Skip to content

Kit Suggestion: Pyromancer

Sorceror Kit

All desc. and abilities subject to change, this is a rough draft. Feel free to help me out

PYROMANCER:

While dedication is a strong word, the pyromancer has spent his life haphazardly combining his innate magical ability with his hobby (talent is a strong word) of playing with fire.

Hit Die: d4
Advantages:

+5% fire resistance per level

+1 Bonus to AC for every five levels

+1 Bonus to Constitution at 10th and 20th levels.

May use Fire Ball once per day for every five levels starting at Level 5 with one use.

May use Fire Shield (Red) Once Per Day for every ten levels starting at Level 10 with one use.

5th level: May use Breath Weapon once per day: Pyromancer breathes a gout of flame up to 30 ft. long, inflicting 3d8 points of fire damage on all creatures caught within the 140 degree cone. It also bypasses magic resistance

9th level: Breath Weapon increases to 4d8

12th level: Breath Weapon increases to 5d8

15th level: Breath Weapon increases to 6d8

20th level: Breath Weapon increases to 10d8

+1 to Attack Rolls when casting fire-based spells (increases to +2 at 10th level at +3 at 20th level)

Disadvantages:

-2 to Attack Rolls when using Ice-Related Spells.

Alignment restricted to any chaotic.

May cast one fewer spell per level per day.

May not gain Cold Resistance.

Wisdom Score May not exceed 10

Comments

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Seems very similar to the Dragon Disciple kit.
    DreadKhanArtonaNoobacca
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    edited July 2017
    If you burn a pick on Fireball or Fireshield (Red), you'll get way more of them per day than just from innates. Though at least for Fireball you're getting it ahead of schedule by one level.

How do you plan to implement the penalty to ice spells? And wouldn't it make more sense to just make them unusable by this kit?
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Chronicler
    That's the intention, but I'm trying to design a kit that fits my character better.

He likes Fire....a lot.
    Raduziel
    @Pokota

I don't know how to do code, this kit is a suggestion that is in it's 1st rough draft and idea I came up with literally a few hours ago.

But maybe someone who does code will pick up on it. In the meantime, I'm going to work on it a bit more.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I would say drop the Fire Breath innate and grant extra Fire spells instead; maybe one Aganazzar's Scorcher per day per two levels starting at level 1, and one Flame Blade per day per three levels starting at level three?
    ZaramMaldovar
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    ... I thought this was going to be a thief pyromaniac who throws explosives rather than setting traps...
    Sunder
    @Kamigoroshi
    Sorry to disappoint you, but this is basically character building.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Kamigoroshi
    How's this then

Draft II

Pyromancer:
    Considered the less disciplined cousins of the Dragon Disciple, Pyromancers began to notice an innate knack for and obsession with fire at a young age and have honed this ability to increase the power and frequency of their fire moves. Although they may be good or evil in intention, their chaotic nature often means they cause more problems than they solve and while they are formidable opponents in battle may pyromancers are not wise strategists and they often meet a premature demise.

Advantages

-Starts with base 50% fire resistance and gains an additional +5% fire resistance every 2 levels.
    - -1 to Casting Time for all Fire-related Spells (increases to -2 at Level 20)
    -Gains Fireball as an innate ability at Level 5 (gains an additional Fireball for every 5 levels for a maximum of 5 at Level 25)
    -May cast Advanced Fireball once per day starting at Level 10
    Advanced Fireball:
    The Pyromancer hurls forth a particularly large and deadly projectile of fire from his fingertips which deals 1D6 Damage per level of the caster (for a maximum of 15D6) and lowers the fire resistance of everyone effected by 1% for each level of the caster. A Save vs. Spell will negate half the damage and a separate Save vs. Spell at -2 penalty will prevent any loss of fire resistance. The caster is not effected but any other creature in a 45 ft. radius will so caution is advised when casting this spell.
    -May cast Fire Shield (Red) once per day for every 5 levels starting at Level 5 for a maximum of 4 times at Level 20
    -May cast Gout of Flame once per day starting at Level 15
    Gout of Flame:
    Gout of Flame releasing a column of flame from the Pyromancer's mouth similar to that of Aganazzar's Scorcher which burns so hot that it pierces through all but the toughest magical barriers, removing one spell protection from the target and dealing 3D8 damage to all in it's path with no saving throw. This column does not discriminate between friend or foe, so caution is advised when using this deadly attack.
    -Gains +1 to Dexterity at Level 10, 20 and 30
    Disadvantages:
    -Alignment restricted to any Chaotic.
    -May not gain Cold Resistance
    -May not cast spells which deal ice damage
    -Suffers a -1 penalty to casting time when casting defensive spells.
    -May cast one less spell per level per day.
    -Wisdom score may not exceed 10

Hit dice: d4
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Some observations:

1) Starting with 50% fire resistance is way too high IMHO.

2) I can't see how a low Wisdom Pyromancer would survive long enough to have a career.

3) Why does it gain Dexterity?

4) IDK with the "lower fire resistance", "no gain cold resistance" and spell casting bonus/penalty for specific spells are viable. I think that a solution would be to make an edited version of every single spell that you wish to be affected by this feature and add them to the Pyromancer's spell book. But that way you would start the game with tons of spells, especially things like Stoneskin.

And the concept of "defensive" is kind of unclear. Is Project Image defensive? Fireshield - both fire and defensive spell - what to do?

A solution for this would be altering only fire spells to reduce its casting time by two and give the kit a penalty of increase casting time by one for every other spell. This way a Pyromancer would start with all fire spells in its spellbook (what makes sense) with a net casting time bonus of one.
    edited July 2017
    @Raduziel
    Like I said, these are still rough drafts, but allow me to shed some light on some of your observations

1. Perhaps 50% to begin with is too much, but I wanted my kit to immediatly stand out for it's innate fire reisistance and 50% seemed the best way to go. Either way I want him immune to fire by Level 20 or sooner. Perhaps there is a better progression rate?
    2. Gorion, Jaheria and Khalid. Also Dumb Luck
    3. I wanted to increase natural armor class but in a different way than the Dragon Disciple. Perhaps this was the wrong approach though.
    4. I originally came up with that concept but I thought that -1 casting time for all spells was too much. Now that I think about it though, this works perfectly. And yes, having all the fire spells in the books works, rather than limiting his spells in general.

I should figure another rough draft in the next few days but in the meantime if anyone thinks they have a better suggestion for the kit, please post it. Note however that I wish this kit to be arcane and will ignore any further suggestions otherwise. Mage or Sorceror subkits are both exceptable, though I prefer him to be a Sorceror.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2017
    1. You can start with 5% and gain another 5% every level, up to 100% at level 20, for example.

2. This seems too specific IMHO. Kits need to be a little more general, otherwise, it's just a character build. And IDK if it is even possible to limit an attribute - but I'm a baby crawling my way into modding.

3. Why? Maybe it's just me, but kit features need to make sense or it will be only a power play option. Anyway, if you check the Dexterity table you'll see that unless in specific ranges, raising DX can do close to nothing regardless AC.

There's an opcode (332) used in the Robe of Red Flames that increases the damage delivered by fire spells. That would be a much better feature, I think.