Skip to content

Storm of Talos/Fighter

Hi everyone, hope you're well.

For my playthrough from BG1 - TOB I'm thinking of creating a talos cleric. I was then thinking of dual classing into a fighter., (if this can be done) Do you think this is worth it at all?

Generally I'm more interested in being a fighter with a few divine spells as a sort of backup to Viconia.

Or.... Should I just go for a Half orc fighter/cleric. (But I would like to be a priest of talos so I'm basically evil thor).

Cheers in advance for any advice.
ShikaoZaghoulNoobacca10Bazza11

Comments

• Batdragon123Batdragon123 Member Posts: 13
    Also, dual wield or sword/shield, any thoughts?

Thanks again.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    That sounds like an intriguing dual. I prefer multi, or dual in the other direction, because I want access to,all he spells. It sounds like your preference is the opposite.

I'd say give it a try. And then play a fighter/cleric. (I prefer dwarf F/Cs, but YMMV)
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Hello @Batdragon123,

I am good thanks! Now to answer your questions =D

Any class/race/party combination that's fun for you is worth it =]

I think Fighter dualed to Cleric would make more sense thank C->F. However, if you plan full trilogy run, F/C multi might be best option for you as you will have plenty of exp and at higher levels you can choose HLAs from both.
    As for Talos part, if you don't mind using EEKeeper to make a tiny change, then it's totally possible to have Figher/Talos multi (or Figher dualed to Talos).

Now for sword/shield part... if you mean actual sword, then no, it's not possible. Clerics (single class, dual or multi) can only use blunt weapons. So you could choose Hammer to go with Evil Thor theme, Ashideena in BG1 in particular - IMO one of best weapons in BG1, though in BG2 there are better options.
    Dual wield is also very good option.

Hopefully this will answer at least some of your questions. If you have more, just shoot! =]
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    It could be quite interesting to take that H/O-F/C ( EEKeeper that Talos kit), then add the CD Tweaks mod option 'loosen weapon restrictions for cleric multi-classes'. You could then specialize in spear (Talos's favored weapon) for at least one weapon choice, and the hammer (and/or shield) for your Thor-like image and BG Ashideena, for the other. Gives a good choice between a longer reach, if needed, and good ol crushing damage.
    ShikaoArctodus
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited August 2017
    Half-orc fighter/cleric is much stronger than any cleric dualed to fighter, especially if you want to be a melee DPS character. It is true that by going from cleric to fighter, you'd eventually receive the fighter's bonus attacks per round (both from being a warrior and from putting two stars in your weapons). But as a half-orc multi you can start with 19 strength, cast crucial melee boosters that you miss out on by dualing, and you can also access the harm spell, which some would consider to be the biggest situational melee booster of all.

That said, dualing from cleric to fighter will still give you a very solid party member, especially if you have the patience to postpone dualing for a while.

Post edited by jsaving on
    ZaghoulShikao
    edited August 2017
    I hear you about the half orc multi. However, a dwarf gets a saving throw bonus based on constitution. This is no small consideration. Also, given certain magic items in BG, the difference in strength becomes minimal and the dwarf can slowly regenerate.

Plus dwarfs rock. You can RP them as drunk and gruff and Lawful Good and no one questions it.
    Skatan
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    If you want a cleric to fighter dual, Lathander has some good synergy. I would like to point out that high level clerics don't get much, but those warrior HLAs are pretty good.

Talos would be suboptimal, but if you like the RP, roll with it!
    GrimjackMV
    Noobacca said:

I had a lot of fun with this char, but I think it's mainly because I get bored pretty easy and I'm always trying to think of unusual dual class options to try and this character was that unusual dual at the time. I think my next will be a Priest of Lathander dual ranger or an assassin dual cleric (never tried the cleric/thief options before).

A Shadowdancer->Cleric could be interesting. I have to admit that the Shadowdancer has become my favorite kit. Yes, it is cheesy, but it is really fun, particularly when you switch to a mage. I need to give that a try after my current run. And Druid run. And no warrior class run. And ...

I love these games.
    ShikaoArctodusThacoBellNoobacca
  • 10Bazza1110Bazza11 Member Posts: 169
    I am in the process of doing something similar. I have not long started out in BG1 with my Priest of Helm and intend to dual him to a fighter. Funny enough I was only checking the forum to see the best time to duel him. I know every ones goes on about missing out on the fighter hit points but I thought he would be a bit like a Paladin that can get 5 pips in weapon skill.
    Noobacca
  • Batdragon123Batdragon123 Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone, thanks for the great responses!

Nice Thor btw!

Yes perhaps I will go for a fighter/cleric, I don't mind at all about using blunt weapons only, I actually prefer them.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited August 2017
    tbone1 said:

That sounds like an intriguing dual. I prefer multi, or dual in the other direction, because I want access to,all he spells. It sounds like your preference is the opposite.

I'd say give it a try. And then play a fighter/cleric. (I prefer dwarf F/Cs, but YMMV)

cleric > fighter is vastly better because of fighter HLAs

edit: than fighter > cleric
    except maybe berserker > cleric
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2018
    Can confirm that this Kit is insane fun. The Storm Shield elemental immunities is game changing. Put up Storm Shield, rush into combat and aggro up your enemies, then have 2 or 3 casters behind you lay waste to absolutely everything. It's highly satisfying, I just roflstomped through BG1 and about to start SOD. Not disappointed in the least.

Going to Dual into a Fighter at level 10, ensuring that I have at least two or 3 casts of Righteous Magic to maximize the eventual devastation of GWW.
    Post edited by GrimjackMV on
    BorekChronicler
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    You'll want to dual at 11 I believe it is when you get the 2nd use of Storm Shield. Also Talos/War is much stronger than people give it credit for. On lower difficulties thaco matters less but on higher difficulties, especially Legacy, you'll want/need a base thaco lower than 10. Also NPCs and bosses in ToB have much higher armor where low level warriors don't shine as much.

Half orc is nice if you need or must save and conserve str items. If you plan to use a ranged attacker which I recommend, half orc is less necessary and dwarf becomes better.

You'll want to dual at 11 I believe it is when you get the 2nd use of Storm Shield. Also Talos/War is much stronger than people give it credit for. On lower difficulties thaco matters less but on higher difficulties, especially Legacy, you'll want/need a base thaco lower than 10. Also NPCs and bosses in ToB have much higher armor where low level warriors don't shine as much.

Half orc is nice if you need or must save and conserve str items. If you plan to use a ranged attacker which I recommend, half orc is less necessary and dwarf becomes better.

Is it worth it later on SoA and TOB to rely on Storm Shield? I figured it's most effective early / midgame but drops off in utility later on in SoA or TOB, in time for your fighter skills / clerical magic to then takeover.
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    Off hand I'm going to just say no. There are plenty of high damage fire, cold and lightning abilities sprinkled throughout the game, especially on Legacy difficulty in which call lightning, flame strike, and fireballs can one shot many characters. I remember something one shot Korgan once from 100+ hp to dead. Probably a dragon using fire or lightning but still caught me off guard and surprised the hell out of me.

You can use stormshield to bait them out and as long as the Talos/war is the only one visible when the casting begins they are targeted (everyone further than 30 yards). This is an important trick vs any clerics or druids you fight who want to cast call lightning on someone (base damage 50 usually before modifiers).
    GrimjackMV

Off hand I'm going to just say no. There are plenty of high damage fire, cold and lightning abilities sprinkled throughout the game, especially on Legacy difficulty in which call lightning, flame strike, and fireballs can one shot many characters. I remember something one shot Korgan once from 100+ hp to dead. Probably a dragon using fire or lightning but still caught me off guard and surprised the hell out of me.

You can use stormshield to bait them out and as long as the Talos/war is the only one visible when the casting begins they are targeted (everyone further than 30 yards). This is an important trick vs any clerics or druids you fight who want to cast call lightning on someone (base damage 50 usually before modifiers).

Thanks for the advice @Wrathofrecca ! I went ahead and dual classed my character from Priest of Talos (9) to Fighter, with a view to using Draw Upon Holy Might + Righteous Magic (insta Str 25) and eventually Greater Whirlwind HLAs. ^_^ Should be great single target carnage.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

A priest's thac0 caps at 6, and they can cast Holy Power to get a Fighter's thac0, so I'd think that achieving a thac0 lower than ten wouldn't be an issue for them, would it?
    GrimjackMV