Skip to content

Race Height/Size Comparison Charts (photos) for Baldur's Gate (AD&D 2nd Edition)

BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 452
I'm helping to work on a mod and I wanted to know what the relative sizes of the races were so that we could know for our writing. So using the 2nd Edition player's handbook's dice rolls for height and weight I created the following.

First here's the heights and weights for a PC, assuming their height and weight is average for their race (using the Player's Handbook for all the races except Drow and Half-Orc which I got from the Monstrous Manual and the Book of Humanoids).

Player Character is a Man

Halfling: 41" (3' 5") tall and 64.5 pounds.
Gnome: 41.5" (3' 5.5") tall and 84.5 pounds.
Elf: 60.5" (5' 0.5") tall and 106.5 pounds.
Half-Elf: 67" (5' 7") tall and 129.5 pounds.
Dwarf: 47.5 (3' 11.5") tall and 152 pounds.
Half-Orc: 66.5" (5' 6.5") tall and 168 pounds.
Human: 71" (5' 11") tall and 173 pounds.

Player Character is a Woman
Halfling: 39" (3' 3") tall and 60.5 pounds.
Gnome: 39.5" (3' 3.5") tall and 80.5 pounds.
Elf: 55.5" (4' 7.5") tall and 86.5 pounds.
Drow: 60" (5') tall and 107.5 pounds.
Half-Elf: 65" (5' 5") tall and 104.5 pounds.
Dwarf: 46.5" (3' 10.5") tall and 127 pounds.
Half-Orc: 64.5" (5' 4.5") tall and 128 pounds.
Human: 70" (5'10") tall and 133 pounds.

So using those, and pictures from Athlete by Howard Schatz I tried to find pictures of various athletes with a similar body-mass index to each character and then made some of the pictures bigger and smaller as necessary. In some cases I could not find any picture that really matched so I just picked the best one.

Pictures have been modified if I couldn't find anyone the right size (for example the athletes representing halflings, dwarves, and gnomes are all taller and some are thinner as well).

The athletes involved are:
Women:
Gnome: Dawn Ellerbe- hammer throwing
Drow: Tobey Gifford- sport aerobics
Half-Orc: Stacy Dragila- pole vault
Human: Stacey Sykora- volleyball
Half-Elf: Svetlana Khorkina- gymnastics
Elf: Tara Nott- weightlifting
Dwarf: Cheryl Haworth-weightlifting
Halfling: Connie Price-Smith- shotput

Men:
Gnome: Adam Nelson- shotput
Dwarf: Shane Hamman- weightlifting
Half-Orc: Brandon Slay- wrestling
Human: Dan O'Brien- decathlon
Half-Elf: Bob Kennedy- long distance running
Elf: Johnny Gray- running
Halfling: Vince Munoz- handball

Photos used without Howard Schwatz's permission, but I linked to both his website and his book on amazon so hopefully that makes up for it. Here they are again: The Book. The website.
Post edited by BCaesar on
DJKajurulunarSkatan[Deleted User]grisbossk

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Cool! I didn't notice elves are that smaller than humans. Well, I think my faves are half-elves. :smiley:
    [Deleted User]
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    Half-orcs always came across as burlier and taller than humans for me, it's weird that they're supposed to be shorter.

Gnomes always came across as a mix of halfling and dwarf.
    [Deleted User]
  • BCaesarBCaesar Member Posts: 452
    edited March 2017
    Nuin said:

Half-orcs always came across as burlier and taller than humans for me, it's weird that they're supposed to be shorter.

Gnomes always came across as a mix of halfling and dwarf.

The gigantic half-orcs started in 3rd edition. Baldur's Gate is supposed to be AD&D 2nd Edition, but they picked up the idea of gigantic half-orcs with super strength and con. Here's the height and weight charts from the D&D 3.5 player's manual. Notice the differences from the photos above (3.5 has gigantic half-orcs and much smaller gnomes and halflings):

Post edited by BCaesar on
    Nuin[Deleted User]grisbossk
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I'm much more a fan of the more human like interpretation of half orcs. I always use EEKeeper to use a human avatar and color it green ;) I also reduce some of the bonus stats.
    Aerakar[Deleted User]
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    edited March 2017
    I usually don't even talk to people under 6', I always imagine my party to reflect that. Aerie will always be a lank 6'5" beauty in my eyes, and Neera a delightful 6'3" tower with a pink crown.

I usually don't even talk to people under 6', I always imagine my party to reflect that. Aerie will always be a lank 6'5" beauty in my eyes, and Neera a delightful 6'3" tower with a pink crown.

As opposed to Neera looking like Svetlana Khorkina? At 5' 5" she was a giant gymnast. She towered over all her competition in the Olympics.
    BCaesar said:

As opposed to Neera looking like Svetlana Khorkina? At 5' 5" she was a giant gymnast. She towered over all her competition in the Olympics.

I don't do halflings.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

BCaesar said:

I don't do halflings.
    Your loss.
    tbone1
    edited March 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Your loss.

But not a big one.
    [Deleted User]

I don't do halflings.

Haha. 5'5" is half-elves. Halflings are 3'3".

So I suppose if you were a halfling then Neera and Aerie would be a giants, but your giant human character could probably rest your chin on their heads, because they are little tiny (fictional) women. Short. Petite. Not tall at all. They look lanky only because they're also really skinny. Just something to think about when you're playing. Aerie probably isn't even 4' 9". Not that I'm trying to ruin your game or anything...
    ThacoBell

Just curious, how tall are you anyway?
    BCaesar said:

Too.

BCaesar said:

Too.
    Hmm, I can work with that. What portrait do you like to use when you play?
    BCaesar said:

Never default for CHARNAME, always custom. NPCs are mostly default, except for Imoen.
    edited March 2017

BCaesar said:

Never default for CHARNAME, always custom. NPCs are mostly default, except for Imoen.
    Well then, this will have to do. I made you a gift. You are played by Alonzo Mourning. I didn't even have to shrink or grow anyone, as Alonzo Mourning is that tall and I also found Aerie and Neera sized athletes (in this case a gymnast and a long-distance runner).

ThacoBell
  • unholy_avengerunholy_avenger Member Posts: 29
    Wait a minute. Why are Half-Orcs shorter and lighter than humans? Were Orcs dyel in 2E or something?

Wait a minute. Why are Half-Orcs shorter and lighter than humans? Were Orcs dyel in 2E or something?

In first and second edition orcs were like the smaller orcs in Lord of the Rings (where D&D got them). Smaller than humans, generally low-level cannon fodder. There were also bigger orcs in Lord of the Rings (made by Saruman by breeding them with humans) which were more like the orcs used in WarHammer (and later Warcraft). By 3.5 D&D moved to the bigger orcs which is why half-orcs there are gigantic.

So 2nd Edition half-orcs are shorter and lighter than humans, but they actually are heavier for their height (similar to dwarves) which is why they're stronger.