Skip to content

Your Favourite Moments in PS:T [SPOILERS]

I've just got back from the planes (translation: finished my first EE playthrough) and I want to know what everybody's favourite moments from the game are (and why.) Torment is filled with so many lovely little details that a thread like this will make people who've played the game smile, I think.

But if you haven't finished playing yet, I would turn back, as there will be many SPOILERS.

I will start with two of my favourite moments. The first:
Meeting the Paranoid Incarnation with the ability to speak Uyyo, a language which he is sure is only known by him...meaning you must be him. Being TNO has made this incarnation mad, unable to trust anyone and regarding all other incarnations as thieves. As he is at last confronted with a being he can trust (himself, or so he thinks) you can comfort him, sympathising with the events that led to his madness. Not only do I find this moving, it is a great reward for those players that took the trouble to solve the Dodecahedron subquest earlier in the game by learning Uyyo.

The second moment
concerns a painting you can find in the Clerk's Ward art gallery. It's called something like "Outland Shadows." When you ask Yvana about it she gives you some information, and the implication I got from this was that it was painted by a previous incarnation of the Nameless One, of the shadows that were coming to kill him somewhere in the Outlands. I liked this because it was only implied, so it makes the player imagine the world beyond was is known for sure in the game. I liked to imagine one previous incarnation responding to TNO's torment by painting his doom, and this artwork being his last testament.
JuliusBorisovAbelMontresor_SPAndreaColomboTeflonMoradin

Comments

• Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    I think my favorite moments are

The entire Ravel conversation.

and

Using the bronze sphere in the Fortress of Regrets, learning your name and why you decided to become immortal.
    dustbubsyJuliusBorisovMoradin
  • QueegonQueegon Member Posts: 363
    Any Annah voiceovers accompanied with related soundtrack. <3

Also when I hear the "My blade has shifted." Then I know I'm in for a treat, just like the first time.

From the story standpoint, I dunno, tisectsxao join I can?
    dustbubsyJuliusBorisovCalmar
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I'm not done yet (I've previously made it a little past Curst and got stuck...this time is going much better. Currently I'm still in Sigil) but I think the thing that really hit me the hardest is:
    The memory sparked by talking to Ignus in which Ignus is just a scared kid and TNO is a real jerk. Something about the writing of that memory was so real and gut wrenching. I had to stop playing to reflect for a bit after reading through that.

dustbubsyMontresor_SPJuliusBorisovPibaro
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249

I think my favorite moments are

The entire Ravel conversation.

I didn't really realise it until my last playthrough, but Ravel has some sympathetic characteristics. I think you only get a true glimpse of that if you play as a mage.
    procco said:

I'm not done yet (I've previously made it a little past Curst and got stuck...this time is going much better. Currently I'm still in Sigil) but I think the thing that really hit me the hardest is:

The memory sparked by talking to Ignus in which Ignus is just a scared kid and TNO is a real jerk. Something about the writing of that memory was so real and gut wrenching. I had to stop playing to reflect for a bit after reading through that.

Totally agree. And if you accept responsibility for your previous selves' deeds, it's probably the lawful choice to take him along with you to keep him from hurting others, and getting hurt himself. But I like that the game leaves it open-ended - it's quite possible Ignus would have turned out the way he is anyway, regardless of TNO's role in shaping him.

JuliusBorisovproccoMontresor_SP
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Here's another one that's really great:
    When interacting with the forge in the Godsmen's Foundry, the game itself becomes super chipper, and goes out of its way to congratulate you on solving what amounts to a really easy puzzle. It's the only place (as far as I've noticed) that the game directly addresses the player (it even asks, after giving the setup, "What do you do?"). The thing I find so magnificent about it is the writers went to unprecedented lengths to create a rich immersive world then throw in little little things like this that, in any other setting, would be completely forgettable, but really shine in the context of this game.
    dustbubsyJuliusBorisovMontresor_SP
  • karl_maulderkarl_maulder Member Posts: 133
    edited May 2017
    TNO: What's that, cube hero? 'Morte's a stupid skull?' Why, yes he is, isn't he, cube hero?

Morte: Hey! It didn't say that!

TNO: Yes, it did! It said it just now!

Morte: Wh --?! Gimme that thing!

TNO: No, it's mine. He only wants to hang out with me anyway. Don't you, cube hero? Yes, you do!

Morte: I. Just. Want. To. Hold. It. For. A. Second.

TNO: But you don't have any hands.

Morte: I'll hold it in my TEETH.

TNO: No, I think i'll just put it away for now.

Morte: I'm gonna smash that modron cube to bits.

TNO: Did you hear anything, cube hero? Neither did i.
    Montresor_SPdustbubsyJuliusBorisov
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
    fkirenicusJuliusBorisovMoradinMontresor_SP
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited May 2017
    I think my favorite moment is the first time you meet Annah. Her whole personality just screams "Hiver" (someone who came from the Hive, the zone you enter after leaving the Mortuary).
    JuliusBorisovMoradinMontresor_SP
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    edited November 2018
    Deleted.
    Post edited by Yulaw9460 on
  • dustbubsydustbubsy Member Posts: 249
    Thinking I will expand this to "Favourite NPC" since they're sort of the same thing as moments.

I really like Candrian in the Smoldering Corpse Bar. Something about his dialogue, weighty as it is, makes me feel like I'm there in the pub picking this guy's brain, hearing about his travels. Even though TNO can't visit all these places, it expands the world's horizons for me to listen to a guy who has been to all the outer planes. I wish he had twice as much dialogue, actually. Feed me, Candrian! Feed me your lore!
    JuliusBorisovMontresor_SPCalmar
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    I like when TNO remember how he proofed to his opponent he doesn't exist and when TNO plays GO with Dulonia.
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovdustbubsy
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    My favorite moment was when Grace vows to rescue TNO from the Blood War, a supposedly impossible task that reinforced the power of belief (in this case hers). A close second was the conversation you can have with Mebbeth if you return to Ragpicker's Square after defeating Ravel.
    Montresor_SPJuliusBorisovdustbubsy