Skip to content

Insane regeneration of Planetars (Bug?)

If my memory serves me right, Planetars didn't have regeneration. With last patch BG2:EE v2.3.67.3, Planetars (and fallen version) have a regeneration maybe 10 HP/second, 60 HP per round!

Is this intended? If It was a bug, Could It be patched with a file in override folder or something? Thanks.

Comments

• QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Code says 4 HP/sec.

All you'd need to do is edit the PLANGOOD/PLANEVIL .cre files, delete the regen opcode from them, and put in override.

I just checked my BG2EE 1.3 folder and it's there as well.
    Also in my BG2:ToB, so it's in vanilla. And those files date to 2001.

Actually, interestingly, BG2 vanilla had 4 HP/sec for PLANEVIL but only 1 HP/sec for PLANGOOD.

So... -_0_-
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited May 2017
    Thanks @Quickblade

My Planevil.cre is this:

But I swear It regenerates in my game 4Hp per 0.5 seconds, so 8Hp/sec. Could you try in your game?

On the other hand, in BG2 vanilla, I have this Planevil.cre:

The "duration" = 0, and the planetar doesn't regenerate...

• kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Regen 4/s + Haste(from their weapon) = 8 / s.

The regeneration effect requires a non-zero duration, even when "permanent" or "equipped", which is why its not working there.
  • DarKelPDarKelP Member Posts: 183
    edited May 2017
    kjeron said:

Regen 4/s + Haste(from their weapon) = 8 / s.

The regeneration effect requires a non-zero duration, even when "permanent" or "equipped", which is why its not working there.

That's it. Now everything fits.

Then in BG2 vanilla there wasn't regeneration because of zero duration parameter. Maybe it was intended, they thought it would be too powerful.

The question is if Beamdog changed it deliberately. I think 48HP/round is a madness, as if the planetar wasn't good before, now it's OP. Summon of cheese.

I am going to nerf planetar in my game, no regeneration (or max 1-2hp/s), so I can use it without feeling dirty. It has a lot of healing spells anyway.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    edited May 2017
    FWIW, PlayItHardcore lists Planetar regen as 2HP/s, increased to 4HP/s thanks to their Haste. I don't know where they took their information from though.
  • BorekBorek Member Posts: 513
    To be honest in many of the tough encounters on Max (not LoB) difficulty a single Planetar will get chunked fairly easily. Most of the Dragons will rip them to shreds in 2 rounds or less, unless they get lucky with a vorpal hit. Their real advantage is only when an encounter has plenty of trashy mobs that do not have +3 or better weapons and therefore do no damage.

They would be a lot better if the AI was improved though, it's extremely difficult to get them to cast their large array of spells in a meaningful way, most of the time they just wade into melee and try to cast heal and get interrupted when nearly dead lol.
  • AttalusAttalus Member Posts: 156
    *makes sure to cast "Summon Planetar more often*