Skip to content

Where are footstep sounds?

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
I noticed that characters - humans and demihumans - make different sounds on different terrain. Some kinds use the same sounds, like hard floors and stone - gravel and pebbles. Where are those resources? How are they used? Perhaps I should patch avatars with better footsteps for terrain, if it's only a matter of not enough sound files.

And ogres stomp in the fog of war, but not when they appear on the scene. Their INI file has the field for footsteps sounds empty. Would be much better to hear those thundering footfalls during fights too.

Comments

• badungubadungu Member Posts: 53
    Walking sounds are currently hardcoded and are defined through the Search Map... (ToBEx unhardcoded those for nonEE)

For more information: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46632/externalize-search-map-walk-sounds-to-anitnsnd-2da

Can't say anything to the fog of war thing...
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460

• chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    That's a very... understandable instruction. :D

Reminds me an old "I Use Microsoft Paint" cartoon.

Well, I only looked briefly into footsteps when purging INI files of sounds, but I know that footsteps get thrown off when close fighting begins. A skeleton click-clacks its way around its spawning point, but after he starts swinging and pursues, there are no more steps. Then, if the party teleports away, the fight will end. The skeleton will go after them, and in the silence they will hear approaching footsteps in the fog of war until the skeleton emerges into view, attacks and they fade again. It is the same with the heavy crushes of ogres. Ogres and others will start thundering about again once combat quiets down.

This definitely has to do with combat counters or the game taking account of fighting in some way, because even if an ogre is not involved in the fight and just walks about, he still makes no sound while combat music plays.
  • chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
    Can anybody tell me if iron golems in the game have no footsteps? They don't if you make a creature with that animation and have it walk around, and footsteps get cut off during combat... But I tested with BG1, where there aren't normally any iron or adamantine golems. Has anybody run around as an iron golem in BG2? I'd like to know if they really don't stomp at all - I'm putting together a little sound mod, and if they don't, I'm going to give them some ponderous crashes.