Skip to content

Drow Equipment

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
As I wander in the Underdark for the first time, I've come across a number of Drow war parties. None of them were particularly powerful, but they were all armed to the teeth, including +5 (!?) Full Plates with -4 AC basic and Chainmail + 3 that's perfect for my Fighter/Mage Charname. Of course I've read the description and I guess these items will probably be destroyed the moment I leave the Underdark, and thus they are also not worth much for sale.

Outta curiosity, does this reflect D&D lore, where the Drow somehow craft incredibly powerful weapons and armour in great quantities, but cannot figure out a way to prevent it disintegrating in sunlight. In which case I imagine it'd be pretty difficult for Drow to invade the surface, and vice versa for 'surfacers' to invade their Underdark realm, since their standard warriors seemed to be equipped as well as the greatest heroes on the surface.

Or is this just the result of game design and balance? I've had a think about it... I guess the devs might've wanted to make it viable for players to rush off to save Imoen asap, or delay doing so until they've done all the surface sidequests. Drow equipment gives those who rushed Chapter 2 a fighting chance in the Underdark by giving them a temporary equipment boost whilst they are trapped in the Underdark?

Either way, I'm not complaing, Minsc/Anomen are much better protected (for) now, and Charname can finally wear great armour that doesn't prevent spellcasting :D
RAM021

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2013
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    If memory serves, the Drow equipment in BG2 is a little more powerful than is common in the source books. Also, Drow equipment degrades over time (a couple of weeks).
    RAM021
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Yes, full plate +5 is absurdly ridiculously good. Also there is a cloak that gives something like +75% to both stealth skills. They all disintegrate once you reach the surface. The drow cheat you see.
    RAM021djcamodude123
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Them drows have surnames like X'larraz'et'soj, ittle wonder they make strange items.
    sarevok57djcamodude123
  • zur312zur312 Member Posts: 1,366
    i am more curious about dragon names
    nizzdramayian anyone? ;d
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Sunlight rapidly decays drow armors (within literally minutes), but it also degrades slowly when removed from the Underdark, even if it's protected.

Also there are several special oils produced by the priestesses of Lolth that can be used to give limited protection to sunlight for raiders (only lasts about an hour though), but none available in game. Drow who live on the surface, make due with other gear.
  • USNavyJHarrisUSNavyJHarris Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I have a question regarding 5e (especially if there are any fellow DMs) Does the sunlight effect only work on Drow items or is the same weakness present in items created by Svirfneblin, Duergar, Illithid, etc?