Skip to content

BG1EE: Full crash when starting a new game [Mac OSX]

KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
edited May 2017 in Troubleshooting
I felt the time had come for yet another BG1 run, downloaded and installed the newest version (I have it purchased directly from beamdog). Start up the game, everything looking as it should, go through character creation and finally get to click "venture forth": the game immediately crashes to the desktop. Try it again two more times, same thing happens. Re-download and re-install the game and try it again: still the same. Any ideas what this is about?

I'm running Mac OSX El Capitan (10.11.6) on a mid 2011 iMac.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    In your documents location, find the baldur's gate - enhanced edition. Rename or delete it and try launching the game again.
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    OK, I tried that, and as I clicked "venture forth" this time I thought for a moment it was working, as the game was "holding" for about five seconds instead of immediately crashing. But then it crashed again.

I noticed that the "alias" file I deleted from my documents (and the new one that was created upon launching the game again) weren't actually pointing to anything. Clicking it only produced an error message. So I figured maybe it needed to be a working alias for the Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition applications folder. Created one myself and launched again, but still only got the same crash...
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,871
    Hi
    It shouldn't be an alias, so try creating a folder instead. Sorry - should have said that earlier.

Thanks
  • KnettgummiKnettgummi Member Posts: 152
    Yes! Worked like a charm. Thanks!