Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Will run on my laptop?

2»

Comments

  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    edited September 2012
    I have an acer aspire one netbook with one of those intel atom single cores

    Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz

    1gb ram

    Intel(R) GMA 950 for graphics

    I can run NWN1 with all xp's but its kind of laggy...im expecting bgee to be fine?

    (But original bg and any other IE game works flawlessly on high settings)

  • rosestormrosestorm Member Posts: 23
    It should be noted that Baldur's Gate came out in 1998, if your computer can't run it then it is time to upgrade your machine. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but any computer that has trouble running this would have to be ancient by tech standards.

  • SylonceSylonce Member Posts: 65
    edited September 2012
    @LordsDarkKnight185 I'm intending to try BG:EE on a netbook just like that for traveling myself. I suspect it will be fine though. Yeah, NWN1 runs a little slow on such a machine, but they both use openGL, and I can't even imagine that BG:EE would have graphics that are more sophisticated than NWN. Should be fine.

  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    edited September 2012
    rosestorm said:

    It should be noted that Baldur's Gate came out in 1998, if your computer can't run it then it is time to upgrade your machine. I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but any computer that has trouble running this would have to be ancient by tech standards.

    BG came out in 98...BGEE came out in 2012. While they are the same on the outside, they are very different on the inside, and require newer hardware (roughly NWN1 quality hardware)

  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 9,481
    Not really. NWN has to render a full screen 3D environment and effects in real time. Not a problem BG EE face, with it's pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds and relatively simple effects.

    The computational needs of BG EE should be much lower than NWN, probably not much above the original release.

  • mlnevese said:

    Not really. NWN has to render a full screen 3D environment and effects in real time. Not a problem BG EE face, with it's pre-rendered sprites and backgrounds and relatively simple effects.

    The computational needs of BG EE should be much lower than NWN, probably not much above the original release.

    Thats a relief...i was really worried when Trent Oster said the game was rewritten to do some stuff i didnt really follow what he said, but i remember he said something about open-gl like NWN or something? ._.

  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863

    Contrary to BG2, where only spell effects were hardware accelerated, and even then hardware acceleration could be disabled in favor of 2D rendering, BG:EE is completely hardware accelerated. Integrated Intel video cards such as yours reportedly have performance issues with OpenGL, which is the API BG:EE relies upon to render its graphics.

    Yes... well, after reading this thread, you may want to let the developers know I'm not the only one trying to run the game with an Intel GMA. The original game runs just fine with such a chip but unfortunately, not the enhanced edition thus far. It needs to be fixed or the many folks with such chips will just run the original game, Tutu or BGT.

  • ReoyeahReoyeah Member Posts: 10
    I have a question. I also use a laptop. Specs here:

    Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.0 Ghz
    3 GB RAM
    Nvidia GeForce 9600M GS

    I had some strange problems with original Baldur's Gate (low FPS, graphical issues, that's pretty creepy), but I read, that Enhanced Edition will be adjusted to newer computers. So... do you think it will run smoothly?

  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,457
    Miloch said:

    Integrated Intel video cards such as yours reportedly have performance issues with OpenGL, which is the API BG:EE relies upon to render its graphics.

    Yes... well, after reading this thread, you may want to let the developers know I'm not the only one trying to run the game with an Intel GMA. The original game runs just fine with such a chip but unfortunately, not the enhanced edition thus far.
    Wait, that got me a little scared... my notebook runs on Intel HD Graphics, and a Google search brought up various mentions of no OpenGL support. Does that mean I'll have trouble running BG:EE?

  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2012
    Okay, I found out the answer. The latest drivers for Intel HD Graphics do have support for OpenGL... unless you're on Windows 8 running a 1st-generation Core iX processor.

    I found out I was unable to even run BG2 properly (it lagged a lot, except with 3d acceleration on, in which case it would have all sorts of glitches and not render text). In case anyone's interested, here's a way of installing the Windows 7 drivers for this graphic card on Win 8:

    http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/4418-mobile-intel-series-4-mobile-i3-i5-i7-hd-graphics-6.html

    Post edited by Kilivitz on
  • MilochMiloch Member Posts: 863
    @Kilivitz - that's great for Win8 I guess and maybe Win7, but what about the folks still running WinXP? My netbook actually came with Win7 Home Edition but it sucked, too up too much memory, was not as customisable, so I downgraded.

  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2012
    It should work for WinXP, provided you download and install the drivers from the Intel website (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Default.aspx?lang=eng) - the drivers from Windows Update usually leave out OpenGL support. Go figure.

    Now, based on what you said before, I'm assuming that since it fixed BG2, BG:EE will run without a problem. I may be wrong.

    I'm usually an early adopter for new versions of Windows, but if 8 doesn't run BG:EE, I'm seriously considering going back to Win 7 for a few months.

Sign In or Register to comment.