Skip to content

Castlevania: the best Ravenloft animated series

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
edited May 2017 in Off-Topic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFuE5YpFQS0&sns=fb

Yes, i know about the Castlevania videogame series, but this netflix cartoon is going to have an adventuring party in a gothic setting fighting an expy of Dracula, just like freaking Ravenloft!

Oh, and the series is written by Warren Ellis who, like Mark Millar or Garth Ennis, is infamous for making comics with gory and outrageous/satirical content.

What classes would you give the characters?

Trevor Belmont: Paladin/Ranger.

Sypha Belnades: Wizard, Abjurer.

Grant Danasty: Rogue.

Alucard: Sorcerer, dragon bloodline.

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Hello? What do you think?
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511

It's animie, so I think they should kill it with fire.
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I look forward to check this series out. It has Warren Ellis as writer and producer, and that suggests the writing will be quite good.

Also, the fact that it looks like anime is a feature, not a bug.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Fardragon said:

The IP is from a Japanese company, so what did you expect?
    Fardragon said:

Its made by an American studio, It is as much an anime as the two Avatars and the new Voltron/Golion show.

Fardragon said:

Its made by an American studio, It is as much an anime as the two Avatars and the new Voltron/Golion show.
    Irrelevent. It's the art style I hate, not the country of origin. Indeed, if it was genuinely Japanese it would have some excuse, rather than being a cliched aping of something perceived as cool.

Also, I thought cultural appropriation was considered unacceptable in the US.
  • TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
    I don´t know why vampires remind me in of this old school game : https://youtube.com/watch?v=0hQ78xxlJ90&list=PLpxuazQ7SB4xwnREDY39ruTu0xKnYE2Lq
    Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Irrelevent. It's the art style I hate, not the country of origin. Indeed, if it was genuinely Japanese it would have some excuse, rather than being a cliched aping of something perceived as cool.

Your hatred is silly.

If it's the art style you hate (anime) and not the country of origin, can you explain how there is a wide variety of art styles employed in anime and whether you hate every single one of them, but are not actually targeting them because they're Japanese? I'm kind of curious.

Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Your hatred is silly.

If it's the art style you hate (anime) and not the country of origin, can you explain how there is a wide variety of art styles employed in anime and whether you hate every single one of them, but are not actually targeting them because they're Japanese? I'm kind of curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gQOYAp1-oU
    Well I mean if he wants to play "gotcha" about cultural appropriation...

Fardragon said:

Fardragon said:

Your hatred is silly.

I don't know if I hate all of them. If there is one without huge eyes, snub noses, spikey hair, short skirts and huge weapons then I might not hate it.

I'm well aware that some people like that kind of thing, and that's fine, but for me it is a huge turn-off and I am simply not going to watch something done in that style.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Fardragon said:

I don't know if I hate all of them. If there is one without huge eyes, snub noses, spikey hair, short skirts and huge weapons then I might not hate it.

GitS has quite realistic art style

That Castlevania trailer looks pretty tame in stylistic choice, too, by the way.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2017
    How about Vagabond Fardragon?

https://www.google.no/search?q=vagabond+manga&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiaqIT96ZLUAhWFkSwKHbMJDlwQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=945#imgrc=_

Has to be like 8 years since I read it now though..Oh how time flies:S

Warning! The link might contain some violent scenes.
    batoor said:

How about Vagabond Fardragon?

https://www.google.no/search?q=vagabond+manga&client=firefox-b-ab&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiaqIT96ZLUAhWFkSwKHbMJDlwQ_AUICigB&biw=1920&bih=945#imgrc=_

Has to be like 8 years since I read it now though..Oh how time flies:S

Warning! The link might contain some violent scenes.

Yes, I like that.
    Ardanis said:

That Castlevania trailer looks pretty tame in stylistic choice, too, by the way.

It lost me with the ridiculous tiny pointy noses.

Its kind of funny that anime back in the 80's used to ape the look of American movies(Fist of the Northstar and Space Adventure Cobra being the most egregious examples) and now American studios are aping the look of anime.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited May 2017
    Those muscular designs are way over the top, but I'm not sure the modern art is the right answer to it either. Any rugged rough physical traits or facial hair has pretty much disappeared from most mainstream art. Instead it's just this bland bishounen type artwork.

Also the protagonists back then were a lot older, which was better imo. Nowadays we mostly have twelve year old boys as protagonists and they save the world in a year or two? Realistically they've barely set foot into adulthood.

At least as far as superpower battle shounens are concerned.
    It's kind of like dad trying to be cool and with it.

"Vampires and anime are what the hip kids are down with!"

Yeah, fifteen years ago.
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    batoor said:

At least as far as superpower battle shounens are concerned.

To be honest, I would be with @Fardragon here, as far as fire is concerned :) Good thing I'm not the target demographic.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    @Fardragon
    I'm disappointed in the lack of tagging me in a discussion about art styles. I see how it is!

lmao
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    I always liked castlevania, which is why I probably like ravenloft and that wouldve been better as a show (or IE game)...hope this show does it justice though