Skip to content

Need Help to get Started

I completed these games in the early 2000s and everything seemed straightforward. I just bought Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to cast a spell during the tutorial. Can anyone help out? Thanks.

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited May 2017
    Hi @RogueBiscuit, Although I am only a newbie to the forums myself (in terms of posts), welcome... I am making some assumptions here in that you are playing a character that can cast and you want to cast arcane spells (mage). If you are playing a char that is using divine spells (priest etc) then use the scroll instead of the open book on the left hand panel.

You would have selected a spell on char creation.

To check to see if it is memorised, open the spell book (open book icon on the left panel of the game). If known but not memorised, you need to have a rest first.

To cast the spell, either press F7, or select the 7th icon (looks like stars and cresent moon) on the bottom panel. This will bring a list of spells that are memorised. Select the spell to use. Depending on spell type, I will use the Magic Missile as an example, this will change the cursor to look like the stars and moon. Place the icon on the target and use the left mouse button (by default, moving the cursor will also highlight the target). Done and done.

From your previous playing, you likely will know that as you travel, you will pick up arcane spell scrolls etc and need to write them to your book to memorise. Divine spells - you get to select which ones to remember as you want; just select them prior to resting.

Hope this helps getting the magic going...
    Gus
    Post edited by Gusinda on
    JuliusBorisov
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Welcome @RogueBiscuit , Gus has described it correctly above, here are some pictures if it helps. With your spellcasting character selected, click on the Cast button with the stars and moon icons, which will bring up a list of your currently available spells.

Sleep on the right is an area of effect sleep so you can target a spot on the ground, like in the midst of a group of enemies to have a chance to affect them all.

Magic Missile on the left, is a single target spell so you would click the it, then the cursor will change and you can click on the intended target.

GusindaJuliusBorisovlolien
  • RogueBiscuitRogueBiscuit Member Posts: 5
    That Worked! Thank you. I was not getting to the crescent moon to find the spell.
    GusindaJuliusBorisovmf2112lolien