Skip to content

Amazing stats roll!

Rolling up a new ranger, just for fun, and got this amazing stats roll so I had to come brag!

Of course, it took more than 8 min of rerolls to get this, but still... I've never rolled this for any other character in my decades of replaying this game. *dance dance!* :p

[Deleted User]sarevok57proccoGrond0ArctodusPapa_LouNoobaccaAndreaColomboThacoBellJuliusBorisovrede9Aerakar[Deleted User]islandkingGrumElysianEchoes[Deleted User]lolien

Comments

• pukingdogpukingdog Member Posts: 25
    must have been a wild surge 8-)
    NoobaccaThacoBellsarevok57laeknir
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Jealous.

At least I would have been if I hadn't recently found out the cheat..........Nah, still jealous.
    Never, ever got higher than 93 total.

Well done and enjoy. :)
    Grond0
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    edited April 2017
    gismorum said:

I lost a 102 on a cavalier the other day

I rolled a 100 on a Knight instead; but I forgot to export until level 11 and I put wrong proficiency slot. Knight needs axe as range weapon.

Post edited by rede9 on
    laeknir
  • proghead3proghead3 Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2017
    That's a nice one, too bad your luck was used up on a ranger. :)

My best rolls (after MANY years of playing the game):

Cavalier with 97 (18/00 str)
    Inquisitor with 101 (18/51 str)
    Human fighter with 95 (18/99 str)
    Human invoker with 99
    laeknir
  • DevardKrownDevardKrown Member Posts: 421
    101 Assassin
    100 Cleric

only times i saw the 3 magic digits.. since then i don't feel bad for EE keepering this values. (i probably spend 2 days of my life on the re-roll screen)
    laeknir
  • laeknirlaeknir Member Posts: 58
    gismorum said:

I lost a 102 on a cavalier the other day. It was like the third reroll click so I wasn't prepared for it. I tend to spam the button too fast while concentrating on seeing a 9X number >_>

I miss a lot of 95+s that way, heh.

Jealous.

At least I would have been if I hadn't recently found out the cheat..........Nah, still jealous.
    Never, ever got higher than 93 total.

Well done and enjoy. :)

Heh, thanks! Every once in a while I've played with high stats by using the cheats to pop in those stat books, but this somehow makes the character feel more special. I kinda wish it'd happened on a mage or cleric, but I'm happy to have the very random luck this time around! I think I'll play this ranger all the way through to the end in ToB.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Awesome! I've never had the blessing of a three digit stat roll.

However, my most recent charname (a halfling fighter/thief) managed to roll a solid 98 within my first ten clicks.

Read the next half of this post at your own discretion. You've been warned.

I skipped the 98 on purpose. Sue me, but I'm such a heavy roleplayer that all those stats just didn't suit the character I had in mind. I ended up rolling an 86 later on that I stuck with instead.

That's right. I deliberately skipped a 98 and kept an 86. Tomas already had 19 dexterity, there was no need for him to have insanely high numbers in every stat, especially not wisdom and intelligence. It just didn't suit the character.

I'll see my own way out. :D
    Arctoduslaeknir[Deleted User]Montresor_SP
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Papa_Lou said:

However, my most recent charname (a halfling fighter/thief) managed to roll a solid 98 within my first ten clicks.

I skipped the 98 on purpose. Sue me, but I'm such a heavy roleplayer that all those stats just didn't suit the character I had in mind. I ended up rolling an 86 later on that I stuck with instead.

That's right. I deliberately skipped a 98 and kept an 86. Tomas already had 19 dexterity, there was no need for him to have insanely high numbers in every stat, especially not wisdom and intelligence. It just didn't suit the character.

You don't need to pass on a roll. You could always just not assign all of the points. I once played through as a racial/class minimum-stats Halfling F/T, which meant even on a 75 I was leaving a lot of points unassigned.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    SomeSort said:

Papa_Lou said:

You don't need to pass on a roll. You could always just not assign all of the points. I once played through as a racial/class minimum-stats Halfling F/T, which meant even on a 75 I was leaving a lot of points unassigned.
    I roll my stats in my own auto roller, then set the stats to match in the game. I rolled a 92, which I thought was pretty good, so I fired up the game... and got a 99 on my first roll. It hurt a little to unassign 7 of those points, that was the highest roll I've ever gotten.
    [Deleted User]Montresor_SP
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    edited April 2017
    That's quite amazing, I never rolled anything higher than 96, and only happened once or twice with classes like the paladin or the shadowdancer, because they get high rolls more frequently.

I think someone here once calculated the likelihood of reaching such high numbers. Yeah, not likely. You're one lucky fella.
    laeknir
  • gismorumgismorum Member Posts: 9
    What's even worse is rolling stats if you're both power gamer and roleplayer AND you absolutely refuse to keeper stats because it makes it feel like a "dirty character" B)

So, naturally as a power gamer you want to have 18/18/18 physical stats for almost any character but then your roleplayer side tells you that for example a 3 in intellect, or any other "dumping stat" (which doesn't exist for roleplayers) is not acceptable.

I had major trouble when I rolled up a berserker I wanted to dual to >druid, after 2 hours of nonstop rolling I managed to get a lower-mid 90s roll (yay fighter 3s..), enough to satisfy the dualing req. but needless to say the lowest of goblins could have thaught the guy a thing or two......or probably even more. ~_~

Needless to say soon after I lost interest in him because the unrealistically low int bugged me from an RP standpoint. ~_~

I was reminded of fallout 1 and it's hilarious low-int dialog choices:

1.uuuhhhhh..
    2.blaaaarrgh..
    3.nnnmmmm..
    AndreaColombo[Deleted User]laeknirArtona

That's quite amazing, I never rolled anything higher than 96, and only happened once or twice with classes like the paladin or the shadowdancer, because they get high rolls more frequently.

I think someone here once calculated the likelihood of reaching such high numbers. Yeah, not likely. You're one lucky fella.

I imagine the odds have to be super-crazy. I've been playing since the original release, then using community mods, then GOG I think, and now Beamdog, never have ever rolled anywhere close to this before. And I imagine I'll probably never see it again, heh!
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    I rolled both a 104 (fighter) and a 108 (paladin)
    laeknir
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Arthas said:

I rolled both a 104 (fighter) and a 108 (paladin)

What a waste. Should use that luck on lottery lol
    Necdilzorlaeknir
  • blackchimesblackchimes Member Posts: 323
    edited April 2017
    I never understood the low probability of high rolls.

Rolling all 6s is as likely as rolling all 1s, or all 3, or any other combination of numbers.

If you ignore minimums, every roll should be equally likely.

I.e. rolling all 13s as a Human Fighter(where the only minimum is 9 Strength and the 75 total) is as likely as rolling all 18s.
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    BillyYank said:

Assuming the engine is using the 4d6-drop-one* method, and not accounting for class minimums or the overall 75 point minimum

Exactly.
    This is why going after 100 is almost a prerogative of rangers and few others classes.
    Rangers have so many high minimums, this is why a lot of threads about stats are made by people that took this class.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @Blackchimes - the difference is that there are many more ways to roll numbers in the middle of the range, than to roll an extreme. There is only one combination of 3 dice that could roll 3 or 18, all 1s or all 6s. If we consider all 3s, the total is 9. That could also come from a 1,2,6, 2,2,5, or a 2,3,4. Note that there are 6 ways of getting a 1,2,6, as we must allow for different dice rolling the different numbers. Hence, the total combination of ways to roll a 9 is significantly higher than just rolling all 3s.
    blackchimeslolien
    Daevelon said:

BillyYank said:

Assuming the engine is using the 4d6-drop-one* method, and not accounting for class minimums or the overall 75 point minimum

Exactly.
    This is why going after 100 is almost a prerogative of rangers and few others classes.
    Rangers have so many high minimums, this is why a lot of threads about stats are made by people that took this class.
    Paladins are the kings of high rolls thanks to the guaranteed 17+ in Charisma and, to a slightly lesser extent, 12 in strength / 13 in wisdom.

Rangers are also good, (and Ranger/Clerics even better with a guaranteed minimum roll of 13/13/14/4/9/3), but for truly spectacular rolls having one crazy-high minimum (like the Paladin's 17 CHA) is a bigger boost to your odds, just given how uncommon rolls of 17 and 18 are relative to rolls of 13 or 14, (and how many 17s and 18s you need to break 100; even with a guaranteed 17 in charisma, you need to *average* 16.6 on every other stat to hit 100.)

I've seen a two or three 100s in my time playing the game, and all of them were paladins. Every 95+ I've gotten has been a paladin or ranger, except for one extraordinarily lucky 96 or 97 I got on a single-class fighter. (Shame he was a dwarf instead of a human because that's the kind of roll that begs to be dual-classed.)
    GreenWarlockDaevelonlaeknir
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Rolled a 99 the other day, my highest roll ever. On the very first roll. On an unkitted bard... argh.
    tbone1GreenWarlock
    Got a 98 on a shadow dancer last night. Might try to play that one seriously. Still not as good as op's 101, though.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    High rolls are nice but I have gotten bored of some just because I tried playing a character that did not fit, just because he got high rolls. Derned ol rangers n paladins can get some of the highest rolls but I'll be dogged if I could handle playing one anymore. B)
    At least with the no-reload style I play, those high rollers are a real let down when/if they get killed. :/
    laeknir
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    wow 101, RNG smiled on you that day!
    laeknir
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Rolled a 99 the other day, my highest roll ever. On the very first roll. On an unkitted bard... argh.

Bards use a lot of stats. I'd love a 99 on a bard.
    I'm in shock, had to share! 102!:
    laeknir
  • Necroscope86Necroscope86 Member Posts: 79
    Wow I didn't even know you could get above 93ish

I'm in shock, had to share! 102!:

Given the class, that's the most impressive roll I've ever seen. Congrats!
    ElysianEchoesGreenWarlock