Skip to content

Please help, not sure where to post as i have yet to have many trouble with the game

InariiInarii Member Posts: 35
edited June 2017 in Troubleshooting
When ever i am fighting a mage or a lich that casts time stop spell the game crushes a second or two after. happens every time. obviously it makes the game almost unplayable as there are many many enemies who use time stop spell.
so i have started a new game with the big world setup of the hardest mods option installed. i might have switched around a few options to my liking but nothing big.
would appriciate help. so far (i am in spellhold) i have been able to cheese win those fights by casting acid fog and letting it kill the mages and or liches by waiting out their defences. but it becomes increasingly difficult to do so.
also i have trouble saving the game as i constantly have the messege that enemies are nearby, started after the shade lord village. the message appears every time i load a game. i can save normaly once i change a zone(but not go into a house, need to change zones like in amn map from temple districs to slams or something of the sort) and sometimes after i change zones orc archers appear(sometimes one or more depending on how many times i loaded before changing zones) i assume those are the enemies that prevent my saves and rests. but they dont appear after simply loading the game, only after changing maps and not always would they appear.

Comments

• GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    It can be difficult to know, in a heavily-modded game, exactly what is causing any particular bug.

Probably your best bet to track down the Time Stop fault is to save just before facing a lich (or other caster of Time Stop), and then remove mods one at a time, reloading and testing what happens with the lich after each removal. Of course this could be somewhat laborious and isn't guaranteed to identify a clear answer, but it probably gives you a reasonable chance to get on the track of the cause.
  • InariiInarii Member Posts: 35
    @Gallowglass that will be hard to do as i have used big world setup and i am unsure if i can even remove components one by one
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited June 2017
    You describe two issues here
    1. time stop
    2. enemies following you around

1. use changelog (google for it if you don't know about it) to find which mods and mod components may have changed the spell behaviour. (Normally SPWI909.spl)
    If the tool finds more than one, operate from the bottom up.
    Copy the spl from the backup folder of the identified mod/component into override. This will restore the spl to what it was before the mod was installed.
    Try it out in game.
    If it does not help, continue with the next candidate from the list.
    (It may be possible in a highly modded game that you have mod added spells for time stop, a search with Near Infinity on spl will tell you that)

2. Before you change areas to create an autosave, note down the area code of the area you leave (press x to tell you the coordinates and area code).
    Exit the game. (Maybe if you never did this before you may want to make a backup copy of your autosave somewhere else on your computer, just in case).
    Open the savegame from your autosave with Near Infinity.
    Go to subfolder baldur.sav.
    Decompress it.
    Find your area in the list shown now.
    Open it in edit mode.
    Look for the part that lists the creatures in that area.
    You should find your orc archers and maybe other invisible foe which cause *enemy nearby* and which are in follow mode. Most likely they are in a part that is inaccessible for you while in game.
    Delete those creatures from the file.
    Save on the areas menu.
    Compress the game again.
    Restart the game with your autosave.
    @PaulaMigrate thanks for the response. but to make things clearer. i think it's not the time stop itself that cases the crush, as i have fought irenicus in spellhold and he created copies of my party and my main characters copy cast time stop with no problems. i think it's something that all the mages and liches want to do after the time stop that cases the crush, like a script to do something that doesnt work right.

and about the second part. i have no idea how to do that. i have never done anything even close to that and i am preaty sure i will mess things up. and like i said when ever i change areas the orc archers sometimes appear and can be killed.
    edited June 2017
    Sorry, but without a chance to know which mods you have installed and in which order, there is no way of knowing which scripts your oponents have or what has been modded into them. In such a case the only ones able to help you will be those with the same problem but with the means to analyse it.
    I share your assumption that the issue is some spell/creature/effect that those mages cast after time stop. So you can find their scripts, find what is common and find what looks *suspicious* after time stop.

Or follow @Gallowglass ' advice

Or use my advice under 1. but instead of looking at what mods change the spl you would look for mods that change the bcs that is common to the respective foe.

Or find one of those cre files for an opponent you already have met with the problem. Disable his scripts one by one - spawn him and see if you can narrow it down to one offending script.

In any case it requires some work to find the issue and then some more to correct it (if that is possible).

As for your 2.
    There is a tactical mod (forgot its name) that makes the game harder by NOT ALLOWING you to save except those autosaves. Are you sure you have NOT installed it?
    @PaulaMigrate well i used the big world setup and installed the hardest mods option the only change i did is to also install a component for the party AI BP Series Party AI for BG 0.3121 i think it was the detecable spells.

no i did not use the not allowing for saves mod. as i only got this problem after the encounter in umar hill village the one with the golum and the ring reference where you fight tons of orc, uroc hi. where smeagul in the taven asks you to find his ring. after that enounter it seems like the orc archers from it keep stalking me and spawning frm time to time. hope i was clear and you understand this.
    Aha! Now you've given a useful clue. In the unmodded game, there's no "Gollum and the Ring" encounter, so some mod must have added that. Therefore assume that that's the buggy mod which is causing the second problem, so uninstall that mod, and test again to see if that fixes the issue.
    @Gallowglass and @PaulaMigrate i have encountered a new problem... btw i have yet to solve the other 2, but seem able to wrok around them for now. the new problem is actually really annoying. in ust natha in Adalons lair she just turns hostile the first time i enter, if i am quick enough i can talk to her before she turns hostile and get turned to a drow but she still turns hostile afterwards. dont know what to do please help if you can.
    One thing to try is to disable all the AI scripts and the AI latern for your party prior entering her area. With your extreme mode settings it is possible that some pre-buffs trigger which the dragon interprets as hostile acts. Or leave your thief outdoors, something perculiar about dragons and traps.
    @PaulaMigrate i diabled the scripts of my party. but did you mean totaly remove them like set the scripts to non or BP scripta D button which disables them is enough?

well i have tried to disable the scripts and it didnt work. and i cant actually leave the thieves outside because everyone has to enter her lair. i did leave the thieves on the stair near the entrance. but she still turns hostile. very annoying indeed. i dont know anything about prebuffs, i also even dispelled the baffs i had before entering. my character is not evil. he is neutral but with high reputation. i dont have any evil character with me. it seems like the Adalon just triggers a fight after spoting me. it is not imidiate only happening after crossing a sertain point on the floor. i will try using ctrl + j and teleport near her maybe it will work. nope teleporting near her doesnt work she still turns hostile. dont know what to do... would be annoying to kill her though i can trigger the drow transformation and just run away. do you happen to know Adalon Creature code? i will try to summon her in her champer closer to the exit and maybe the one i summon wont turn hostile.
    So far as I can see from your earlier description of how your game is configured, there's no obvious (to me) reason why Adalon should be automatically hostile.

However, since you've evidently ignored my earlier advice about how to test and identify the previous problem with your heavily-modded game, I'm therefore not strongly inclined to bother tryiing to assist you again, since you don't seem willing to listen and conduct the necessary tests.

Perhaps someone else can be bothered, but not me. You're on your own, pal, figure it out for yourself.
    edited June 2017
    Adalon cre name is UDSilver
    Do you have the crystal from those gnomes with you?

Or
    Extract this file into you game/override folder
    Post edited by PaulaMigrate on
    @Gallowglass i am sorry you think i am ignoring your advice which is not true. it simply takes time as i am trying to identify the correct mods still. i think i have have around 100 of them (maybe 100 is overestimation but i know it's a lot) installed and many of them big with multiple components and i am searching for readmes to look for components in each and it takes time, so sorry you feel like i am disrespecting your advice and time you took to try and help me.
    @PaulaMigrate Thanks a lot, the file you provided worked. and yes i had the light crystal from the dwarves.
    @Inarii - my apologies. I'd had a tough day and was in a bad mood when I posted last night, but I shouldn't have snapped at you. Sorry about that.

Nevertheless, I can't currently think of a helpful suggestion to solve your problem.
    The lich problem could probably be solved in the same way like UDSilver - by replacing the borked script with a working one. For this you need to provide the name of the Liches in question and the names of their scripts. The way to find a good one is to use the script name and follow the procedure I suggested in an earlier post by using change-log. You will find a history of former versions of the scripts in the various backup folders and you can copy them to override until you have a sane one.

The creature following can most likely be solved by repairing a savegame (also described in an earlier post). If you cannot do it yourself, you can post a zip file of an autosave together with the information from where to where you were travelling.

In general - consult BWS about what it has to say about *Expert installs*. (BP + SCS + others in one game?) Don't do them unless you feel like being able to solve the resulting issues. Or at least being able to follow the basic repair options.
    For an expert install you should know how to
    - use the console to gather information and providing input
    - use Near Infinity (EE keeper can do it in a limited way) to read, find, and repair files
    - use NI to repair savegames
    - use tools to find source of stuttering, lag etc
    - use a tool like changelog and interpret its results
    - use Weidu for eventual reinstall of mods/components (this also means you need to know what is inside the Weidu logs and what some mods do or not do). Not all mods can be reinstalled.
    - know when to stop, i.e. there may always be a point in an expert install where all of the above will not make your game experience any better. Unless your intention is to test/troubleshoot, there is a point where your best option is a re-install (avoiding the errors of the previous one).

You have not even posted your Weidu.log to help analysis.

I can only quote @Gallowglass
    Nevertheless, I can't currently think of a helpful suggestion to solve your problem.
    @PaulaMigrate @Gallowglass it is fine i understand i have been unhelpfull and seemed to ignore your advices and i took no offence from you gallowglass so no apology was needed but apriciated non the less. now i may seem like a noob but where do i get the weidu.log is it in the instal forlder? hope the file i posted is the correct one.
    yeah i have a problem with stopping when installing mods as i want to try as many as i can. well except companion mods(for some reason i never seem to like them, and i also very like the original companions) and i dont know when to stop or even how many i can instal or what works with what. i figured the big world installer knows what it is doing and just chose an option that seemed to my liking. and did almost(except 1) changes to what it suggested in the install. so i am sorry to have cause you a head acke or made you feel bad in anyway by my noobish ways. i just love baldur's gate games very much and enjoy replaying them from time to time(about once or twice a year) so apologies again. and maybe you can saggest to me what to instal to make my next game experience good, if you agree i will describe what i want from my game and you might suggest what mods would work best so that i dont install to many of them and ruin my game again.
    The Weidu.log is helpful. Your post above already says all there is to say. There is not really a culprit mod here, just an unhealthy mixture of too much. Most of the NPC, quest and content mod have no problem with each other, sometimes you need to observe a sequence for results. When it comes to Ai and strategic mods , spell and item revisions and similar, the sequence and mixture is essential. For this you can either trust the BWS selection and follow it or you really need to read very carefully the mod readme's and other information.
    There is no reason not to try other things - but either you continue with the bugs or you will find that you end up spending more time on troubleshooting than on playing the game.

To be honest - where does all my knowledge about this come from? Yes, I made all these mistakes myself.
    I learned about the tools and code and how to find issues and what are repair options because I got stuck in my all-you-can-get-on-the-platter mega installs and was too stubborn to delete my game and start anew. There is a solution for all your problems with the current install, but not a straightforward one. And you probably create a sideeffect for everything you fix in a running game.
    @PaulaMigrate and @Gallowglass any suggestion on what mods to instal so my game wont have to many problem like what works and stuff. i like hard challanges and smart opponents and battles. good new kits and spells. also quests and areas. if can point me in a direction of a good instal order. since if i just see a list with many mods in it in the correct order i would probably just instal all of them again. some i understood from you dont play nice which each other but i lack the knowlage and would appreciate your experience and advice
    The BWS has just been updated today, so I would suggest you use that. Probably chose one of the proposed collections depending on your game, add SCS to it. Kit mods and spells. Make sure you eliminate all the possible conflicts the BWS points out to you. Only go to the install step when you cleaned all issues. If you decide to include a mod, avoid mod subcomponents that are not pre-selected in BWS, it's done for a reason. Stay away from everything yellow, orange and red in BWS, there is still enough without those.

I can't give you detailed advice here since the only ever way I play the EE's is in form of the EET. (And I always go for expert installs in order to find such bugs and incompatibility issues and try to sort them out so we can improve the mods.)
    @PaulaMigrate if i might trouble you for one more question.
    i have finished the first part of the game and got a mod quest to go to candlekeep and do a new quest it is part of the Darkest Day quest the last one in baldurs gate 2 before throne of bhaal. at the end of the quest after i finished everything this woman Mary Magus told me i needed to come to her house and talk to her when i wanted to finish the game and continue onwards, she has also marked her house on the current map. but when i enter the house she is not there. i tried summoning her with consel commands but she doesnt speak with me(does not respond) i found that there is a doopway no another room but i dont seem to be able to enter as there is no indication it is even possible, i have spent a good 20 min mousing over to try to find a spot to go to the other room but i could not. i coult find an answer online and i have spent a good half day searching for it. so if you might know of a solution or know the area code to that room because i could not find it and i dont know where to search for it, i would greatly appriciate it.
    edited June 2017
    Inarii said:

@PaulaMigrate if i might trouble you for one more question.
    i have finished the first part of the game and got a mod quest to go to candlekeep and do a new quest it is part of the Darkest Day quest the last one in baldurs gate 2 before throne of bhaal. at the end of the quest after i finished everything this woman Mary Magus told me i needed to come to her house and talk to her when i wanted to finish the game and continue onwards, she has also marked her house on the current map. but when i enter the house she is not there. i tried summoning her with consel commands but she doesnt speak with me(does not respond) i found that there is a doopway no another room but i dont seem to be able to enter as there is no indication it is even possible, i have spent a good 20 min mousing over to try to find a spot to go to the other room but i could not. i coult find an answer online and i have spent a good half day searching for it. so if you might know of a solution or know the area code to that room because i could not find it and i dont know where to search for it, i would greatly appriciate it.

You installed TDDz for EET, is that correct? Should be if your weidu.log from a few posts back is still valid.
    It is odd that this dialogue is still in it. It shouldn't.

You got the last quest from Elhan at Suldanessalar before entering the palace and tree of life, right? You did not yet fight Irenicus?
    You finished the TDD quest. The dialogue line is a bug. You should return to Suldanessalar and finish SoA.

What Mary says is a relict of the old BGT version. Because here the last TDD quest started after the Irenicus battle in the final scene with Ellesime - you did the quest - you talked to Mary - you went into that house and the transition to ToB was initiated. "Come to see me when you desire to move on toward your destiny in the lands to the south. Allow me to mark the location of my home on your map." The lands to the south of course being the ToB areas...

But in EET the transition is after Irenicus battle and directly after the Ellesime talk while the TDD quest is done earlier.
    @PaulaMigrate EET? sorry for not knowing what it is.
    and no i did not get the quest from Elhan. i got the quest from the queen after i beat irenicus.
    edited June 2017
    Inarii said:

@PaulaMigrate EET? sorry for not knowing what it is.
    and no i did not get the quest from Elhan. i got the quest from the queen after i beat irenicus.

I see. Do this
    C:MoveToArea("mm5103")
    Mary should be there. If not summon her C:CreateCreature("ddmary"). Talk to her. When you say you are ready the transit into ToB should start.
    @PaulaMigrate thank you very much!!! i helped me a lot. it worked. since when i tried to start a new game in throne of bhaal and import my game it just did not start and here it worked perfectly. thank you so much again. if you dont mind i will now and again ask you a question or two if they arise since you have been able to help me with most everything so far.