Skip to content

Glass Canon, Tank terminology

This discussion was created from comments split from: Shar-teel my 6th npc.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    'Tank' probably came into gaming usage through strategy board/PnP games.

I'm fairly sure that 'glass cannon' is a literary reference, although I'm not sure of the original literary source.

Certainly both terms are quite long-established in gaming, perhaps even pre-dating computerisation.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    I really don't remember quite honestly. But it's stuff we used to describe certain game type characters in video games and such even when I was younger. Glass Cannon I know is something I heard in other places so we likely did pick that one up from somewhere else.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    fateless said:

We used glass cannon and tank back in those days. Where do you think the MMO players and such got them from?

Tank was used outside of the military shortly after the vehicle was introduced in WWI; I remember HL Mencken using it in an essay he wrote in the 1920s to describe Theodore Dreiser's novels effects on American literature
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    tbone1 said:

fateless said:

We used glass cannon and tank back in those days. Where do you think the MMO players and such got them from?

Tank was used outside of the military shortly after the vehicle was introduced in WWI; I remember HL Mencken using it in an essay he wrote in the 1920s to describe Theodore Dreiser's novels effects on American literature
    Huh? :) So 'tank' was used to describe novels but how does that correlate to the 'tank' of today meaning a armor/HP-heavy dude soaking up damage and taking all aggro?

I am probably derailing the thread here, so I apologize for that. I think this is interesting though so maybe it's better I create a new thread for discussing the terminology.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    @skatan Sorry, I wasn't clear. Mencken used the word to describe the effect that Dreiser's novels had on other writing. He was a great force, imperturbable, immune to the usual criticisms, etc, and swept away a lot of lightweights in the process.

And I was derailing as well, just trying to cite a historical example from an outside field.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330

'Tank' probably came into gaming usage through strategy board/PnP games.

I'm fairly sure that 'glass cannon' is a literary reference, although I'm not sure of the original literary source.

Certainly both terms are quite long-established in gaming, perhaps even pre-dating computerisation.

I remember them both being kind of basic defining quality descriptors in some sense even when I was younger. (We're talking 80's and 90's for me personally growing up.) A tank was tough and hard built like the armour on a tank and I remember some of them earlier on hitting fairly hard as well. They weren't always quicker. But I want to say as time went on it became more about their defense than their offense.

Glass Cannon for as long as I can remember has always been about offense with no defense to speak of. Dealing a lot of damage in hard hits. sometimes threatening to even take themselves out. But always in some level of danger of falling from damage taken, possibly even caused by splash-back of their own damage because they weren't as often focus fire types.

I remember it being a common damage dealer term before video games and MMO's really took over and real time gaming of various degrees to evolve the term of dps for the same overall kind of roles.

I remember as a kid I was more of the glass cannon type in the characters I played as often as not. Bit more high risk, high reward. But it was in part being drawn to the flashy and chancy style of the character. Where more often than not my character might go down in flames but at least it'd usually happen in spectacular fashion. That has been curbed somewhat for me as I've gotten older. But I still find myself being the pointman or taking a few more risks that others won't with my characters or in games so I take a bit more flack. But I also play a lot more strong support types as well.

I do however accept that my style is a bit different from the mainstream as well and not what everybody might think of as a typical powerhouse or things not everybody can get to work. (Thus my spending 7 or 8 years of playing a Melee Tank/DPS druid or a Beastmaster Hunter in WoW before burning out.)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    I'm pretty sure I hear the term glass cannon back in the 80s, before MMOs where invented. It seems likely it was first used to describe 1st edition AD&D Magic User class.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    So what is the difference between a glass cannon and a paper tiger?
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957

Paper tiger is something that seems dangerous but isn't.

Glass cannon is something dangerous, but fragile.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Seriously?

Both are very vulnerable to attack, but a glass cannon can do serious damage if not stopped quickly, whereas a paper tiger is harmless (although pretending to be dangerous).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    In reality though, a glass cannon will self explode in a one time miss fire while the paper tiger will continuously give people nasty paper cuts making it much more durable in damage ;)
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    lroumen said:

In reality though, a glass cannon will self explode in a one time miss fire while the paper tiger will continuously give people nasty paper cuts making it much more durable in damage ;)

But, all those glass shards...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    I'm pretty sure "glass cannon" predates gaming entirely. I first encountered it describing WWI era battlecruisers. I don't recall where I read that or when it was written, but it would have been the '70s at the latest.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Glass Cannon sounds like a great Mythbusters episode...