Skip to content

NPC Mod Idea

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
I have a great idea for an NPC Mod, but none of the skills to create it.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    NPC mods take time, especially well-written ones. Most modders typically aren't willing to invest the amount of time required on someone else's ideas, although you might get lucky and have someone find your idea really inspiring.

Your options are either 1), let people know what it is, and maybe find someone who likes it enough to realize your idea, or 2) develop it yourself. I'd recommend you take a look at the various NPC modding tutorials, such as Kulyok's Branwen, which has comments within the code to guide you through the process (although it does use slightly older coding standards, but don't worry about that.)

If you want to do it yourself, I'd encourage you to start on a smaller scale (maybe a single new quest using existing areas/NPCs, or a couple new items), and then build up. Writing NPC mods requires knowledge of dialog and script writing, creature design, item design, and occasionally kit design, and while you can get as much help as you may need to get yourself through the process, it's better to go into it comfortable with at least some of the skills required.

Even if you do decide to pursue the project yourself, it'd be great if you let others know what you were planning, so we could offer you advice on how to proceed, what is/isn't doable, or other information about modding the Infinity Engine games.
    ThacoBellfranco8737tbone1
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited June 2017
    @Aquadrizzt Yeah that makes sense.

Basically I'm turning one of my favorite CHARNAMES into an NPC.

The Basics I have right now are
    Zaram Maldovar
    CN Human Dragon Disciple
    Str: 10
    Dex: 14
    Con: 16 (At Level 1)
    Int: 17 (18 in BG2)
    Wis: 8
    Char: 12 (14 in BG2)

I realize that 12/14 is a broken stat for a Dragon Disciple, but since plenty of NPCs like Minsc, Coran, Kagain and Baeloth have broken stats, I'm sure it can be done.

A Pyromaniac Sorceror whose heart is in the right place most of the time, but tends to do whatever whim strikes him at the moment.

In his backstory he will likely be either the brother or biological son of Gorion, giving him an interesting connection to CHARNAME without needing to be another Bhaalspawn.

Edit: To clarify, CHARNAME finds either as a statue or being trapped inside his own staff, which explains the time gap and why Zaram is roughly a few years older than CHARNAME rather than being much older.

I still haven't had all the NPCs in my party yet (despite playing for almost a decade) but I'm working on his reactions to events, quests, and NPCs.

While I'm trying to focus on writing BG1/SOD for now, his sidequest involing the upgrading of his staff will persist throughout the entire saga.