Skip to content

Is it possible to use my own portraits in BG Android version?

Hello, just bought the BG Android version, it's very good. I want to know, Is it possible to use my own portraits in BG Android version?

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    @Dee or @Jalily might be able to help you with this.
  • FrozenDervishFrozenDervish Member Posts: 295
    Hey @Dee is it possible to do mods/edit saves and characters/and override npc portraits with the android version?
    Thank you very much Dee you are awesome.
  • Cyruschen0112Cyruschen0112 Member Posts: 55
    It's very good news for android. I have one more question, does my current "save" file in Windows 7 work with android version as well?
    I've found the files work. it's awesome. Thanks!
    edited April 2014
    Dee said:

Yes. Add them to (sdcard)/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/portraits

You'll need to create the "portraits" folder, but they'll work from there.

I created the "portraits" folder and added the portraits files I used in Windows 7, but how to use them when I create a new character in android? I did not find any button to use them? The portraits are from my BG II EE of Windows 7.
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    For me, the right directory is Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/portraits. Basically it's where the Baldur.ini file and the save directory are.
    Then you'll find the portraits with the "Personalize" button (or whatever it's name in English) just below the basic portraits.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I can't see/find the save folder (using Windows 8 and a Nexus 7). Anyone know what I do wrong?
    Isaya said:

For me, the right directory is Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/portraits. Basically it's where the Baldur.ini file and the save directory are.
    Then you'll find the portraits with the "Personalize" button (or whatever it's name in English) just below the basic portraits.

You're right. I moved the Portraits folder into "File", then I found a "Custom" button when I create a new character. Thank you very much.
    @Astafas Did you already make a save? Otherwise it doesn't exist yet.
    Look for Baldur.ini file, but be sure to run the game as least once before.

Did you check the directory I mentioned (without portraits at the end)? I believe it should appear in the internal memory part, not the SD card, since this is user data. Android is at the root of the file system.

Do you see the Nexus as a drive when you plug it? Basically how do you proceed? Difficult to say what you do wrong if you don't tell what you do. ;-)
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    @‌Isaya

Here is the folder:

This computer\Nexus 7\Internal memory\Android\data\com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition\files

I have run the game and made a saved game, but can't see any ini-file or save directory. However, i can use custom portrait (after having added a folder).
    I faced this problem too (and I'm still facing it somehow). I found a workaround by go through an SD card and an Android file explorer to transfer save games and characters from the PC. Then I could see the save directory, but only the save games I had transferred from the PC.
    Finally I tried to stop and restart the tablet, the "hidden" save games appeared. However, the new save games I created on the tablet since restart were not visible from the PC. Again restarting the tablet allowed to see them.

On the Baldur's Gate Google group, Cameron Tofer suggested me this Android application as a workaround. Despite its description, it does provide a workaround for this issue. At least it worked for me. You have to run it manually.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    You may need to disconnect and reconnect your device from/to your computer before changes to the files are reflected on your PC. So if you were connected to your PC when you ran the game for the first time, those files wouldn't display.
    @Dee you guys have done exceptionally with the android version of BGEE I'm loving playing it on my S4. The only issue I've had so far is when a door opens towards you it is difficult to enter the building I don't know if it's due to the small screen size or if it is just the door positioning.

And when it comes to installing the addons do we have to manually modify the dialog file or is there a simple way to install said addons such as using the PC to install them when the android device is connected?
  • BuddyRichBuddyRich Member Posts: 20
    What "version" is android based off of? I have 1.2000 on steam and transferred that save to android and it seems to play fine and the latest iPad version as well which is greater than 1.2000, I suppose they will all get 1.3 at one point but any major bugs I should worry about when switching back and forth?
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited April 2014
    I believe they are already at 1.3 for Android. with several users reporting slightly different build numbers, but none of them starting before 1.3.
    Edit: I just checked - some people have 1.3.1220, 1.3.1224, or 1.3.1226. I am unsure of the differences between builds.
    I don't know about savegame compatibility between 1.2 and 1.3 - in general things like that do lead to bugs, but that may not be the case here.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Going from 1.2 to 1.3 shouldn't cause any issues, but I would be careful when going from 1.3 back to 1.2. It may not create a problem, but just be aware that some things will work differently. The 1.3 patch we're working on now has over 200 changes in it, and for the most part you won't be able to take those changes with you when you go back to 1.2.
  • tearlaidhtearlaidh Member Posts: 1
    Hi there, I seem to have this persisting problem with custom portraits. I just can't see them ingame, it is very frustrating as I play always with custom portraits on PC. I tried what you have said but it didn't work so...

I have created these folders:

Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/portraits
    Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/portraits

at last I've even tried creating this folder:

Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/override/portraits

I tried putting three BMP (24bit) files with correct names (CALAL, CALAM, CALAS) and correct dimensions into each folder. I used http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/7461/heres-how-to-use-custom-portraits for references. But non of it worked. I can see no "custom" button while creating new character or editing appearance of existing ones. I'm lost. My version is 1.3.1220.

My Galaxy is not rooted so I run the game in internal memory.
  • SaidrenSaidren Member Posts: 2
    So I tried the Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files/portraits scenario with a picture I edited in paint to 54x84 and to bmp file for my Nexus 5 phone. It hasnt given me a customize option. Is there something I did wrong or is it not available for phones.
  • SaidrenSaidren Member Posts: 2
    nevermind its there now. Thx
  • BollywoodHeroBollywoodHero Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2015
    The game isn't loading my custom portraits on my Nexus 6. I tried both with Android 5.1 and 6.0.1. I created the portraits directory in /sdcard/Android/data/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/files but the "custom" button does not appear in the game. Am I doing something wrong?

Update:
    Problem solved! Previously, my files were named in all uppercase (e.g. TOR_L.BMP). I change the file names to all lowercase except the sizing letter (e.g. tor_L.bmp)
    Post edited by BollywoodHero on
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    It's probably just the extension that needs to be lowercase. I'm using mixed case filenames but the .bmp is lowercase and it works on my Fire.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    By the way you do not need to put 3portraits (one of each size). One is enough, if you select it from the custom portrait menu it'll be readjusted to fit all sizes. Be careful however not to exceed the allowed size (which you can find in the custom portrait menu)
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Arunsun said:

By the way you do not need to put 3portraits (one of each size). One is enough, if you select it from the custom portrait menu it'll be readjusted to fit all sizes.

For the avoidance of confusion caused by advice based on previous versions, note that this is a change in the last patch. Previously, multiple sizes were needed. Multiple sizes can still be used, if you want a different version of the portrait for the character sheet and the main-screen icon.
  • CeleborneCeleborne Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2017
    I'm trying to replace the NPC portraits and have fiddled quite a bit with both PC and Android versions of the game. I've followed default naming conventions and other parameters (bitmaps, sizing 169x266) for all of the replacement images, and this is what I've found:
    Android version will not substitute any of the supplied replacement images, regardless of location (this goes for both the data/beamdog/bg2EE portraits AND override folders.) My guess is that the Android version still requires multiple sizes in order to override the stock images. Again, this is to replace NPC portraits. Can anyone cue in on this?
    For the PC version, I've gotten the 169x266 .bmp files to stick for the HUD portraits while playing the game, but when I pull up the character profile, the default image comes up. I'm assuming that, despite the claim that one size will substitute just fine for PLAYER portraits, one will still need to supply the S/M/L size variations in order for the substituted portraits to work for NPC's. I believe this lends credibility to the reason why I can't get ANY substitute images to work for the Android version.

I've been somewhat limited on time this week. I'll report back when I've done some additional tweaking to verify one way or another.