Skip to content

Firebeard and 300GP

Comments

• Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    edited September 2012
    ajwz said:

Click reroll 1000 times and the game gives you all 18s for stats. It's true, I swear!

I think that actually does work in Temple of Elemental Evil, though in that game it's 10000 times not 1000.
  • PoulsenPoulsen Member Posts: 10
    It has nothing to do with charisma, but is a script (GG300.bcs), which simply says that the 30th time anybody speaks with Firebead there's a 300g bonus. At least in the original BG1+Tales of the Sword Coast - perhaps the authors of Tutu/BGT decided to remove it in their mods.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Shin said:

The script contains this:

IF
    NumTimesTalkedTo(30)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetNumTimesTalkedTo(31)
    GiveGoldForce(300)
    END

So it shouldn't be charisma related.

...Weird. Good job finding that, too.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    Quartz said:

Mortianna said:

Quartz said:

I heard someone say "it doesn't work with TuTu," but I'm running completely vanilla BG1 ToTSC and it isn't working either, so.

I tried it in vanilla BG1 without ToTSC and still nothing. Dear gods, have we been trolled?
    I do believe that is the nail in the coffin: Dear God, we have been trolled.
    I stand corrected. After I saw the other posts, I tried it again and got the 300gp.

Though it really doesn't matter because, if you kill him, you get the gold anyway.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    How much gold can a thief raise by stealing items in chests, pickpocketing, and the like. Plus what you get from all the quests. Without resorting to exploits, what is the max starting GP?
  • RhaoRhao Member Posts: 7
    @Lemernis
    I think the people in the "Leveling up in Candlekeep" thread might have a good answer.
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/4627/leveling-up-in-candlekeep-anyone-ever-do-that#latest
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69
    @Lemernis, 150 (50 if you need to identify) for the +1 dagger (Quest, 18 cha needed), 1000 for the Star Sapphire (Locked chest upstairs), 300 from Firebeard, about 250 from various quests and theft. The gold each character starts with is variable by nature, seems to vary from about 30 to 130 in my experience. There are a bunch of potions you can collect, but they aren't sellable to old Winthrop. I also hear there is a pickpocket-able gem on a noble but I haven't been able to find it myself.

If you include murder and mayhem, 4500 for 16 sets of plate mail if you sell them all at once. Less if you don't. 400 from Firebead's robe, another 400 from the other mage's (Ugh...Phydia?) robe. A few other trinkets here and there but nothing of real import money wise.

So...without killing? About 1800, thief only. (Even a half-orc barbarian with rage can't bash the star-saphire chest.)
    With killing? A lot more.
  • verdegreenverdegreen Member Posts: 32
    Zaor said:

400 from Firebead's robe

I read that this has been fixed. If you kill Firebeard in Candlekeep he won't appear in Beregost.
  • ZaorZaor Member Posts: 69

Zaor said:

400 from Firebead's robe

I read that this has been fixed. If you kill Firebeard in Candlekeep he won't appear in Beregost.
    You know, just because he won't appear later, it doesn't mean you can't still kill him the first time and take his stuff. I'm not advocating it, but my answer for how much gold can you initially gather is still valid, irregardless of if he shows up later or not.
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    They should really add some Dialog where he pays you to leave him alone or something.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    By the way, what is the point of him casting protection from evil on you? In all likelihood at best it will help your defence against one (and only one) of the assassins, but it doesn't last long enough even for you to leave candlekeep with it on.
    @elminster I remember it always running out before or during the first round of fighting Shank or Carbos. A Potion of Defense would have been a much more useful reward.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Zaor said:

I also hear there is a pickpocket-able gem on a noble but I haven't been able to find it myself.

This turned out not to be true, at least in the original game. (I think that poster was confused about the star sapphire's location.)

I rolled a bard with ~60 in pickpocketing, and both nobles upstairs returned that "has no valid items" message on successful attempts.
  • GrandeCGrandeC Member Posts: 26
    @elminster I read that they're sorting out that protection from evil. Here's an interesting thread all about Firebead.

forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/498/bg1-firebead-elvenhairs-reward-from-tutorial-quest-well-sucks#latest
    @GrandeC thanks for the link
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607

Zaor said:

400 from Firebead's robe

It's FireBEAD! Not BEARD! He's an elf, elves don't have beards! GAW! :P
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,185
    edited September 2012
    ok guys here is the trick. He always gives you 300gp if you talk to him EXACTLY 30 times. But it takes roughly a second for that line to appear and if you talk to him again before he gives it to you, you won't get anything.
    Post edited by Pecca on
  • FrekFrek Member Posts: 15
    Hmmm..... I've been messing around with making characters in the original BG-TOTSC, with a paladin I made FB gave me 300 gold.

Then I made a dwarf F/C, before I talked to FB though I had the bug where a guard comes into the house to the north where the assassin tries to kill you. When you loot one of the containers in that room sometimes a guard comes in the house and tries to arrest you. I killed the guard. Then when I talked to FB he didn't give me 300.

Not sure what, but something can happen that FB won't give you 300 gold. There must be another condition attached besides just speaking to him 30 times.

I'm guessing that the first thing you want to do is go get the 300 gold.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    edited September 2012
    GoodSteve said:

It's FireBEAD! Not BEARD! He's an elf, elves don't have beards! GAW! :P

I always called him Firebread. Do I get toasted for it too? :P
    Next people are going to be thinking of him as firebreath
    @GoodSteve. I think the fact that his last name is "Elvenhair" has something to do with with the whole FireBEARD fail.

What kind of name is Firebead Elvenhair, anyway? All the more reason to put him out of his misery. :)
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    It's obviously a psuedonym. He's there to read books about sparkly vampires and doesn't want anyone to know who he really is.
  • OsirisMPOsirisMP Member Posts: 5
    Awesome didn't realise the money cheezzzzz. So now i can get tons of gold from him and then kill him as normal to get my first cheezy level. it will be harder to kill him without being able to [pause - interrupt spell] or [go upstairs - miss spell damage] but im up for the challenge >:) DOWN WITH FIREBEAD 2700 XP THANK YOU MUCHLY
  • baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145
    Ok just did this and got the 300. Soon as i spawned in i went o him and talked to him exactly 30 times then stopeed chatting to him a few seconds latter the 300 showed up.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    @baaddare Really? so exactly thirty? does that include the initial one where he asks you to get his scroll?
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Yes. ANY talking with him counts, which is why I now tell people to do it first thing so you don't forget about previous chats and screw yourself up.

If you're playing a mage, talk to him, get the 300gp. Get the Identify scroll. Buy your gear. Loot what you can. Spend any excess gold. Learn Identify. Save the game and start a new game and import your mage. You'll lose any gold you had but will keep learned spells and any equipment. And with a temple on the grounds you can easily spend your gold before restarting.

It's kind of cheap but, a free identify scroll and still doing the quest... =3
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    edited December 2012
    Awesome! It really does work, wasn't sure if it would work in the Enhanced Edition, but sure enough.
    When I tried the first time I kept talking, didn't know I had to talk exactly 30 times and stop.