Skip to content

A question for modders/ Modding and new creatures

ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
I dont know a thing about modding myself. But I wanted to ask a question. How hard is it to make new creatures for the game. I have long thought that some of the old standards in dungeon critters would be nice to have. Examples would be rust monster(eating nice metal weapons), slithering trackers to interrupt a nice rest, piercers to drop down on a party from above, and trappers to come up from the floor.
Myconids were a great addition I thought to the original games. We already have some nice slimes and oozes. (can you detect my gray druid tendancies yet, hehheh).
Just thinking aloud here and wondering what you folks thought.

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Well, the biggest issue is the animations. Assuming you aren't recoloring existing animations, you are going to have to create a ton of them for each creature. Your best bet is probably to get some from another IE game, like iwd2.

I'm not even sure how you would do something like a piercer as you describe, but you could probably look at the ankheg ( especially its script) for implementing this trapper ( though, again, animations)
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I was thinking that was one of the biggest issues. I am guessing there are specialized ppl to work on animations as it takes so much time as you mentioned. THe neolithid in SoD is one of the best I have seen yet. Heh, yeah the trapper popping up out the floor and doing a crushing attack would be nice.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    Zaghoul said:

I was thinking that was one of the biggest issues. I am guessing there are specialized ppl to work on animations as it takes so much time as you mentioned. THe neolithid in SoD is one of the best I have seen yet. Heh, yeah the trapper popping up out the floor and doing a crushing attack would be nice.

It's fairly easy to mess with existing animations if you only want to change the colors around. I've done plenty of that in DLTCEP. It is very intuitive, as easy as selecting a new palette

Maybe start small, test out how it works. Just mess with existing creatures for now--it is more than merely adding animations, but don't overwhelm yourself at first.

Get the latest version of DLTCEP:

Pick a creature, and mess around with it. Then save it. And then, go from there
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I needed a drink after just peaking at the DLTCEP stuff. Mainly just asking to know why experienced modders might or might not work on new creatures from scratch like the ones I mentioned. I am thinking this explains it hehheh.