Skip to content

Use BG1 sound sets for BG2?

TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
Is that possible? I grew quite accustomed to my character's voice from BG1 and I don't understand why they don't offer the original sound sets in BG2 as well. Maybe some additional action phrases were added in BG2?

And if that's not possible, is there an easy way to add new character sounds to the game? I googled around and only found overly complicated guides using some modding tools. I would have thought it would be similarly easy to using a custom portrait.

Also rant: why are there only a mere 4 female sound sets in BG2, all sounding weird in different ways? :-\

Comments

• BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    As I recall, BG2 has a different set of calls to sound files, such as "my weapon is innefective" and so on, making porting them a little more involved. You can rip the sound sets out of bg1 with near infinity if you want to mess around with that tool and you can't find a set with a google search.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    They should all be in:
    [game folder with chitin.key]/lang/en_US/sounds
    considering you play the game in english, no need to use NI for this task. You'll have to adjust the last letter on each file (look at sndlist.txt in that directory for reference) from the one BG1 uses to the one BG2 uses (there's another sndlist.txt on BG2's directory).
  • TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
    I'd really like to have the "weapon is ineffective" sound as it's easy to miss in the dialogue, so I guess BG1 voice won't cut it.

Can't seem to find any good alternative audio sets either. All I found were some incomplete ones ripped from IWD or so. I figure high-quality fan-made voice acting is a rare thing...

Guess I'm stuck with the Female4 aka default female set of BG2, which is pretty much the only "normal" one, although it's nowhere as good as the BG1 ones. I wonder what they were thinking. :-\

Hmm, as a last resort, I could try combining a BG1 set with a BG2 one to fill the gaps. A slight discrepancy might be acceptable given I won't be hearing the "weapon ineffective" sound that frequently.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited March 2017
    Check the awesome soundsets thread. SOmeone in there posted a simple way to port the BG1/SOD soundsets over to BG2.
    *EDIT* Found it. Look for Gutbuster's comment towards the top. They have the SOD soundsets in RAR file that you should be able to extract to BG2's sound folder.
  • TaylanTaylan Member Posts: 76
    Ahh, thank you, the NWNF_5 soundset is pretty great for my calm fighter/mage elf. Maybe even better than the original ("Commanding" female sound in BG1).

Setup went smooth too. Works great!