Skip to content

Nalia and Imoen

What if I want them to have the same mage level in spellhold? Is it possible? If not, is it possible to get close?

Comments

• PaulGreystokePaulGreystoke Member Posts: 63
    It is certainly possible. In my last runthrough, I left for Spellhold with my Monk CHARNAME at just over 1.2M XP. When I retrieved Imoen, CHARNAME had like 1.35M XP (so Level 14 Monk) & Imoen got bumped up to 1.25M XP - which was almost exactly what my other party members were at.

I don't know if there is a better XP point to pick up Imoen, but this was substantially better than some runs I have had where Imoen was lagging by 2 levels or so - which is a whole spell level behind for a Mage.
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    edited May 2017
    And if Immie is a level behind (as she is in my current game,) go to Watcher's Keep and the Machine of Lum the Mad and add XP by 100,000 XP aliquots till she is even. I also had the bright idea (too late, as per usual) to kick out everybody in my party but her and take Yoshimo's heart to the temple and get some XP that way, but, oh, well. Next time, maybe,
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    AFAIK NPC-related stuff freezes when you run off to Spellhold. There might be a few exceptions.

It's certainly possible if you rush Imoen, but that's kind of the problem isn't it? Some people don't want to rush Imoen, and Yoshimo is a much better placeholder for her.
  • profanitywarningprofanitywarning Member Posts: 294
    Allright, so with a mostly multiclass party, I could just try and make sure Nalia is about to reach lvl 11 when we go to Spellhold ? Would that work?
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513

Allright, so with a mostly multiclass party, I could just try and make sure Nalia is about to reach lvl 11 when we go to Spellhold ? Would that work?

I don't think so, what they seem to be saying is dual and multi class characters have all the levels added together, then divided by the number of classes, to get their "level". So a FMT for example would need to have 39 total level to count as a level 13, and for dual classes like Nalia it works out badly because they have 2 classes, but 1 of them is set really low due to the dual classing, and the active class happens to be Mage which takes the most amount of experience to advance at higher levels. This is why you need to be 22 Mage for Nalia, because 22 (mage) + 4 (thief) = 26/2 = 13.

So basically multi and dual class characters are the worst options, but if you use single class characters from the fastest leveling classes that would actually make Imoen have more Experience because her 2nd class is Mage, the most expensive. So Monk, Thief, bard, Cleric single class are the best for skewing the system to work in your favour. If you did want to use a multi class or dual class then neither would work well, but if you went with both classes being at the lower end of the XP tables it will somewhat offset things. So maybe a Cleric/Thief Multi or dual-class, but the dual would need to be done after the 1st class reached the point where the next level requirement is the maximum for the class.

Hope that makes sense lol
    It would make sense if the question was how to make sure Imoen is lvl 13 when I pick her up, but it isn't. I'm fine with lvl 11, as long as there's no gap between Imoen and Nalia, levelwise.
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

Yes, that's pretty much the only way. It's impossible to get a less-than-level-11 Imoen, so if Nalia is level 11 as well, they're going to match.

The problem is that level 11 as a mage is only 375k XP, which you're going to hit crazy-fast. You're going to get close to that much just from doing Chapter 3 stuff alone. Just from checking Sorcerer's place, you get about 180k quest experience just from paying Gaelen Bayle and completing the three quests, not counting any experience from actually killing all the stuff involved. Getting committed to Spellhold can very easily get you 40k more, (though I believe if you just go straight to Perth, murder him, and use his wardstone you successfully avoid any quest XP).

Nalia's going to have another ~100k experience on hand even if you recruit her at first available opportunity, so we're already probably at north of 300k experience just by doing the bare minimum stuff you have to do to get Imoen back. Pretty much any XP from sidequesting at all is going to remain as a persistent XP advantage for Nalia for the remainder of the saga.

This also means gear is going to be a problem. Like I said, you'll have access to all the gear you can steal, (or all the gear you can buy with ill-gotten gains from your stealing), which means super-powerful stuff like Vhailor's Helm and Robe of Vecna and Defender of Easthaven. There's also solid gear you can get without gaining XP: Limited Wish's Full Plate +1, Belm, etc. And doing something basic like grabbing the Tuigan bow in the Copper Coronet isn't going to be a big deal, either, provided you don't pursue the quest too far.

But in the end you're going to be tackling the Underdark significantly underleveled and slightly under-geared, which won't be a problem for a veteran of the series but should give pause to anyone newer to the franchise.

I guess there's one last option to consider: if your goal is solely that Imoen and Nalia are the same level as each other and you don't care if they're the same level as the rest of your party, you could always talk to Nalia to lock her into her low-level version but don't accept her into your party, then go off and do some Chapter 2 questing to get your desired gear and some extra levels for the rest of your party, (including clearing her own keep if you're worried about the timer), then finally recruiting Nalia just in time to transition to Chapter 3 and head to Spellhold. It'll give you two under-leveled mages instead of one, but they'll be *equally* under-leveled.
    SomeSort said:

(...)
    I guess there's one last option to consider: if your goal is solely that Imoen and Nalia are the same level as each other and you don't care if they're the same level as the rest of your party, you could always talk to Nalia to lock her into her low-level version but don't accept her into your party, then go off and do some Chapter 2 questing to get your desired gear and some extra levels for the rest of your party, (including clearing her own keep if you're worried about the timer), then finally recruiting Nalia just in time to transition to Chapter 3 and head to Spellhold. It'll give you two under-leveled mages instead of one, but they'll be *equally* under-leveled.

Perfect! That was exactly what I was thinking of. Nalia and Imoen being somewhat underleveled shouldn't matter all that much because they'll level up much faster than my FMT and Clericrangers. And I can bring lots of spells for scribbling into their books in spellhold.

Or am I mistaken and is my party doomed?
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475

SomeSort said:

(...)

Perfect! That was exactly what I was thinking of. Nalia and Imoen being somewhat underleveled shouldn't matter all that much because they'll level up much faster than my FMT and Clericrangers. And I can bring lots of spells for scribbling into their books in spellhold.

Take heart, good adventurer! The challenge is not insurmountable! Your clever wits and persistence will carry you through! The as-of-yet unheard of genius stratagems you will carefully craft will be emulated for generations to come! Courage, my fellow!

Take heart, good adventurer! The challenge is not insurmountable! Your clever wits and persistence will carry you through! The as-of-yet unheard of genius stratagems you will carefully craft will be emulated for generations to come! Courage, my fellow!

lol yeah that! And my party will be absurdly overpowered.

Nah, your party will be fine, especially assuming you have some prior experience with BG2. (As a general rule, high-level conceptual runs should be avoided until one has acquired at least some base level of metaknowledge. At least enough to know what one is getting him- or herself into.)

The biggest potential stumbling blocks after Spellhold all have the advantage of being 100% optional. There are various liches and high-level mages in the underdark who can all be engaged (or not!) at a player's discretion. There's a demon who is immune to all weapons of +3 enchantment or less and I'd wager most players are completely unaware of it because almost nobody actually tries to fight him.

The Mind Flayer Dungeon can be harrowing for the underprepared, and I doubt you'll be able to get Imoen and Nalia high enough level to get enough level 7 spell slots to just spam Mordenk's Swords, (the all-purpose "get out of Mind Flayer Dungeon free" card). But Beholder dungeon is trivial with the Shield of Balduran, and Kuo-Toa dungeon is just plain trivial.

Even if you really, really, really want to do this optional content to get its rewards, where there's a willingness to cheese, there's always a way. Vithal's sweet loot is easy to obtain by dropping a Protection from Magic scroll on him to eliminate his ability to cast spells. (If you use Vhailor's Helm, you don't even have to use up the scroll. Double-cheese!) Even without Mordenk's Swords, Mind Flayer Dungeon is as simple as turning all of your party invisible, having them physically block the hallway, then have an archer with Chaotic Commands stand behind them and shoot the mind flayers to death.

Long story short: you'll be okay.
    SomeSort said:

There's a demon who is immune to all weapons of +3 enchantment or less and I'd wager most players are completely unaware of it because almost nobody actually tries to fight him.

@ SomeSort
    Is that the Demon Lord the Matron summons? Cause I, like everybody else, never fight him

Yeah I think so too. I've murdered everything evil in the underdark several times before, sometimes even trying to be less cheesy about it, and I think I'll manage, especially if I do only what I really need to do to get out plus that demon, and come back for the rest after finishing the chapter 2 quests. About that demon, I usually do kill it, and hadn't even noticed it can't be hit without +4 or better, so thanks for the heads up! I suppose that does explain why you get that wonderful halberd just before it appears.
    The mindflayers are the thing I fear most in the underdark, which is why I've tried and tried until I knew at least three different strategies to murder the bloody lot of them. Can't recall them now though, I think one of them involved backstabbing and traps. First time they caught me in their lair, I quit because I was trapped and nothing happened.
    Attalus said:

Is that the Demon Lord the Matron summons? Cause I, like everybody else, never fight him

That's the one. In all my runs I think I've tackled him once, just because it seemed like the sort of thing I should try sometime.

The mindflayers are the thing I fear most in the underdark, which is why I've tried and tried until I knew at least three different strategies to murder the bloody lot of them. Can't recall them now though, I think one of them involved backstabbing and traps. First time they caught me in their lair, I quit because I was trapped and nothing happened.

If all else fails, even a level 9 party can clear the entire lair in one go with two castings of Invisibility, one casting of Chaotic Commands, and a couple stacks of arrows. (Actually, at level 9, you might need to reapply Chaotic Commands a time or two.)
    I think I recall pretty acceptable results using the green shield and the talking sword, too, even though neither protects against the blast thing they do. Anyway, if nothing works, I can always dig up a helmet I made that protects against all psionic effects, beholder rays and confusion, stun, fear, panic and gives permanent improved alacrity. I plan for a very cheaty run.
    If you do Neera's Quest and wipe out the RWoT HQ in Waukeen's Promenade, you can find a Scroll of Mordenkainnen's Sword. Give that to Nalia and your problems with the Mind Flayers are over. With the Shield of Balduran on my best fighter, I wipe out the Mind Flayer's Lair and the Beholder's Lair before I enter Ust'Natha. Strangely enough, that leaves the Kuo-Toa Lair the hardest. (Level 14-15 party)
    Attalus said:

If you do Neera's Quest and wipe out the RWoT HQ in Waukeen's Promenade, you can find a Scroll of Mordenkainnen's Sword. Give that to Nalia and your problems with the Mind Flayers are over. With the Shield of Balduran on my best fighter, I wipe out the Mind Flayer's Lair and the Beholder's Lair before I enter Ust'Natha. Strangely enough, that leaves the Kuo-Toa Lair the hardest. (Level 14-15 party)

There's always been a scroll of Mordenk's Sword in the Underdark, anyway, it's just that many players might not think to find it.

When you first reach the underdark you come across a gnomish merchant named Carlig who sells some decent stuff. (The most interesting thing are the Freedom Scrolls, which not only start another quest in the area, but which are by far the cheapest level 9 spells in the game, so if you're buying scrolls to scribe/erase for XP, this is a very cost-efficient point.)

What's not obvious is you can return to him after you get your drow disguises and he'll mistake you for real drow, be super-duper obsequious, and offer a second completely different set of wares with all of his best stuff. Included in his new stock is the sought-after Mordenk's Sword scroll, as well as a super-rare Improved Mantle.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    edited May 2017
    i was going to say. Was that the summoned Demon or the one from the pit near the deep gnomes. The first I fight from time to time just to get everything or I'm in a mood to beat my face on the keyboard a few times before I manage it. The other I just remember being annoying. but I don't remember why.

I have however only killed the silver dragon maybe twice total.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    SomeSort said:

There's always been a scroll of Mordenk's Sword in the Underdark, anyway, it's just that many players might not think to find it.

When you first reach the underdark you come across a gnomish merchant named Carlig who sells some decent stuff. (The most interesting thing are the Freedom Scrolls, which not only start another quest in the area, but which are by far the cheapest level 9 spells in the game, so if you're buying scrolls to scribe/erase for XP, this is a very cost-efficient point.)

What's not obvious is you can return to him after you get your drow disguises and he'll mistake you for real drow, be super-duper obsequious, and offer a second completely different set of wares with all of his best stuff. Included in his new stock is the sought-after Mordenk's Sword scroll, as well as a super-rare Improved Mantle.

"Many players" included me till now. Thanks for posting this!

Attalus said:

SomeSort said:

"Many players" included me till now. Thanks for posting this!

For sure. Eluded me for ages until someone told me about it, too. Now if only there was a fixed spawn point for a Spell Trigger scroll...

This thread highlights yet another reason why Nalia's class is ridiculous. And why you should change it.

I think lore-wise Nalia is one of those NPCs who makes a lot of sense a lot of different ways. With her back-story and her interactions, I can see her totally justifiably as a Thief>Mage, vanilla Bard, Fighter>Thief, Fighter>Mage, or even a Sorcerer if I squint hard enough. Hell, if someone really wanted to say that her concern for the less fortunate means she'd make a great Priest of Ilmater, I'd even buy that, though that'd be a weird thing for her to never bring up in dialogue.

(Also, she'd need +1 strength for it to technically be "legal" for her to dual-class out of fighter and into thief or mage, but that's not a huge issue-- going from 14 to 15 strength adds literally no bonus and wouldn't change her character balance in the slightest.) And changing her class can add a lot of replayability, which is good because I think she's actually an interesting character in SoA. (Don't get me started on ToB.)

With that said, I wouldn't say her current class is "ridiculous". Because of Imoen's XP problems, for most Nalia is going to be the second-most-powerful arcane caster in the game, which in turn means the second-most-powerful NPC in the game. With Ring of Danger Sense she can max out her find traps, and between Ring of Lockpicks and Knock she can handle all of the lock duties, making her all the thief you'd ever need as well. (Plus the thief gear selection is pretty useful, especially early on for Tuigan.) Mechanically, it's a really powerful combo.

Story-wise it fits, too. She's a mage who snuck out a lot as a kid and picked up a little bit of thief proficiency points in the process.

I like the option of changing her. I like her how she is. The ridiculous thing here is how BG2 determines what level NPC it gives you by averaging your party's levels instead of by averaging your party's XP totals. (The second ridiculous thing it does is counting inactive dual-class levels in that average.)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

SomeSort said:

I like the option of changing her. I like her how she is. The ridiculous thing here is how BG2 determines what level NPC it gives you by averaging your party's levels instead of by averaging your party's XP totals. (The second ridiculous thing it does is counting inactive dual-class levels in that average.)

All fair enough. What I find "ridiculous" is really just that, with all the class/kit possibilities in BG2, and with fewer NPCs than there were in BG1, Bioware made 2 of the NPCs have the exact same class. Just seemed really unimaginative.
    That has more to do with Nalia being intended to replace Imoen permanently. Right up into the end game of development, Imoen was planned to permanently die in Spellhold.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417

SomeSort said:

All fair enough. What I find "ridiculous" is really just that, with all the class/kit possibilities in BG2, and with fewer NPCs than there were in BG1, Bioware made 2 of the NPCs have the exact same class. Just seemed really unimaginative.
    Because creating BGII isn't imaginative enough.

SomeSort said:

Two and a half if you broaden the class definition slightly and count Jan. "Arcane spellcasters who can also fulfill your thieving needs because we didn't create a single end-game-viable thief NPC who wasn't also an arcane caster."

I get that they wanted to make extra extra extra sure you wound up taking a mage somewhere, which is an understandable design decision, but my kingdom for a F/T. Shame we can't take Monty's body to a priest and resurrect him.
    It may interest some that , In ToB, you can use the experience fountain in Saradush to get Immie to draw even with Nalia. I am about to put paid to Yaga-Shura and Immie is still in the lead, 3,766,334 XP to 3,761,016 for Nalia. I'll keep you posted.