Skip to content

Carsomyr and Chrysamere

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
So, having been playing Morrowind lately, I can't help but notice the similarity between Carsomyr from BG2 and Chrysamere from the Morrowind. Both of them are powerful two-handed swords. Carsomyr is only usable by paladins and Chrysamere is called "The Paladin's Blade". Their names are also quite similar, as you can see. I noticed this a while ago and I have since had the feeling that this is a bit too many similarities to be a coincidence. I just thought I would bring this up here to see what everyone else thought about this.

Comments

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    edited July 2017
    When I'm writing from my D&D campaign I "borrow" all the time. The Claw of Kazgaroth is in it, and a character based on Fagin from Oliver Twist, and CMOT from Ankh Morpork, not to mention the completely unexpected Helmish Inquisition.

So yeah, borrowing happens a lot because it's pretty much impossible to think of all new stuff all the time, and if players recognise the source it serves as an "in joke".
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Chrysamere was most likely the original. As it's been part of that franchise ever since TES: Arena in 1994. So it seems to me that chances are pretty high for Carsomyr to be in fact an easter egg tribute to The Elder Scrolls. Given that it's only appearance thus far was in Baldur's Gate II: SoA (and ToB of course), which got released whopping six years after Arena.

And it's not like this would the only instance of Baldur's Gate implementing some sort of tribute/cameo/name dropping of non D&D stuff. In fact it's been done left and right all over the place. :p
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    It could also be that whoever made Carsomyr didn't realize that they were inspired by Chrysamere. I mean, Flaming lips managed to write an entire song without realizing that they had copied Cat Stevens before people pointed it out to them.