Skip to content

Roleplaying Characters

What's the most fun you've had playing your character while metagaming as little as possible?

Also what is the most dangerous situation you have put yourself in knowing that you are unprepared, underleveled and/or overwhelmed but running in weapons blazing anyway because that's what your character would do?

I'm doing a true no-metagaming run (minus traps, because from a roleplaying perspective I assume I'm always looking for traps) for the first time, and so far Windspear Hills at Level 8/9 has been the hardest for me, but I have just started and I know things will get more difficult.

It's going to be so fun :)

Comments

• SouplesseSouplesse Member Posts: 131
    In bgee, in no reload runs or few reloads runs ( when you raise your dead) because if you can reload, there no thrill to fight for your life.
    At level 1 or 2, when you change of map, you can be surrounded by 10 "bandits" with a bow... every time I think "OH-oh, let's do this" but if the bandits aim charname, it's the end instantly.. no time for drinking a potion of invisibility :) it's more a massacre rather than a real fight...
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Yeah that does sound difficult.

I just wrapped up Windspear Hills while handicapped with ridiculous amounts of level drain and a dead Valygar because my character is very noble and believes time is of the essence to save Garren's daughter.

I'm now in Chapter 3 dealing with The Shadow Thieves Quests and helping Minsc find Boo.

My party
    1. Me (Archer named Marek)
    2. Jaheria
    3. Minsc
    4. Jan
    5. Xan
    6. Valygar.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Souplesse said:

In bgee, in no reload runs or few reloads runs ( when you raise your dead) because if you can reload, there no thrill to fight for your life.
    At level 1 or 2, when you change of map, you can be surrounded by 10 "bandits" with a bow... every time I think "OH-oh, let's do this" but if the bandits aim charname, it's the end instantly.. no time for drinking a potion of invisibility :) it's more a massacre rather than a real fight...

Ah yes, the dreaded early lvl firing squad. ALWAYS nice to have that hit by chance just trying to get to the FAI. Caught me a time or two.

Obviously no reload, as mentioned, no automatic anything, hp or spell learnin, chunking enabled of course.
    Just seems to add to the enjoyment, esp on good HP rolls, and hurts more when a good character, runnin for a while, gets killed.

I often will just walk unprepared, (or just normal spell precautions in general) right up into the faces of a known waiting group, then gear up n fight or run and get back to 'em later. Scouting can serve as a buffer against knowledge, somewhat, but there seems to be times one would not scout.

In BG, rying to take on the ducal palace fight, unprepared and unbuffed, just walkin straight in, is still probably one the most nerve wrackin things I've done, cause you know what it means to lose that one. Gets the blood flowing though, esp. with only one NPC helper, hehheh.

In BG2, probably taking on Kangaxx or the slave lords, right outa the gate.
    I just got to the Bridge District (trying to finish Quest #2 for Aran) yesterday and triggered everything at once.
    Step 1: Trigger an encounter with Muggers
    Step 2: Trigger Vampire at same time
    Step 3: Whilst strategically retreating, trigger encounter with Neera
    Step 4: Laugh as Muggers and Vampire wait patiently for me to finish watching Neera
    Step 5: Die repeatedly
    Basically I'll proceed forward if party member gets chunked but if I die, I reload.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Well I once did Durlags tower before I had done cloakwood and I took with me Khalid and jaheira, Neera and I can't remember the others. Either way I think Khalid and Jaheira are pretty subpar compared with other characters in the game and while wild magic is powerful it's also very unreliable. I can't remember the exact level I was at or the other party members, but I was pretty underlevelled. I probably had Kagain as well, since I love that constitution score.

Not that hardcore, unlike some of you ''crazy'' folks though^^
    So far nobody has been chunked without me dying also, so I've been able to reload. I fear for the day that I lose someone like Minsc though.
    So Valygar got wiped out by the Vampires in Spellhold and I went back and picked up Jan.

RIP Valygar
    My luck has ran out on a few occasions lately.

I lost Xan whilst going into the Unseeing Eye.
    Keldorn joined us first as a temporarily replacement for Jan during the Unseeing Eye Quest then as a permenant member after Xan died.

Now Keldorn has been killed by Firkragg and I don't even have Carsomyr as a consolation prize because I ended up freezing Firkragg to death.

Roleplaying a character instead of doing what I know I should do is fun, but merciless.

My current party

1. Marek-Archer
    2. Minsc
    3. Jaheria
    4. Jan
    5. Imoen

Dead Party Members
    1. Valygar-Killed by either Bodhi or Minotaurs in Chapter 4, I can't remember which
    2. Xan-Killed by Greater Mummy during Unseeing Eye Quest in Chapter 6.
    3. Keldorn-Sacrificed himself Valiantly to defeat Firkragg in Chapter 6.

Otherwise Void Party Members
    1. Yoshimo- I didn't recruit him, but it's too late now.
    2. Anomen-He rebuked me when I kicked him out in favor of Jan instead of going to see his father.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174

What's the most fun you've had playing your character while metagaming as little as possible?

Also what is the most dangerous situation you have put yourself in knowing that you are unprepared, underleveled and/or overwhelmed but running in weapons blazing anyway because that's what your character would do?

I'm doing a true no-metagaming run (minus traps, because from a roleplaying perspective I assume I'm always looking for traps) for the first time, and so far Windspear Hills at Level 8/9 has been the hardest for me, but I have just started and I know things will get more difficult.

It's going to be so fun :)

No-reloads with heroic characters, where I assume that my character will rush to save whoever is in trouble as soon as possible. After all, no-one ever said to Lassie / Flipper/ Skipper: "What's that? Someone's trapped in the mine? I'll be there in two weeks after I've limbered up by killing rats" :).

The time when I played through with my daughter was like this- yes we have to get Imoen right now!- plus she'd spread the wealth by giving decent weapons to npcs as payment before booting them :).
    Going up against Irenicus now.

Current Party
    1. My archer
    2. Minsc
    3. Imoen
    4. Jan
    5. Mazzy
    6. Viconia

RIP
    1. Valygar
    2. Xan
    3. Keldorn
    4. Jaheria (Killed by Irenicus's Cult Followers-Valiantly sacrificing herself so we could summon the Avatar of Rillifane)
    In Chapter 9
    Undecided between Sendai's Enclave or Floor 2 of Watcher's Keep
    Current Party:
    1. My Archer
    2. Sarevok
    3. Imoen
    4. Jan
    5. Mazzy
    6. Viconia
    RIP
    1. Valygar
    2. Xan
    3. Keldorn
    4. Jaheria
    5. Minsc (Killed by Gromnir, but not before leaving his bootprint firmly on his evil buttock)
    edited June 2017
    Update:
    6. Viconia has been killed by the Woodcutter
    My Current Party:
    1. My Archer
    2. Sarevok
    3. Jan
    4. Mazzy
    5. Aerie
    6. Rasaad

I didn't play BG1 with this character, but Imoen is now the only remaining member of Marek's Original Party left alive.

Just to Clarify: Imoen isn't dead, I just left her in the Pocket Plane.
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    Poor Rasaad

I lost him already to Ogremoch. TOB with this type of playthrough is merciless

Current Party:
    1. My Archer
    2. Sarevok
    3. Jan
    4. Mazzy
    5. Aerie
    6. Anomen

Please Note: Imoen is not dead, she is just no longer in the party (unless Jan or Aerie kicks it)
    edited June 2017
    I lost Sarevok whom I had recently redeemed to Sendai.

Current Party
    1. My Archer
    2. Jan
    3. Mazzy
    4. Aerie
    5. Anomen
    6. Korgan

Reserves: Imoen, Angelo

Dead: Valygar, Xan, Keldorn, Jaheria, Minsc, Viconia, Rasaad, Sarevok

Yes I realize that Korgan and Aerie don't get along, but my character doesn't know that. So Korgan will be my heavy hitter for now, as Minsc and Sarevok have sadly passed away :(
    I've lost another party member to the Aurmach Rilmani

Current Party
    1. My Archer
    2. Jan
    3. Mazzy
    4. Anomen
    5. Korgan
    Reserves: Imoen, Angelo

Dead: Valygar, Xan, Keldorn, Jaheria, Minsc, Viconia, Rasaad, Sarevok, Aerie.

I don't think my character would subject Imoen to such horrors, so I will have to bring Nalia in.
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    @DJ_Sweatz_2013 , that's a hecatomb rather than a playthrough xD
    edited June 2017
    @_Connacht_
    I'm afraid I don't understand your meaning.

I'm simply roleplaying my character, and once someone has been perma-killed there is nothing you can do, so my character moves on and hopes that his actions will make sure they did not die in vain.

It's still a playthrough, just with more serious repercussions.

Edit: Nalia is now with my party
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    a hecatomb is a metaphor for a slaughter, I was referring on all those unfortunate deaths
    @_Connacht_
    Ah that makes more sense.
    Fate is a cruel taskmaster, but my Archer moves on.
    edited June 2017
    I had another update to make, but I accidentally fell back on another save despite entering a new area.

I guess the gods have gifted my slain party members (yes, more death) a second chance.

I dread facing Draconis though, he's always been my most difficult foe.