Skip to content

Captain or Corporal, which rank is higher?

Captain Corwin vs Corporal Duncan

Comments

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The one with the biggest tricorne hat is always the one in charge.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Google mate. Learn to use it.
  • NameLessOne47NameLessOne47 Member Posts: 23

Captain. A captain is a commissioned officer in military ranks, one rank above lieutenant. A corporal is a non-commissioned officer (i.e., an enlisted soldier who has been promoted from private) below the rank of sergeant.

From my understanding it should be so, but later in the game it appears Duncan this guy is more superior than Corwin, especially in the final chapter.

Google mate. Learn to use it.

US army ranking may not work very well in Faerun.
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    I think that may be because Charname is not a member of the Flaming Fist, so as a mercenary, you'd defer to the ranking officer. Since Corwin is a member of your party, she defers to you, so it would technically be a demotion.
    Wayniac said:

@NameLessOne47

I was in the military and can answer this.

There are different types of authority within ranks. The rank is universally symbolic of who is in charge if a situation occurs where shit has hit the fan, several units have been merged into one, and someone needs to take charge. It is easy, in high stress environments, to find the highest ranking member.

This also, for the most part, applies in day to day duties. A Captain (O-3), for example, would likely still take orders from a Colonel (O-6), even if that Colonel was in another unit.

There does exist, however, a form of authority called delegated authority. One situation where this could happen is if you were a Captain (O-3) and were the subject matter expert of a particular area. Let's imagine it is militaristic strategic planning. If you were the expert and this is why the military needs you, authority could be delegated to you by a higher ranking official, giving you authority to issues orders with things specifically pertaining to your field of expertise. You could not tell a Colonel to go get you doughnuts and coffee, but you could issue orders that directly pertain to militaristic strategic planning, for example.

This happens a lot in the Air Force when you have maintenance crews who work on different flights lines and with different planes. A Captain who comes from an acquisitions career field would have less authority on a flight line than an appointed NCO whose career field is specific to performing maintenance where they are located as long as they are specifically dealing with the planes that the NCO is a subject matter expert on.

This also occurs with OSI (Office of Special Investigations). A Captain who works for OSI, for example, would not necessarily have to take orders from even a General who doesn't, if it pertains to an investigation. This gives all OSI military personnel the freedom to investigate all matters that are deemed necessary without having an investigation compromised because a higher ranking officer outside of their chain of command orders them to stop.

Keep in mind that respect is still given at all times and salutes are still rendered the same way.

So in the case of BG, it could be totally possible that the Corporal has delegated authority over the current mission, meaning Corwin would follow Duncan's orders as long as they pertained directly to the mission at hand. This does not mean a demotion has occurred. It simply means that a higher rank does not necessarily mean a higher level of knowledge in all areas.

I hope that answers your question!

Very detailed content and fantastic! Thank you so much!
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Corwin is in charge of the expedition force, while Bence is her XO.
    As for the last chapter, pursuing the romantic plot with Corwin makes her compromised, so I guess this makes Bence the next best authority figure from the available pool of developed in-game characters.
    @Ardanis
    Ya!
    Spoiler warning:
    If Charname cannot convince Belt and has relationship with Corwin, plus with the option to surrender near the waterfall, The bastard Duncan has ordered Flaming Fist to attack Charname and have poor Corwin killed.