Skip to content

What is a "Steam key"?

The info on P:TEE mentions that a "Steam key" will be available to people who purchase from Beamdog instead of from Steam.

I know what "Steam" is, but what is a "Steam key"? And why would someone want it?

Thanks!

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    When you buy a game outside of valve, it won't show up in your steam inventory unless you have a steam key.

However, I believe Steam now has pre-order for planescape, so if you want it on Steam right away (without the hassle of going through support) you can order it there.
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    But ordering through Steam, while saving you an email, gives less $$$ to the developer. Plus you are getting a DRM game instead of both DRM-free and DRM.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2017
    Basically a steam key is a series of letters and numbers (which are unique to just you) that you can use to add a game to Steam (without having to purchase it in the Steam store).

Some people prefer Steam (maybe because they like having a big library in one place or like to be able to pull up a guide in game).
  • GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    edited April 2017
    elminster said:

Some people prefer Steam (maybe because they like having a big library in one place or like to be able to pull up a guide in game).

Achievements can be fun too. :)
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I like achievements, generally.

I've never pulled up a guide in-game though. Never thought to do that before but it's so obviously possible. Dang.
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 877
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the replies!

So it sounds like there's no point in getting the Steam key, unless one already likes using Steam...
    Post edited by Thrasymachus on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited April 2017
    :*

wait, is that a whistle or a kiss? I mean it as a whistle, ain't kissin' nobody. :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by deltago on
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    teh serialz
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108

Thanks for the replies!

So it sounds like there's no point in getting the Steam key, unless one already likes using Steam...

Well if you like achievements and clouds.