Skip to content

Would you pay for new painted backgrounds?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
If enough people say they are ready to pay for new interior and exterior areas, we can try to contact either the people who painted the originals for Bioware or the people who work for Beamdog and set up a Kickstarter project. The backgrounds would then be available to modders to use in their work - and ultimately to the fans.

Don't walk away, say you would or not.
  1. Would you pay for new painted backgrounds?26 votes
    1. Yes, I would pay something
      42.31%
    2. No, not me
      57.69%

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I could (but not necessary would) pay for new areas if they were to be released officialy. I would not pay for mere assets for modders. While many modders do great job, I won't concern myself with assets for them. It's their problem to tackle. I am okay with donaitng to modder once in a while, but that's different.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    O_Bruce said:

I could (but not necessary would) pay for new areas if they were to be released officialy. I would not pay for mere assets for modders. While many modders do great job, I won't concern myself with assets for them. It's their problem to tackle. I am okay with donaitng to modder once in a while, but that's different.

I'm in this boat as well, although I didn't think of it this way when I cast my vote.

Granted, I appreciate the work modders do, and if a modder taking on a particularly heavy duty mod asked for a donation here and there I'd certainly help out. But paying for assets for modders to use freely isn't something I'd be interested in, as I'm not a modder myself.

But, if they were new areas being released officially, I'd be all for it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited March 2017
    If that were the only thing I'd be paying for the answer is no, but if beamdog says "we're making a new game or expansion that also adds new backgrounds lots of other stuff for modders " then I would surely invest on it.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I believe WOTC said they would not allow Kickstarter​s for DnD.

That being said, I would contribute a couple bucks. Even for a DLC or something.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768

I believe WOTC said they would not allow Kickstarter​s for DnD.

That being said, I would contribute a couple bucks. Even for a DLC or something.

If the kickstarter was for "Isometric scenery and backgrounds", then D&D wouldn't be involved.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    @chimeric - have you checked out the extras on the ToEE download at GOG? There are six hi-res maps included. Of course, there's no light maps, search maps, height maps, wall polygons, etc.. (all the resources that are needed to convert a background into a functioning area).
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I might pay for new playable maps but just the backgrounds? Nope, there is absolutely no point.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    @AstroBryGuy , No, I hadn't seen that. But I looked now, and a few of the maps of ToEE look good (not all). I don't know about the extra maps they're offering.