Skip to content

Garrick experience bug?

I've just started a fresh run through BB:EE and recruited Garrick early on.

I didn't notice how many experience points he had when I recruited him but when I turned in a quest (returning the letter found on the road south of Beregost) he leveled up. A couple of strange things then happened - firstly he gained a couple of 1st level spells which is something I've never seen happen before. Then after a brief wander around town in which no experience was earned, I checked everyone's experience totals and found that Garrick somehow had over 2000 xp.

Seeing as he had only just leveled up when the party of 5 had received 300xp for completing the quest, I don't see how Garrick can possibly have more than about 1310 xp at this point.

Is this a bug or can anyone offer any explanation of what is going on here?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    The 2.X patch has changed how XP of joinable companions is determined. Now it's like a ToB system, where you have an NPC joining you at lvl 1 with XP conforming XP of the main character.

Bards get lvl1 spells at the second level. And bards reach lvl2 at 1250 XP. So what happened when Garrick gained a couple of 1st level spells is you simply levelling up Garrick after taking him into your party.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2017
    There is a bug at the moment regarding this that only affects parties with charnames that pick up an NPC when they had greater than 1000 but less than 2000 xp. Once they get over 2000 xp it will trigger a level up for that NPC.

Its a known issue.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    So, recruit Garrick between those xp thresholds. Got it!
  • PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 262
    Went back to the autosave before Garrick levelled up. It appears that as soon as my character went over 2000xp, Garrick was instantly boosted to 2000xp. Xzar, Monty and Kivan were unaffected by the bug though.

Is there a workaround to prevent this? It seems somewhat cheesy to have Garrick gain so much experience due to a bug.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    clearly your two work arounds are to either keeper his xp total down... Or avoid picking him up in that 1kxp point range.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2017

So, recruit Garrick between those xp thresholds. Got it!

Sorry to clarify the bug involves NPC's picked up when CHARNAME's XP is within the 1000-2000 xp range. Its a very narrow window that you can get it, but Garrick is rather obvious about it because he also gains spells.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    He's also a character often picked up in that thresh-hold. Many of the rest are in positions to be picked up before or after if your taking your time at all.