you like? I seem to recall your bio used to be editable.

For certain. I just read what was there though and thought about it a bit in this case. I usually write my own :)
    You could always chalk it up to casual racism. Not like people are particularly discerning when it comes to the half-breeds. Ears are pointy, must be an elf. Skin is green, must be an orc.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited March 2017
    There are a few ways to interpretent the text.

While it is said she was an orcish caravan guard who worked in Waterdeep, the background does not specific anything else. She may for example have been an Gray Orc instead of an typical, Mountain Orc. They are a much more civilized lot than their brutish cousins after all.

It does also not mention her birth place. While the North is in bad blood with the Orc Hordes, there are also places in Faerûn where full-blooded Orcs peacefully coexist and mingle with other races. One such a place is the city Phsant in Thesk where thousands of Gray Orcs and Half-Orcs citizens alike live an honest and civilized life.

Or, she might have been an Half-Orc herself. As the child of an Half-Orc is, in most cases, also an Half-Orc. Barring the appearance of an third racial lineage, which would make the child an Mongrelfolk.
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243

While it is said she was an orcish caravan guard who worked in Waterdeep, the background does not specific anything else. She may for example have been an Gray Orc instead of an typical, Mountain Orc. They are a much more civilized lot than their brutish cousins after all.

It does also not mention her birth place. While the North is in bad blood with the Orc Hordes, there are also places in Faerûn where full-blooded Orcs peacefully coexist and mingle with other races. One such a place is the city Phsant in Thesk where thousands of Gray Orcs and Half-Orcs citizens alike live an honest and civilized life.

Or, she might have been an Half-Orc herself. As the child of an Half-Orc is, in most cases, also an Half-Orc. Barring the appearance of an third racial lineage, which would make the child an Mongrelfolk.

One would wonder if the "third racial lineage" would apply to Bhaalspawn. Most likely not, since they pretty much look like what their parents did.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Does it matter as Gorion lied?

It's a made up story for Charname rather than telling him/her their mother was a batshit crazy Bhaal worshipper who was trying to kill you.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited March 2017

That was one possibility I thought of as well, that she was called "an orcish caravan guard" without bothering to delineate her as half or full. Just based on the little info that is given, and that all other races are, I assume, listed with a full blooded mother, it does bring up the question.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited March 2017
    I always understood that the PC had the same rac as the PC's mother, with Bhaal able to breed with any possible PC race (among others).
    Post edited by tbone1 on
    Of course! She wasn't an "Orcish" "Caravan Guard", she was an "Orcish Caravan" "Guard"!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Should maybe flag the title thread as spoilery
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Bigfish said:

Of course! She wasn't an "Orcish" "Caravan Guard", she was an "Orcish Caravan" "Guard"!

And considering older edition's almost enforced idea that half-orcs come from less than savory meetings of orc and humans, it would totally be in character for Bhaal to take the form of an orc, have his way with some poor human woman, just to have a half-orc possibility.

Hmm... an interesting thought process.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    ThacoBell said:

Should maybe flag the title thread as spoilery

Sorry, edited.

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    What about a Half-Chicken? That's the real question @Melicamp.