Skip to content

New member question

Hey I've just picked both BGEE and BG2EE I'm currently playing through the first and I've just finished the tainted ore quest in chapter 2 but... I feel somewhat distant from the story usually going to the area I'm told and killing the bad guy but having no clue why they are doing evil things. Hell I didn't even know Mulahey's was causing these problems I just wanted to open his chest and he attacked me, moments later getting a voiced story that I saved the day.

Then after leaving the mines through a small hole into the Valley of the Tombs I was attacked by group of mercenary tracking me down saying "we know you just solved the iron problem but we're here to kill you" how the hell did they know what I was doing when I didn't even know and why was it so sudden?

Another thing is that every NPC is so rude but If I raise my voice or tell someone to bugger off they draw weapons shouldn't everyone have killed each other by that logic?

TL;DR
I'm obviously doing something wrong because a lot of people love this game, any tips on how to get a more enjoyable experience? Like a walkthrough
taclanemf2112JuliusBorisovlolien

Comments

• mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited April 2017
    Welcome to the forums! At the risk of spoiling things too much, the best walkthrough I have found for BG1 is at dudleyville.

As for the clue to the bigger picture:
    After killing Mulahey, there should have been some notes in the chest? Did you open it after the fight and get all of them?
    Salty_JayJuliusBorisovlolien
  • ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    welcome salty! hope the game gets to be more enjoyable for you. i'm a bit envious. playing for the first time, not knowing what lies just ahead, and what is going on in the bigger picture. it's an awesome story/adventure that you and your hero get to uncover together and eventually find some answers.
    mf2112Salty_JayJuliusBorisovlolien
  • Salty_JaySalty_Jay Member Posts: 3
    Am I meant to play both games with the same character?

@mf2112 I skimmed over the notes and thanks for the walkthrough link
    mf2112JuliusBorisovlolien
    edited May 2017
    Salty_Jay said:

You are very welcome. Your main character will in fact transition from BG1 to BG2 if you finish BG1 and then start BG2 and import your BG1 saved game.
    Post edited by mf2112 on
    Salty_JayJuliusBorisovlolien
    Salty_Jay said:

you don't have to play both games with the same character. you can create a new character when you start bg2.

however, it's advisable to import your character from a bg1 saved game. your character from bg1 will be higher level with abilities that you chose each time you leveled up. and your stats will be higher (charisma, intelligence, etc) from raising them when reading books in the bg1 game.
    JuliusBorisovmf2112Salty_Jaylolien
  • Salty_JaySalty_Jay Member Posts: 3
    So I've become so evil the guards attack me on sight...

In other games that would mean I can't complete any of the quests or do much of anything until I go to jail or pay a fine. Is there something like that here? should I not go below an amount of reputation?

My character is a neutral evil orc female barbarian and I'm playing on insane with no difficulty based damage increased (for anyone interested)
    Skatanlolien
    edited May 2017
    I can't think of any quests like that in BG1. You can increase your charisma temporarily with a Friends spell so the reaction from guards may not be instant attack. You can go donate at temples to increase your reputation if it goes too low.

There is a chart about halfway down the page here if you want more specific numbers.
    Salty_Jaytbone1JuliusBorisovlolien
    you shouldn't let your charisma get below 3 to avoid being kos to the guards. there are quests that you can do to raise your reputation.

i usually try to keep my reputation around 7 to 10 when playing an evil character. the lower your reputation, the higher the prices at the vendors.

you also don't want your reputation getting too high if you are playing an evil aligned party. evil members of the party will quit the party if your reputation gets up to 17. good members of the party will leave if your reputation gets too low (can't remember for sure, think they leave at reputation of 3). neutral party members don't care how high or low your reputation gets.
    Salty_JaylolienJuliusBorisov
    just looked at the chart mf2112 posted. i guess neutral party members don't like a low reputation either. i never play at a low reputation due to prices being too high and it's been years since i've looked at a reputation chart.

sorry about the incorrect information. the chart says it all.
    Salty_JaylolienJuliusBorisov