Skip to content

BG1, must obtain items

WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
Rather than bombard me with literally everything, what are say 10 must obtain items I can check off my "to obtain" list.

Please include location, anything pertinent to obtaining them, and if necessary what chapter they are locked behind.

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    1 Dagger of Venom, bought from Thunderhammer.
    2 Arrows of Detonation, bought from Sorc Sundries.
    3 Arrows of Dispelling, bought from Sorc Sundries.
    4 Spider's Bane, kill Centeol
    5 Gauntlets of Dex, kill bandits on bridge near gnoll stronghold
    6 Gauntlets of Ogre Power, kill entropy loving women on the ship near the docks in Baldur's Gate
    7 Tome of Strength, Candlekeep Catacombs locked sarcophagus
    8 Composite Longbow +1, buy from Feldeposts Inn
    9 Cloak of Balduran, pickpocket Quenash in the Undercellar
    10 Boots of Speed, kill guards of Cloakwood Mine

These are often pretty gamebreaking, though not all are really the best, just hard to not make good use of. Jonourable mentions to Ring of Invisbility, Claw of Kazgoroth, Robes of Archmagi, One Gift Lost, Staff of Striking, and Greenstone Amulet.
    bob_veng
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    Aside from plot items, there is nothing essential in BG1 that you MUST obtain.

The list from @DreadKhan are nice to have trinkets just like his honorable mentions.
    You can play and win BG1 without any of them. Also mind that the use of those items and thus their value for you depends on your protagonist and the companions you let join. Not everything is useful for everybody.
    It's an old prejusice that you can only play the game if you have a certain party constellation and equip them with certtain items, Constant repetition of such *wisdom* doesn't make it any better. All it leads to is that everybody follows the same downtrodden way through the game.
    Free yoursef from such constraints, they are not necessary. Take it as it comes and enjoy it, Doing it this way lets you enjoy your 20th playthrough just like your first,
    ThacoBelltmaso[Deleted User]
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Depends on your party composition.
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    edited July 2017
    Party: Kagain, Archer, Kivan, Branwen, Baeloth, Imoen.

Staff of striking, what use is this? Backstabbing? And same question for Greenstone Amulet. Also where can I get scroll case(s) and gem bag(s)?
    Post edited by Wrathofrecca on
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    edited July 2017
    Staff of Striking hits incredibly hard, backstab or not. Greenstone Amulet makes its user immune to a range of annoying spells when used. Its handy especially on reloads where a confusion spell does you in for example.

For the scroll case, try helping Firebead in Beregost. For the gem bag, try helping Neera, also in Beregost. I think you can get it from her corpse if she dies, but I could be wrong.
    Post edited by DreadKhan on