Skip to content

(REQUEST) Monkey Grip mod

RyofuRyofu Member Posts: 268
Is anyone able to make a mod that adds a HLA ability for fighters that allows the dual wielding of 2h swords?

Thank you in advance and Regards

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Not possible. The issue is in the animations. You'd either be facing an instant ctd or a character whose weapons turn invisible whenever he swings at anything.
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    The only way of making a monkey grip mod would be to duplicate every item and give them the ability to transform into one-handed weapon, with penalties (malus to THAC0, greater required strength, restricted to fighters/paladin/...), but that would be available without conditions. One could make the items 1-handed but keep the proficiency points on the appropriate proficiency. Concerning animation you'd have to be satisfied with the next best animation. 2H-swords would use 1-handed sword animation etc...

But this would definitely be a big amount of work
  • dbianco87dbianco87 Member Posts: 21
    edited June 2017
    Arunsun said:

The only way of making a monkey grip mod would be to duplicate every item and give them the ability to transform into one-handed weapon, with penalties (malus to THAC0, greater required strength, restricted to fighters/paladin/...), but that would be available without conditions. One could make the items 1-handed but keep the proficiency points on the appropriate proficiency. Concerning animation you'd have to be satisfied with the next best animation. 2H-swords would use 1-handed sword animation etc...

But this would definitely be a big amount of work

I believe this is doable without too much work using looping weidu functions. (Edit for clarification) I've seen tutorials for mass generating item files for things like adding restrictions and such, all you would have to do is generate a script that copies the items, adds a character to make a unique name to it(not sure how to do this in weidu but it'd be fairly simple in a .bat file, which weidu installers are able to call and execute), and overwrites the blocks in the item's binary that make it 2 handed and use two handed animations.

That last part might sound laughably difficult (people are scared of binary editing) but it wouldn't be so bad if you got creative. In theory all you'd have to do is copy and edit one two handed sword in Near Infinity or DLTCEP into a onehanded item, including animations, useability flags, item types, etc, and then use a program to compare the binary files of the two to figure out which blocks are needed to be changed. You could even include thaco/damage penalties this way if you're trying to make the mod more balanced.

One thing I'm not sure of is if you can make the proficiencies work with it, you might have to change the proficiency used to Long Swords for it to work properly or to prevent it from crashing your game.

Unfortunately, I'm not proficient enough of a programmer to do it myself. You could then create an innate ability/spell "Monkeymode" say with a script that checks for the two handed swords in your characters inventory and swaps them with their 1 handed versions.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    wasn't Sarevok using a double handed sword in one hand on bg1 unpatched version?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The work is already done; with a few minor changes you can take two-handed bastard swords from Tweaks (or two-handed katanas, or two-handed axes) and make it work so that 2h swords could have 1h versions. The difficulty would be tying the new 1h swords to a special ability or HLA.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    Right, but I also live in the non-EE world.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.