Skip to content

Horn of Kazgaroth - Disappearing after several uses?

ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
It appears the Horn of Kazgaroth has unlimited uses but it disappears after around 3-4 maps' worth of usage. The character who uses it has only died once in the entire playthrough so it can't be that. Could be it some error caused by saving and loading too often? Or is it just an error between the description and actual mechanics?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    It does have limited charges - like wands though you can sell it and buy it back to recharge it.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I always edit it to 1 use/day. It's a bloody relic, after all.
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    Now that I tested it, it only seems to have one charge?? I swear I was using it multiple times before.. that makes the item almost not worth it at all, I gave it more charges by spawning it in, since there's no way to sell it back like Wands if it's only 1 charge.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,317
    From memory it has 15 charges when you first buy it and 30 if you sell it and repurchase. If you only saw one then did you console it in (by default charged items only have one charge when consoled, though you can reset the number of charges if you want)?
    edited July 2017
    Grond0 said:

From memory it has 15 charges when you first buy it and 30 if you sell it and repurchase. If you only saw one then did you console it in (by default charged items only have one charge when consoled, though you can reset the number of charges if you want)?

I realized this now, but this really makes it an underwhelming item to me. Sure it's really powerful, and 15 charges may seem like a lot, but the duration is so short, ~10-15 seconds roughly.. and then it's permanently gone. Which wouldn't be as big of a deal if I could actually see how many charges it has so I could refill it. It feels more like an item that should be 1-2 uses a day to me, mainly because of how short the duration is and the fact it costs life to use.

I'm just going to spawn it with 100 uses, it's unlikely I'll use that many, we mainly save it for fighting mages. I understand 15 charges could potentially be enough for the whole game if you only use it for the really big battles, but I prefer the idea of having it as a ready-available ability that my friends' character can use anytime, at the expense of health.
  • fatelessfateless Member Posts: 330
    That's just it though really. It's an underwhelming item. To me Kazgoth's were always underwhelming items even in pen and paper. And I think they did a bit more in pnp.
    edited July 2017
    fateless said:

That's just it though really. It's an underwhelming item. To me Kazgoth's were always underwhelming items even in pen and paper. And I think they did a bit more in pnp.

It's just so hyped up by the cost really. When you go to High Hedge for the first time and this Mage with an epic home/temple/wizard tower w/e you want to call it, and he has these 2 rare items with all these stats costing 12K+ (with no charisma or rep bonuses yet) and you're thinking wow these items must be really good. To find out the horn only has 15 uses it kind of disappointing, but I understand why they limited it I guess. But limiting its charges kind of restricts you to using it in a 'metagaming' sense that you have to know where all the tough encounters are or you'll probably end up wasting it. That's also true for wands/potions/scrolls to an extent but at least you can see their number of charges listed on it.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I think I used it about once, found out its awful duration and never used it again. Seems tremendously overpriced imho. At that price it would be useful if it lasted a minute maybe, but compared to the One Gift Lost, or the Greenstone? AHAHAHAHAHA *ahem* yeah, it's terrible in contrast.
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,024
    Yes, it is underwhelming. That claw though is an item I usually take from BG1 all most all the way through the saga.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    The Claw is another story, and is very handy on the right character.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2017
    DreadKhan said:

The Claw is another story, and is very handy on the right character.

Any character with Constitution between 9 and 14 can make good use of the Claw.

A non-warrior with 18 Constitution can use it safely too.