Skip to content

Dual-wielding or shield for a F/M?

MrFixitMrFixit Member Posts: 2
A long-time BG player here, but this is my first time trying out the Enhanced Edition. A simple question really, though one that is giving my OCD side some problems :D

I rolled up, legitimately and with much clicking, a multi-class F/M elf with STR 18/00, DEX 19, and CON 17 in an install with several mods, including Sword Coast Stratagems (though not with all the crazy difficulty-increasing options enabled). I know that in BG2 dual-wielding rules supreme, but I wonder if it's true for BG1 as well (save importing into the next game doesn't concern me). Simply put, I can't make up my mind between these two options:

(1) at lvl1 putting 2 points in longswords and 2 points in dual-wielding with the 3rd point coming at lvl3 and a point in longbows at lvl6;
(2) ignoring the dual-wield option altogether and going for 2 points in swords and 2 in bows right at the beginning with additional points at subsequent levels into something else.

My reasoning: I like dual-wielding for the obvious extra attack, giving me 2.5 instead of 1.5 att/round (at lvl7 increasing to 3 attacks instead of 2). On the other hand, since my F/M will be of lower AC due to limited armor options, I fear that the additional lack of a shield will only compound the problem. Also, in BG1 ranged weapons are fantastic, and I'd also miss out on longbow specialization. I imagine that with THACO values not going into stratosphere in BG1, I imagine the off-hand would still miss quite often with its -2 penalty.

The second scenario would somewhat limit my melee DPS, but it would substantially boost my ranged DPS and my AC.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. <3

Comments

• NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    In general, being able to fight at range is more important than being able to fight in melee for BG1. That being said, the difference between proficiency and non-proficiency for warriors is a measly -2 penalty, and the Elf bonus to bows negates this even further: a level 2 non-proficient elf fighter would be as good as a level 1 human fighter at using a bow, supposing the human hasn't gone for specialization.

You could probably get away with never becoming proficient in a single ranged weapon, even, doing something like 2 in longsword, 2 in dual wield, a 3rd in dual wield at 3, and at level 6, a point in another weapon type (Warhammer, perhaps, for crushing damage and Ashideen?)

MrFixit
  • MrFixitMrFixit Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys.

For some clarification: I am playing a full good-aligned party. Will probably look something like Jaheira, Yeslick/Branwen, Kivan, Coran, Imoen dual-classed into mage. I don't have SoD at the moment and I am not concerned with importing into BG2. So this F/M is strictly intended for BG1EE. I use mods, most notably SCS.

I lean towards dual-wielding myself, but I kinda want to witness the artillery awesomeness that is Kivan - Coran - bow-specialized Charname.

Gaaah, decisions, decisions!
  • GallengerGallenger Member Posts: 400
    You can do either or - but *usually* for those oh so squishy early days, I keep a shield on my F/M for life's little emergencies, but I tend to prefer dual wielding since that's where F/M shines, eventually, since you're the ultimate in tanking with or without a shield lol.
    ThacoBell
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Shields are nice, they require no points, and considering how dangerous ranged weapons are in the first Baldur's Gate game, quite nice to have on hand to avoid that damage.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    My personal experience is survivability trumps damage in early Baldur's Gate. How fast you kill enemies is secondary to them not being able to even hit you. That changes circa BG2 when things get thaco low enough to still reliably hit you, at which point killing them faster saves more hp than slowly but surely taking the hits.
    tbone1dunbarSomeSort
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    Bigfish said:

My personal experience is survivability trumps damage in early Baldur's Gate. How fast you kill enemies is secondary to them not being able to even hit you. That changes circa BG2 when things get thaco low enough to still reliably hit you, at which point killing them faster saves more hp than slowly but surely taking the hits.

the problem is enemy's WILL hit you then rolling 20 no matter how thick your shield or low your AC is so killing them fast is a thing to think about instead of upping you AC to silly amounts.

as for your F/M , his AC will be on par with Fighters due the Spells "1Armor, 3Ghost Armor and 4Spirit Armor" and the hits you get will be absorbed by Stoneskin and Mirror Image making a F/M more tanky than a Fighter ever could be.

you also WANT a blunt weapon , consider Quarterstaff's , the Staff-Mace is excellent , and should you import to BG2 you can swing staff of the magi for those big magic wielding bosses where APR matter little and you fling spells anyhow, just adding that odd magic dispel attack in between casts.
  • MrFixitMrFixit Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2017
    Oh well, I decided to have him dual-wield. Too much fun.

Totally unrelated, but did anyone notice Quayle having too many spell slots, at least as far as I understand 2nd edition rules (and I did play it back in the day)? My 2nd level version of the guy has 4 mage spells slots and 3 cleric spells slots when these numbers should be 3/2 (+1 mage spell for specialization, no bonus cleric spells due to WIS10). I used a mod (SCS or NPC Project, can't remember which one) that moved him to Nashkel fair, but nothing that should interfere with his spell progression. :o
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    A lot of NPCs seem to cheat compared to what PCs can do.
    ThacoBell
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Woolie_WoolWoolie_Wool Member Posts: 153
    You shouldn't be able to put multiple points in a proficiency at level 1. Unless you're using a mod that allows that, specializing at level 1 is forbidden.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

You shouldn't be able to put multiple points in a proficiency at level 1. Unless you're using a mod that allows that, specializing at level 1 is forbidden.

Fighter classes totally can.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.