Skip to content

Books to read while we wait, in the "Time of Troubles"

IronGiantIronGiant Member Posts: 1
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I vaguely remember reading a book a long, long time ago, only because I remember a character in the book coming across a load of gold and saying "too bad its worthless, money is made of iron now..."

What is the best book or series of books set before, during and after the time of troubles?

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    I believe your quote comes from Dragonlance Chronicles, so not actually a forgotten realms book at all, a good series though.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    I hear the Sembia series is a great place to start.
  • MillardkillmooreMillardkillmoore Member Posts: 150
    The Legacy of the Drow part of the Drizzt series is set during the Time of Troubles.
  • TaisharTaishar Member Posts: 27
    Not sure what the Tme of Troubles is, but the best book you will ever read is:

"Name of the Wind" by Rothfuss
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Road of the Patriarch is brilliant! R A Salvatore
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    The Dark Elf Trilogy, Crystal Shard Trilogy and The Sellswords Trilogy by RA Salvatore are amazing and I would highly recommend them.
  • Crystal Shard Trilogy

Technically thats the "Icewind Dale Trilogy" But im just nitpicking.

On Topic! Im a sucker for greenwood so Shandrils saga (Spellfire and crown of fire, ignore hand of fire) are great for PRE-TOT. The shadow of the avatar series is fantastic for during. AND if you want a good AFTER-TOT book, there are hundreds of them...but to keep with my greenwood pattern, Elminster in hell
  • DuronDuron Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2012
    To me personally BEST but really BEST Forgotten realms series that I red (and I red them all, my collection is around 200 Forgotten realms books, missing only few books from "early years" aka 1980s, and few from early 1990s) is without any doubt War of the Spider queen sixology.

To maximize the experience imo best way to get to them is to go through Drizzt series up to Siege of Darkness (including Siege of Darkness) from R. A. Salvatore , then move to Starlight and Shadows about Liriel from Elaine Cunningham.

For WOTSQ series to have that epic feeling it is best to go through the books I said as you understand how things stand in Menzoberranzan at the beggining of the series.

My second best is without any doubt The Cleric Quintet by R. A. Salvatore which is bloody awesome, well was until R. A. ruined it for me in Ghost king from Legend of Drizzt but as solo 5 books they are great.

If you don't like drows or clerics there is also The Twilight war trilogy which to me is third best, problem with it though is that to maximize the experience of the story you need to go through Sembia 7 book storyline which tbh is kinda boring, and after that Erevis Cale trilogy which is so so.
    The Twilight war continues on Erevis Cale trilogy so you get the picture.

There are few other great stories out there so just say what sort of story you would like to go through and I'll tell you which story is closest to what you are looking for.
  • MoradinMoradin Member Posts: 372
    edited September 2012
    Big fan of Salvatore's and Greenwood's work here. I pre-ordered Greenwood's latest novel and am waiting for delivery. Just finished reading book III of the Neverwinter Saga. I've read almost everything, from Rothfuss and Greenwood to Cunningham and Salvatore. The best thing that I've read so far is Salvatore's Sellswords trilogy: Servants of the shard, Promise of the Witch-King and Road of the Patriarch. The approach is completely new, the areas the novels explore are seldom depicted in other novels. The themes are powerful and the plot is very well built. I greatly enjoyed the last two, especially.
    Don't get me wrong, there's tons of good works out there. Rothfuss' first novel was great, but the second one was in my opinion very weak. Greenwood's work is always excellent and funny, but I grow tired of seeing El always reduced to dust (literally): after so many books I want him to ascend to deity! Salvatore's other novels are great too, but it's pretty much always the same chant... the Sellswords' trilogy being one notable exception along with the Cleric Quintet.
    If you want to improve your knowledge on the post time-of-troubles era, I also advise reading Denning's Return of the Arch-wizards. Other great books in this direction are the evergreen Greenwood's Shadow of the Avatar Trilogy.
    Hope this info helps a bit.
    Return of the Arch-wizards is a great series. But I prefered storyline from Twilight war saga over the Return. About Shar and how he killed his mother instead of how they made it in original Arch-wizards.

But that is preferences. Ofc there is also Haunted lands and Brotherhood of the Griffin from new book series
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    The first two Liriel Baenre books--Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Webs were awesome. The third one was inexcusably terrible. Like @LordsDarkKnight185 said, Spellfire and Crown of Fire were great stories. Hand of Fire was one of the worst books I've ever hand the misfortune to read. Sembia has hits and misses. City of Ravens was really good. There's a gemstone themed trilogy...uhm...starts with The Saphire Crescent, I think, then emerald something, then ruby something else that was a ripping good yarn. Oh crudmonkeys, what's the name of the trilogy? The one with Alias the sell-sword and the sauriels and eventually Finder Wyvernspur ending up a god. Definitely worth your time. The Pools of _____________ books are fun, too. A lot of the Harpers series is worth a read, though a number of the books continue other stories started elsewhere, which gets a little aggravating.
  • jhart1018 said:

The first two Liriel Baenre books--Daughter of the Drow and Tangled Webs were awesome. The third one was inexcusably terrible. Like @LordsDarkKnight185 said, Spellfire and Crown of Fire were great stories. Hand of Fire was one of the worst books I've ever hand the misfortune to read. Sembia has hits and misses. City of Ravens was really good. There's a gemstone themed trilogy...uhm...starts with The Saphire Crescent, I think, then emerald something, then ruby something else that was a ripping good yarn. Oh crudmonkeys, what's the name of the trilogy? The one with Alias the sell-sword and the sauriels and eventually Finder Wyvernspur ending up a god. Definitely worth your time. The Pools of _____________ books are fun, too. A lot of the Harpers series is worth a read, though a number of the books continue other stories started elsewhere, which gets a little aggravating.

The "Finders Stone Trilogy" With Alias and Dragonbait! (Dragonbait <3 )
    I myself also enjoyed year of the rogue dragons tbh. Loved the song dragon main char (half-golem was meh)

Last Mythal about restoration of Myth Draenor is also a great series.

One series that I must caution to AVOID in big circle though is: watercourse trilogy. My God... Philip Athans is a great editor but he should avoid writing books. He also made worst of the 6 books in War of the spider queen six book series.

I didn't mention 2 story continuations on WOTSQ series that are Lady penitent which I LOVED and Empyrian Odysey which I hated, for a simple reason of bringing Spellplague which brought to DnD 4th edition that sucked in all directions if you ask me.
  • Duron said:

One series that I must caution to AVOID in big circle though is: watercourse trilogy. My God... Philip Athans is a great editor but he should avoid writing books. He also made worst of the 6 books in War of the spider queen six book series.

Not to mention the dishonor of Baldur's Gate fans everywhere.
  • Though if you dont mind dipping into the current realms...Brimstone Angels, by Erin M Evans. Seriously great take on Tieflings and warlocks IMHO!
  • cattlekillercattlekiller Member Posts: 55
    Yeah I'm not sure hardly any books really cover "Time of Troubles". I look off and on for a book , but always get lost finding a another series to read.

The best series I have read so far is Salvatore's Sellswords trilogy.
  • The only books i can think of set during the time of trouble are Shadow of the avatar (Elminsters story), Siege of darknees (Drizzt's story) and the avatar trilogy: Shadowdale, tantras, and waterdeep (Cyric, midnight, and kelimvors story)
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    edited September 2012
    Avatar trilogy covers time of troubles indeed, and imo in the best possible way, from the assembly of the gods - to the thievery of the sacred tablets, the castout of the gods, the demise of bhaal (oh yes, the very same!!)

The rise of kelemvor, Cyric and midnight - and an absolutely epic story, in terms of telling the tale of the time of troubles. Yes other books exsist decribing the period, but not with the focus of the avatar series, which entire plot is about ending the time of troubles, and returning the world back to normal conditions.

Another great trilogy, is the Moonshae one, The secluded story of a island kingdom, well excecuted - and by an absolute favourite of mine - author: Douglas Niles.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I'm reading the Avatar trilogy at the moment. Already Finished Shadowdale and on the last chapter of Tantras.

Haven't read these since the early 90s and great to read again.
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438

Crystal Shard Trilogy

Technically thats the "Icewind Dale Trilogy" But im just nitpicking.

On Topic! Im a sucker for greenwood so Shandrils saga (Spellfire and crown of fire, ignore hand of fire) are great for PRE-TOT. The shadow of the avatar series is fantastic for during. AND if you want a good AFTER-TOT book, there are hundreds of them...but to keep with my greenwood pattern, Elminster in hell

I loved Spellfire! I second this.
  • rattmannrattmann Member Posts: 19

Duron said:

Can someone give me a few examples of his writing? I've heard about the whole "Imoen spontaneously becomes a lesbian" scene and the part where Abdel cheats on Jaheria with Bodhi, but I want to see the trainwreck for myself.
  • rattmann said:

Duron said:

Can someone give me a few examples of his writing? I've heard about the whole "Imoen spontaneously becomes a lesbian" scene and the part where Abdel cheats on Jaheria with Bodhi, but I want to see the trainwreck for myself.
    NO! they are abominations! If any of us scribes the infernal text our souls will burn!
    You really don't want to read it, not only because it is a really really BAD interpretation of BG series, but because Philip Athans (witter of first two books as well as watercourse trilogy) is not an awesome writter. Like I said, he is a great editor, all other writters come to him and his little red pen, but he himself should avoid writting.

Hard to explain what he does wrong, it all looks okey but somehow he misses that requirement to make a story for readers to submerge into. You just don't feel connected to the story, characters seem out of place, strange and weird. Example from watercourse, lead female character is haunted by ghosts and is half mad. In the end she falls in love with protagonist and they live happy together. On it's own that is okey, but he never solved her madness or haunting, fifty pages before the end of the series she was still half mad and haunted, and he never changed that. She just turned for 180 degrees instantly and ghosts, ah who gives a rats ass about ghosts I guess.

That is the problem with Athans. All his books suffer from such problems, not solving key issues he created in the series, or even worse with BG series killing off main characters on stupid retarded ways like Imoen and Jaheira (Well it wasn't Athans who killed them but Drew Karpyshyn but Athans approved it as editor and writter of first two parts).

That BG series were written by Smedman, Byers or Baker I think books could have done game justice, but like this... ah, books to avoid, simple as that. books to avoid.
    edited September 2012
    @Duron

Oh god, I wish I hadn't read what you said about the BG books. :(

I have the books and found it hard to get into the first book and stopped around Chapter 3. I really dislike the name Abdel Adrian and his background just annoys the hell out of me since it's completely different and makes no sense compared to the game.

One day I'll get around to reading this train wreck, but I think I'll put it on the back burner for now.
  • topymacijietopymacijie Member Posts: 30
    Taishar said:

Not sure what the Tme of Troubles is, but the best book you will ever read is:

"Name of the Wind" by Rothfuss

I heartily agree with this. Every fantasy lover needs to read this one and its sequel.
  • topymacijietopymacijie Member Posts: 30
    I would also recommend The Magicians, although it's not a Forgotten Realms book either.
  • @Duron

I have the books and found it hard to get into the first book and stopped around Chapter 3. I really dislike the name Abdel Adrian and his background just annoys the hell out of me since it's completely different and makes no sense compared to the game.

One day I'll get around to reading this train wreck, but I think I'll put it on the back burner for now.

I actually liked the name Abdel Adrian (the "pre-final save" after you installed TOTSC called him that, and i thought it was cool))

But i agree everything else about the books are atrocities.

@Duron

Heh, I had it worse. I went through the series. Not that bad when he wrote it, but storyline wise it sucked. My issue was with Emperian Odysey trilogy. When it started it looked great tbh. Characters were great, I loved Alu-Fiend protagonist as much as I loved her in War of the spider queen series. And then came end of second book and I was like.. YOU WHAT? You killed godess of magic AGAIN?! The hell is this shit?!

Wait what... weave broke down? Spellplague? WTF am I reading here? Third book happening 100 years later...?? WTF is this?! Worst magacataclysm event ever if you ask me and it ruined dnd badly for me. I still can't force myself into years 1480+ and spellplague.

Dnd 4th edition and storyline with it was fail if you ask me. 4th edition itself sucks on so many levels and storylines are really really bad for the most part. Most writters either stopped or even decided against writting in 4th edition. Not to mention this Abolethic Sovereignity BS that they added into the world, or Abysal plague that they spread into all the worlds, Dark sun and Eberon, think Dragonlance also. Just one fail after another.

In a way I can't wait for 5th edition, I hope that then they will fix some of the stupid things that they did and maybe we will be able to read some good books. I know Paul S. Kemp didn't want to allow publishing of his new book that is continuation on Twilight war as long as 4th edition is out. He to my knowledge is first writter that is writting by 5th edition rules.
  • Duron said:

In a way I can't wait for 5th edition, I hope that then they will fix some of the stupid things that they did and maybe we will be able to read some good books. I know Paul S. Kemp didn't want to allow publishing of his new book that is continuation on Twilight war as long as 4th edition is out. He to my knowledge is first writter that is writting by 5th edition rules.

You need to watch the video on the sundering, and the gencon keynotes.

There are going to be 6 novels that usher in "the sundering" (5e/Next forgotten realms)

The Companions, by R.A. Salvatore
    The Godborn, by Paul S. Kemp
    The Adversary, by Erin M. Evans
    The Reaver, by Richard Lee Byers
    The Sentinel, by Troy Denning
    The Herald, by Ed Greenwood.
    Duron said:

Dnd 4th edition and storyline with it was fail if you ask me. 4th edition itself sucks on so many levels and storylines are really really bad for the most part.

I play pnp 4th ed but I pretty much ignore all the lore behind it. In fact, I really don't know much about 4th ed history and lore, even though I've been playing 4th ed for nearly 2 years. I only read the 2nd ed novels from the 80/90s.