Skip to content

(Spoilers) Ankheg Plate vs. Full Plate

Was Ankheg Plate changed so that it can be worn with rings? And if so, is there a point to Full Plate at this point?

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Full Plate gives overall better stats. -3 vs. slashing and -2 vs. piercing/missile while Ankheg Plate gives -2 vs. slashing and 0 vs. piercing/missile.

I don't know if Ankheg Plate used to prevent wearing other protection items but it shouldn't as it's not supposed to be an enchanted item.
    MelicampAerakar
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    Yeah after reading that thread, not sure I agree. *Logically* it makes sense, but I think it was made "magical" for balance purposes.
  • MelicampMelicamp Member Posts: 243
    I believe there's a mod out there that makes it AC 2 base instead of AC 1 which it is now. Which makes sense. Better AC than Platemail, but not better than Full Plate.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Melicamp said:

I believe there's a mod out there that makes it AC 2 base instead of AC 1 which it is now. Which makes sense. Better AC than Platemail, but not better than Full Plate.

If we assume that 25% of all enemy attacks are slashing, 25% of all attacks are crushing, 25% are piercing (melee), and 25% are missile, then Full Plate Mail has an average AC of -1.5 and Ankheg Plate has an average of -0.25, so Full Plate Mail is *already* more than a full point of AC better. (Assuming that particular attack-type distribution, but honestly, anything except a ton of crushing will put Full Plate Mail well ahead.)

Which isn't to say that Ankheg Plate isn't ridiculously good still. It's end-game armor for a ton of classes that are locked out of full-plate or characters with strength deficiencies, (Viconia is never not rocking the Ankheg Green in my games. I even go out of my way to forge her a set in BG2 unless I'm planning on giving her the Gauntlets of Ogre Power). Of course, it's almost as expensive as Full Plate unless you... *ahem*... stumble upon a set in some random field or something. So it makes sense for it to be almost as good as Full Plate.

But for a fighter-type who isn't locked out of Full Plate, who isn't strength deficient, and for whom money is no object, there's never a reason to not wear Full Plate unless you really just happen to love that particular shade of green. Full Plate is unambiguously better.
    Grond0Aerakarsarevok57
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    SomeSort said:

Melicamp said:

If we assume that 25% of all enemy attacks are slashing, 25% of all attacks are crushing, 25% are piercing (melee), and 25% are missile, then Full Plate Mail has an average AC of -1.5 and Ankheg Plate has an average of -0.25, so Full Plate Mail is *already* more than a full point of AC better. (Assuming that particular attack-type distribution, but honestly, anything except a ton of crushing will put Full Plate Mail well ahead.)

Which isn't to say that Ankheg Plate isn't ridiculously good still. It's end-game armor for a ton of classes that are locked out of full-plate or characters with strength deficiencies, (Viconia is never not rocking the Ankheg Green in my games. I even go out of my way to forge her a set in BG2 unless I'm planning on giving her the Gauntlets of Ogre Power). Of course, it's almost as expensive as Full Plate unless you... *ahem*... stumble upon a set in some random field or something. So it makes sense for it to be almost as good as Full Plate.

But for a fighter-type who isn't locked out of Full Plate, who isn't strength deficient, and for whom money is no object, there's never a reason to not wear Full Plate unless you really just happen to love that particular shade of green. Full Plate is unambiguously better.
    Until I write that rust monster mod ...
    dustbubsyAerakarZaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @tbone1

Pa-lease do it. My gray druid needs a nice 'yard dog' roaming around watching out for those nasty ol metal armor & sword wielding types tromping about the dungeons and caverns. We needs us a cute little rust monster :) .
    Sure would put a crimp in someones day, hehheh.
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Full Plate is better due to better more bonuses vs slashing and piercing, although Ankheg Plate has the benefit of being MUCH lighter, meaning it's useful for low STR characters such as Viconia.

Aerakar