Skip to content

You know, it's fun that magic makes no sense

chimericchimeric Member Posts: 1,163
I've invented rules. I've read and watched fantasies without number. I've come up with rationalizations that make a scientific sense, a quasi-scientific sense, a pseudo-scientific sense, a poetic sense and ones that are totally coo-coo. I've sized ups against downs and weighed what-ifs by might-have-beens. Should magic be about born talents? Musty tomes? Or is it smoke and mirrors? Telepathy? Solidly forgotten ancient research!? Just give me a system!!! And you know what? It all blew in my face! I've come full circle and out of the closet: I now LOVE IT when magic makes no sense whatsoever, when it's out of proportion, when nobody can put it on a balance sheet with debit on the left and credit on the right. When it's FREE. I don't give a pink phoenix's patoot whether some player base would find it predictable enough, whether it's canon and consistent throughout. Keep your laws of Mystra, too, along with heavy sighs about not being able to do enough for your staff length! Let the cards stream out of my sleeves!

ZaghoulThacoBell

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    A nice conclusion I think. I have often thought humans tend to feel better when thinking they can understand something (feel safer, more in control, etc), whether it be with science, mathematics, or religion, or in this case, magic Personally, I don't think everything in the universe can be understood, and that's ok.
    Same with magic, if it's fun and sparks imagination, what does it matter, just enjoy and run with.

Looking at magic from today's perspective, can be harder for some to believe or rationalize, as opposed to other times in history when an understanding of magic or the supernatural was much easier to accept.
    Anyway, nice point. B)
    ThacoBellchimeric
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I can go for both rational and completely bonkers magic, so long as which one we are dealing with is consistent within its own system.
    Zaghoul
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    ThacoBell said:

I can go for both rational and completely bonkers magic, so long as which one we are dealing with is consistent within its own system.

That does help a bit when trying to immerse oneself, into a game for example. Even then I would say an occasional break would be ok, to bring the unexplainable into a scenario to mess with characters heads a little and keep em guessing. ;)
    ThacoBell
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I like consistency in systems, but the rare exception can make things interesting. I find storytelling bogs down, or my interest fades if power levels end up too high. Ymmv!

In the right story it can work to have deity-level power.