Skip to content

Suitable Penalty For Making a Drow Character

So, I really like the idea of having my character as a Drow, (who doesn't) and the idea of the innate magic resistance is so awesome, yet overpowering I know. What would be a suitable penalty to apply to my character to offset this if I granted my character say 25% or 50% Magic Resistance?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    All surface dwelling drow originally loose those nifty magic resistances and spell-like abilities. But if for roleplaying purposes you decide to only travel at night and thus won't be exposed to sunlight anyway, then I personally would think a reduced magic resistance of 25% is fair game.

Alternatively, you could simulate their sunlight sensitivity by giving your character a THAC0 penalty. Or lower saving throws for that matter.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    edited July 2017
    Alternatively, races that are more powerful including drows need more exp to level up in 3E, so you could think of an exp penalty
    Post edited by Arunsun on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The +4 to Thac0 during daylight is ideal.

So would having a reaction hit (-10) when dealing with shops and quest givers.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Yeah a penalty to saving throws, thaco and ac during sunlight. And the diminished MR.

But for me any new races wouldn't really work that well in the BG saga. Half-orcs are barely acknowledged in the games as it is.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Actually, the most apropriate penalty would be everyone trying to kill you, shops refusing to deal, etc.

Until you find a party leader ofc, then you'd just give them -2 rep and go on with life.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited July 2017
    I would say no penalties and no alignment restrictions.

A drow raised on the surface is basically just an elf, under 2E rules. The cruelty and hedonism etc is beaten into them from childhood, so there is no particular reason a surface drow would be evil. Well, other than being shun by most surfacers, which would create resentment... except that would not be a problem in an enlightened place such as Candlekeep, especially not for Gorions protege. 3E and forward they start getting some extra minor spells that manipulates light and darkness, but. Also, seeing how Gorions Ward would have been a surfacer all her life, she would not suffer any sunrelated illnesses - she would have adapted by now.

However, I think that in 3E female drow get insane str and con bonuses or something, because in 3E female drow are not only conditioned by the spider queen to be rulers, but rather also inherits the same size bonuses that exist between males and females for some spider races, and since male drow are basically skinny humans, female drows become Xerxes from 300, only female and on steroids. So, I'd say, either treat as normal elf (2E and male 3E) or help yourself to +1 str and con (female 3E) and perhaps add some minor spellike abilities (3E).

I think a believable surfacer drow example is the Demon Stone PC drow (even though she is also half wood elf). She is reserved and lashes out at strangers, but once you get to know her she opens up and you realize she actually is really sensitive and goodhearted, she just acts tough because everyone is an asshole to her.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    DrakeICN said:

However, I think that in 3E female drow get insane str and con bonuses or something, because in 3E female drow are not only conditioned by the spider queen to be rulers, but rather also inherits the same size bonuses that exist between males and females for some spider races, and since male drow are basically skinny humans, female drows become Xerxes from 300, only female and on steroids. So, I'd say, either treat as normal elf (2E and male 3E) or help yourself to +1 str and con (female 3E) and perhaps add some minor spellike abilities (3E).

The matriarchic image of Drow society being full of superwomen apparently existed ever since the AD&D 1st edition. Probably mainly through a certain male drow's novels which shall not be named. There's an interesting read over at En World concerning this matter. So it's not an 3rd edition thing. In fact, all this has gone away. The only remaining difference of male and female drow in 3rd edition and up is their favourite class. Which is Wizard for males and Cleric for females.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.