Skip to content

Forgotten Realm's Bad Guys

The_ZealotThe_Zealot Member Posts: 43
edited September 2012 in Off-Topic
I have long thought that BG and BG II had some of the coolest enemies of any game. So who are your favorite enemies from these games.

As a start I have to say that the Illithids are by far my favorite.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    Beholders for me.
    Jon Irenicus goes without saying the coolest ever.
  • The_ZealotThe_Zealot Member Posts: 43
    We should also add bad guys we would like to see in the games. Personally i want a reason to fight with an Aboleth, though i doubt seriously it would end well.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Illithids are definitely frightening to hear, look at and to fight if you don't specifically counter them they surely aren't like the other monsters in the game. The first time I fought them I remember thinking what the heck just happened I barely took any damage and now I'm dead.

• NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    The trolls and ettercaps. Both are very sadistic creatures to me!
  • SaberstormSaberstorm Member Posts: 60
    somehow i found the towering armored freak that was sarevok the coolest.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Balthazar and Irenicus are my favorites

but I love too Taurgosz Khosann, leader of the Blacktalons
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Taurgosz is such a badass, as soon as he gets in melee range it's pretty much over. Kinda like Sarevok. Sarevok is an excellent villain for me. In the background for most of the game, hiding behind a mask of kindness to the people, super dangerous when he needs to be.

Of general D&D, I'm always partial to Owlbears. Ridiculous and freakin' dangerous at the same time. They just don't give a hoot. Other than that, I'm a religious person in D&D so evil clerics and evil plans from evil gods always work well for me too.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    Kresselack, the barbarian King.
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    Jon Irenicus is most likely my favorite from the entire series, although I do like Sarevok and Balthazar as well.

There are too many great ones to choose from, the Illithid might be the most terrifying enemies as if they catch you off guard there's not much you can do about it, and then there's Demogorgon, which is an awesome fight. Firkraag has his moments, and I guess the entire city of Ust Natha can be considered a group of enemies if you decide to take them all on (which I sometimes do).

Then there are just countless awesome random groups of mercenaries, assassins, bandits, and traveling assholes with deathwishes that have awesome, hilarious dialogue in BG1.
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    Both Sarevok and Irenicus are great. Irenicus has deeper personality and Sarevok was more an mysterious man, both are great.
  • DougPiranhaDougPiranha Member Posts: 50
    I like weird mixed groups, like Twisted Rune or Watcher's Keep final seal guardians.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Both Sarevok and Irenicus are great. Irenicus has deeper personality and Sarevok was more an mysterious man, both are great.
    Great, memorable villains those two.

• WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    Kresselack, the barbarian King.
    He's in Icewind Dale tho, right? I recall a tomb of Kresselack.

My fave BG1 monsters are the Tasloi, small green guys with spears that make cute little elephant noises as they charge you from the bushes :P the Xvarts are also iconic... (and comical)

For BG2 I like the Umberhulks, they're terrifying, especially if they catch you unaware and you fail your save vs. confusion....

As for the Villains, there are so many to choose from... but I gotta give this one to Gretek and the Maulers of the Undermountain (the group that fights you at the Helm & Cloak inn after speaking to Gorpel and the merry fools)

I never really liked Sarevok much until BG2 ToB when you get to know him better, he feels a tad flat... cool, surely, imposing - definitely, but Irenicus has much more depth (even if he is a big ol' whiner)

Oh, and Kangaxx and Firekraag are always fun :)
  • SaberstormSaberstorm Member Posts: 60
    i am so curious to find out what the villan will be in BG3 if it's ever made...
    sure hope not a unoriginel dragon or something...
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @Zafiro Now that is a good voice actor...
  • MathuzzzMathuzzz Member Posts: 203
    @Zafiro Now that is a good voice actor...
    From what I remember he is the only one voice actor in Icewind Dale (except the narrator). Icewind had very few characters voiced, all of them by the same voice. But great voice anyway :)
  • Aris4lifeAris4life Member Posts: 103
    edited November 2012
    That is Tony Jay...he also spoke the Transcendent in Planescape:Torment, the elder god in Legacy of Kain, Zephon in Soul Reaver and he was the narrator in the Bard's Tale.

And i think that might be no problem to put Kresselack in here, since we are talking about the bad guys of the "Forgotten Realms" (the icewind dale is a part of the forgotten realms for those who might not know it.)

If you go any further even Planescape:Torment plays atleast in the same universe (because Sigil the city of gates - where it takes place - is the connection between all the planes of existance) :D here is an overview of everything: http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121126153730/faerun/de/images/3/37/Kosmologie.jpg

For the BG-Games my favourite villains are for sure Irenicus, Sarevoc and Demogorgon (because he is the prince of all the demons down in the abyss).

• SornSorn Member Posts: 41
    My favorite would have to be (Lord Jierdan) Firkraag, purely for his Machiavellian manipulation of the situation.
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I like the sneaky rogue types... Assassins, evil rogues, and blackguards.
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I really like the drow, both as villains and as NPCs. Sendai is my favorite villain in the BG series. I think it would be nice if there were an option for evil characters to join the villains and work for the other side, or something to that effect. I liked Sendai, but wanted to be able to either join her or have her join me.

As far as villains that I like to actually fight/kill, my favorites are probably Abazigal and Draconis, who are usually the most challenging battles in the series for me and they also make interesting and convincing villains.

I also like Balthazar as a villain because the whole religious extremist angle is something that seems like a convincing villain, so in that sense I like him as a villain. I didn't like the combat against him as much because in my opinion its too easy for someone of his supposed stature. I mean, in battle he just didn't really seem tough enough. The game hyped him up by calling him the toughest of The Five or something, but compared to Abazigal and Sendai, Balthazar is really weak.
  • ThomasMinkThomasMink Member Posts: 25
    Jon Irenicus forever left an impression on me as far as D&D goes. David Warner did a fantastic job voicing him. Never finished BG1, so I can't really comment on Sarevok as a villain.

For generic 'enemy' types.. I've always been fascinated with liches (and demiliches). So, to an extent, Kangaxx is also on that list.. along with almost every other lich. Always wanted to created an evil mage character who was so caught up with knowledge and power, that he eventually tries to become a lich late in his adventuring career (if he survives that long anyway).. but never followed through with it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Manshoon + Larloch
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Too much villainy badness to choose just one. Sarevok for the best Darth Vader style baddie. Irenicus for the best Palpatine style baddie.

The monster that terrifies me most is spiders, of any kind, anywhere in the game. Especially in an SCS game where they cast Web spells.

Then there are the illithids. The ultimate villanous race, like the Borg from Star Trek. As in horror-movie, brrrrr, villains. Bizzare, nightmarish architecture, skulking about in secret, capturing humans for slaves and for food, with a hopelessly more advanced technology. Even worse than the Borg.

And the Elder Orbs. Multiple eye ray attacks per round, and Horrid Wilting and Imprison spells at their command, plus their hideous, alien appearance, floating in the air as though gravity doesn't exist for them.

Brrrrr. This topic would have been fun for Halloween.
  • xxxsmb1987xxxxxxsmb1987xxx Member Posts: 280
    MInd flayers my god I hate them so many hours lost because of them ugh =(
  • John_RainbowJohn_Rainbow Member Posts: 15
    I seem to remember Kangaxx was pretty cool.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Aris4life said:

That is Tony Jay...he also spoke the Transcendent in Planescape:Torment, the elder god in Legacy of Kain, Zephon in Soul Reaver and he was the narrator in the Bard's Tale.

And Xantam the Beholder from Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance.

I actually think Lord Cor was a pretty despicable villain., though Irenicus is my favourite. It's not only what you know he's done, but what is intimated at that's quite frightening really.

• Google_CalasadeGoogle_Calasade Member Posts: 80
    edited December 2012
    She's not a guy, but she is perhaps my favorite all-time evil character.

She's from BG 2.

She lives at the graveyard.

She is sexy in a rather disgusting and terrifying sort of way.

Anyone know who I'm talking about?

That's right.

BODHI

• ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    I like gibberlings... don't ask me why. They just really got that cannibalistic midget thing going on y'know? Plus they squee.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    I despise Bodhi. She's a villain that makes me furious rather than actually like her. I guess thats what a villain is supposed to do though. She's still a douche.

Balthazar is probably my favorite concept wise, I actually wish he was the main villain instead of whats-her-face who was so generic and lame I don't even remember her name.

Also, Nimbul. "I am death come for thee..."