Skip to content

Aerie or Neera?

13»

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited April 2017
    Attalus said:

Personally, I have taken Neera (and Nalia and Immie) through twice, not had this problem and find her charming. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

I like her in general, and even managed one endgame romance run with her but as it comes down to luck with bad wild surges, it is still a little bit of a crap shoot on what happens (no-reloads esp.). I have added the two different mods (and like) that expand her banter with both CHARNAME and NPC's but just don't like the risk involved. She is actually the only arcane user I MIGHT consider using with my now usual druid runs (the 'WILD' bit gets me there) as they generally have neg. views on the arcane and clerics as well(so no Aerie as well.)

But as to the thread topic, Aerie just does not have enough in the way of quest additions in comparison to Neera, and to me, that is more imp. than a power rating.

As Nalia has been brought up, I can see in some of her banters that she has the possibility of going through a change in outlook or even alignment if given a little more attn. in development.
  • islandkingislandking Member Posts: 426
    edited April 2017
    SomeSort said:

To anyone who takes her versatility as gospel, try bringing her along in a 6-person party as your primary arcane spellcaster, (no Imoen, no Neera, no Nalia, no Edwin), and see how she does.

I’m sure she’ll do just fine :) except she’s gonna whine more as it’s her duty to patch up everybody’s wounds upon returning to tavern, she also has to stay up late, dragging her fragile body in dim light of candles preparing all necessary spells the team need for tomorrow’s journey when everybody’s sound sleep. She’ll get up early, standing at the tavern doors to make sure everybody receive her divine blessings before they charge their muscles into the next battle. She must concentrate herself in battles, tossing fireballs at enemies, silencing hostile mages, summoning, moving herself quickly across the battlefield to tend to the wounded, she also need to focus her senses looking for vicious traps hidden possibly everywhere at heat of battle and do a bit of shoutings to warn her berserkers in time so that they don’t accidently step on them. Even after so many laborious battles for her, she still has to deal with occasional dry jokes her companions thrown at her:”Hey Aerie, you look super bored sitting in the back line, wanna be a tanky avariel for a change?” Every day is exhausting for her, she don’t even have time to write to Quayle, who deeply cares for her, and soon the party will return to Copper Coronet where she needs to do her chores over again.
    Burden weighs heavily on her shoulders until the day party meet Edwin and Abdel decides to let him join, at least from then on she’ll have more hours of sleep and leave most of battles to him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the reverse scenario isn’t going exactly the same in which Edwin starts as the only spellcaster in party. Edwin Odesseiron prefers battles to end swiftly and efficiently with the might of arcane power in his hands, he doesn’t take pleasure in obliterating foes, he just wants all to end quickly to save time, after all, that’s not the primary reason why he’s been following you. In taverns, Edwin’ll lock himself in his room all night studying some new-found, forbidden-as-hell magic tomes. Well, at least until there’re some knocks coming from the wooden door disrupting his thoughts and then he’ll shout furiously at the direction :”QUIET you insufferable monkeys go fetch your own diapers, I DON’T HEAL!”
    It is like that before the party meet Aerie and Abdel decides to let her join, from then on, everybody gets happier :)
    Post edited by islandking on
    Son_of_ImoenSkatanUnderstandMouseMagic
  • LughChulainnLughChulainn Member Posts: 14
    Aerie is an utter beast when you give her the Robes of Vecna and the Amulet of Power.
    ThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    SomeSort said:

To anyone who takes her versatility as gospel, try bringing her along in a 6-person party as your primary arcane spellcaster, (no Imoen, no Neera, no Nalia, no Edwin), and see how she does.

Actually, this was my standard playstyle for awhile. She is fully capable of the only caster in the party.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited April 2017
    SomeSort said:

I've done this, with (IIRC) a shadow dancer CHARNAME, Mazzy, Valygar, Anomen, and Jaheira. Replacing V or M with Keldorn would make it easier because of his Dispel Magics and True Sights. It was a challenge, mind, but it made me more mindful of what the divine casters could do.
  • LabyrinthodontLabyrinthodont Member Posts: 20
    Yeah, I'm leaning towards making her the main caster in a party of four. I get that it's probably not optimal, but I've done "the practical play through" at least thrice over. I'm feeling a warrior party right now. Bear in mind, there will be rotations. I'll hire on Yoshimo for slaver's bay and some other critical thief areas. I may let Neera tag along until sparks fly with Aerie. Imoen will tag along from the asylum until Bodhi. If I do that, I don't think a "core" party of MC barbarian, Minsc, Keldorn, Aerie will be too difficult. I could be wrong though.