Skip to content

[Total Newbie] I want to make custom equipment

RathorneRathorne Member Posts: 1
Hi all,

It's been many years since I've played BG & BG2, but I've started again. Once I've finished playing through, I'd like to go back and create an old character of mine as the protagonist. What I need help with is that I'd like to create his old equipment, which the games obviously do not have.

So how would I go about doing this? I don't want to modify the existing equipment, but make new items. What program(s) would I need? What would I need to do?

If there is a thread (or threads) explaining all this already, I apologize in advance and ask that you point me in the right direction with the appropriate level of hazing.

Questions? Comments? Sarcastic Remarks?

TIA

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I've never done *custom* equipment, but an idea came to me:
    Step 1- With near infinity you can edit an existing item , right? When you do that it creates a replacement file on your override folder. There you can simply rename the item file , that way it becomes a new item.
    (I haven't tested it yet, though)

Step 2- I'm not a modder, I don't know how to create custom npc's , stores etc. But considering that your custom item exists you can use near infinity one more time so a (non) joinable npc can havebit equiped, or you can place the item in an existing chest, or simply clua console it if you just want it in your hands.

As for adding effects to , I remember that some things don't work simply by adding it on the item, there are some codes you need to add on it, sp if I were you I would take a look at some item file with similar powers , take notes on its particularities and copy those on your own item (I did that once trying to make BG1 sarevok's sword more similar to bg2's sword of chaos).

That's my non modding suggestion.

• XzanahXzanah Member Posts: 145
    I recommend DLTCEP to everyone unless they use scripts. DLTCEP is almost like EEKeeper - you can open the program, set the install directory, and modify items, creatures, games, etc. DLTCEP is as easy as it gets (at least for me).

Just don't forget to click "Settings" on the top right of the opened window, and then "Read Only" to uncheck it. Click Settings>Save in order to keep it that way.

Modding items (if you want equip effects) is easy to understand after awhile. DONT FORGET TO BACK UP YOUR DIALOG.TLK FILE! DLTCEP edits it whenever you change a description! So back it up to stay safe. If you need anything else, just message me :tongue:

Happy modding!

-Xzanah
    Baptor
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Xzanah
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

Near Infinity and DLTCEP have more or less the same capabilities. It just depends on which UI works better for you. Me, I find DLTCEP to be kind of annoyingly inscrutable. So I much prefer NI. People should try both and decide which they like better.

Why not both?
    GrammarsaladXzanah