Skip to content

Legacy of the Masters usable by Kensai?

So I started a new character a few days ago, a Kensai, and yesterday I noticed that he is capable of equipping the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise aka Legacy of the Masters. At first I thought this was a bug, since Kensai can't wear any armor or bracers, but then I noticed that Kensai can equip the gauntles in BG2: EE as well. Also, they could equip the Gauntlets of Extraordinary Specialization in ToB, too. Is this intended behavior?

Comments

• It isn't. Just created a human kensai and I can't equip them.

Are you perhaps using mods?
  • unholy_avengerunholy_avenger Member Posts: 29
    @HalfCelestial, just the tweak pack, and only a few select components.

Also, I just checked the wiki http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Gauntlets_of_Weapon_Expertise and it lists them as usable by all.
  • It doesn't matter what the wiki says. The description of Kensai clearly says they aren't capable of using gloves/bracelets. I just checked, in my up-to-date, unmodded BG2EE game if you can equip them, and you can't.

I'd say your mod is the culprit here. Do you have a clean backup of your game? Try it there.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    too lazy to make a screenshoot but "not usable by Wizard Slayer/Kensai"

It doesn't matter what the wiki says. The description of Kensai clearly says they aren't capable of using gloves/bracelets. I just checked, in my up-to-date, unmodded BG2EE game if you can equip them, and you can't.

I'd say your mod is the culprit here. Do you have a clean backup of your game? Try it there.

Meh, I'll just keep using them. I always thought it was unfair that Kensai can't use them anyway, especially the ToB gauntlets which add an extra 1/2 APR.
  • I really don't see the unfairness given the huge amount of damage they can naturally deal compared to other warriors.
    edited March 2017

I really don't see the unfairness given the huge amount of damage they can naturally deal compared to other warriors.

At high levels? Sure. At low levels though, an enraged Berserker wearing the gauntlets and Helm of Balduran will have the THAC0 and damage bonus of a Kensai in his teens. And they still get to wear armor, too. Even a vanilla Fighter will outperform a Kensai in low levels. Beamdog should have added some ioun stones to the game to help out low level Kensai and Monks.

Also, from a RP point of view, the Kensai fight without armor so it doesn't hinder their movement and damage potential, so gauntlets that would improve their killing power would be perfectly okay, IMO. I mean they can use ioun stones, which boost their abilities, so it's not like the Wizard Slayer, who flat out hates magic and magic items.
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421

I really don't see the unfairness given the huge amount of damage they can naturally deal compared to other warriors.

At high levels? Sure. At low levels though, an enraged Berserker wearing the gauntlets and Helm of Balduran will have the THAC0 and damage bonus of a Kensai in his teens. And they still get to wear armor, too. Even a vanilla Fighter will outperform a Kensai in low levels. Beamdog should have added some ioun stones to the game to help out low level Kensai and Monks.

Also, from a RP point of view, the Kensai fight without armor so it doesn't hinder their movement and damage potential, so gauntlets that would improve their killing power would be perfectly okay, IMO. I mean they can use ioun stones, which boost their abilities, so it's not like the Wizard Slayer, who flat out hates magic and magic items.
    thats the thing with kits , some trade offs are better than others. if you want that gloves helmets and armor you cant have kensai boni, if you want that delicious tons of damage and hit in late game you cant have the vital fighter stuff..unless abusing dual thief/ mage mechanic.

but hey its a single player game in his almost 20's you can play a Pink Gnoll from out of space using his stubby tail to exclusively whip people to death as long as you have fun :3
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

Beamdog should have added some ioun stones to the game to help out low level Kensai and Monks.

Why? They already have unparalleled mid level damage per round as far as warriors go, why phase out their weakest point? Don't get me wrong, I think the Kensai is a garbage single class that begs for dualling but it's not that hard to make them useful in BG1 with a bit of effort. Shield Amulet comes immediately to mind.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    If you're playing the EE then ioun stones wouldn't help much anyway - they no longer provide critical hit protection.
    Grond0 said:

If you're playing the EE then ioun stones wouldn't help much anyway - they no longer provide critical hit protection.

An equivalent of the Helm of Charm Protection or Helm of Defense would have been nice tho.

Beamdog should have added some ioun stones to the game to help out low level Kensai and Monks.

Why? They already have unparalleled mid level damage per round as far as warriors go, why phase out their weakest point? Don't get me wrong, I think the Kensai is a garbage single class that begs for dualling but it's not that hard to make them useful in BG1 with a bit of effort. Shield Amulet comes immediately to mind.
    Sure, they can be useful, my Kensai currently holds 70% of the kills in the party, but that's mostly due to dual-wielding, his ridiculous strength, and going above specialization. Any offensive fighter can do that, while still wearing armor.