Skip to content

In hindsight - Comparing the Enhanced Edition games

Okay, before I get to the point, I will say that I have always supported what beam dog and their games and will likely continue to do so (though can you please hurry up and do a stand-alone old school D&D RPG already??).

I just wanted to discuss the different enhanced edition games and what I personally might've preferred they do with them. I think everyone will agree that a true HD version of the games would've been ideal though the fact that the source art was lost meant it could not happen.

Now that I have seen Planescape: Torments minimalist approach to enhancements, I cant help but feel it might've been better if all the games were done this way. I know part of this is nostalgia speaking, but the new characters in BGEE stand out, even if you feel they were good characters. For one, the fact that they have much more voiced dialogue makes them stick out compared to the rest. Though the content additions are not necessarily what bothers me the most, but the UI design in particular. I've never been able to stand that blue UI that BGEE shipped with, and to this day I'm still hoping for a mod that is in the style of the original. The PSTEE UI looks great. High resolution, no ridiculous tiny buttons, and keeps the spirit of the original perfectly (by that I mean pretty much exactly the same).

I get that with PSTEE they wanted to keep the game close to the original because it was so highly regarded by fans, even more so than Baldurs Gate. Still, I cant help but feel that maybe Baldurs Gate should have been treated the same way.

Having said that, I hope BGEE gets a 3.0 patch with a lot of the stuff included in PSTEE.

KilivitzdustbubsyMontresor_SPRavenslight

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    What you can pull from it, is that they are learning as they go.

When BG:EE was first announced, there might have been trepidation of releasing an enhanced edition game without any added bonuses to it. Would players actually pay $20 for an old game with just minor adjustments?

We now know the answer is yes, but the risk was too high to take back when it was first proposed.

I also dont think vanilla BG aged well. Remember weapon proficiencies were basic and vague (spiked weapons, blunt weapons) and spell selection minimal and only basic classes, no kits.

That in itself wouldn't be able to compete with a modded BG.
    ThacoBell
  • EscarcheEscarche Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2017
    For me PST:EE seems more like a let-down, though I respect Beamdog's decisions. The new content would make me replay the game in the heart bit and now it just waits on the long list (I still need to beat Tides of Numenera and Trails in the Sky SC). I'd gladly see new party members and adventures, just like I'd like having just some new items that Planescape's gameplay desperately needs. Aaand there's only UI changes. Really good UI changes, but - boring!

Beamdog should focus on better integration of their content as they progress - not completely remove it. Or should I say, not make any new new content at all. I hope your admiration won't let them think that they're doing a better thing with this minimalistic approach.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    To be honest Im hoping that PSTEE is the last Enhanced Edition we see for a while, and id rather see fresh content. I mean David Gaiders gotta be doing something productive, right?
    KuronaCrevsDaak
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    I agree with Kilivitz. And I can't agree more with the approach they chose for PST:EE. But as much as I'd like to see previous EEs taking this approach, I don't think it has ever before been possible to release an EE in such a good state as this last one. Simply because they had to learn first.
  • DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173
    I don't mind Beamdog 'learning as they go', but hope they apply what they've learned in releasing IWD:EE and PST:EE to Baldur's Gate. For instance, I would have preferred the new movies in BG:EE to be optional and really hope all the classic movies will be restored in a future patch.
    dustbubsy
  • KrugosKrugos Member Posts: 30
    I guess I'm in the minority, as I really enjoyed having new companions and locations in the BG games, though perhaps it should have been made optional so people could experience something closer to the originals if they wanted to.

Also, I would have liked to have more content in Planescape, as that game always felt kind of small compared to the other Infinity Engine games, but I'm still happy either way, extra content or not.
    CrevsDaaktbone1GrumEscarche