Skip to content

Dread wolves near death but not dying...

2»

Comments

• MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Raduziel They're in the 2nd edition Monstrous Manual. Here's an online edition with the Dread Wolf entry: http://www.lomion.de/cmm/wolfdrea.php

Looks like they regenerate with same rate as trolls after all, so there's no need to change the mod I already made to my own game :)
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @Mortianna Nailed it: they're not at the Monstrous Manual but at the Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume I (as are the vampiric wolves). That explains why I never found them.

For years I thought that both the dread and the vampiric wolves were created by the original BG designers as I never saw neither of them playing at Ravenloft for over a decade.

Living and learning. Now I wish the other Dread Wolves along the game behaves the same way. And vampiric wolves really should only appear at night.

Mortianna
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Raduziel said:

@Mortianna Which book has information about Dread Wolves?

Just checked the Monstrous Manuals and all my Ravenloft material and not a single word about either them or Vampiric Wolves.

Thanks!

Quick Google search provided me this -> Wolf, Dread. It doesn't say which book it is from though.
    Shikao said:

Raduziel said:

@Mortianna Which book has information about Dread Wolves?

Just checked the Monstrous Manuals and all my Ravenloft material and not a single word about either them or Vampiric Wolves.

Thanks!

Quick Google search provided me this -> Wolf, Dread. It doesn't say which book it is from though.
    Yeah, I found that link earlier but wanted to know the book it comes from.

And this link says, in a very discreet way, which book holds the information: on the upper right corner there is a number with four digits. This number is TSR's book code.

That's how I discovered that the Dread Wolf was at the Monstrous Compendium Annual Volume I (code 2145).

I really don't rely on internet links when I'm arguing about PnP rules. I prefer to go after what the books say.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Raduziel said:

Now I wish the other dread wolves along the game behaves the same way. And vampiric wolves really should only appear at night.

I've attached an .rar archive with the modded dread wolf files for SoD and BGEE. I also included a modded .cre file for vampiric wolves in SoD, as the developers forgot to include the HP they should gain whenever they score a hit (as they do in BGEE and PnP).

I also gave dread and vampiric wolves proficiency in single weapon style, which gives them a slight boost to their AC and critical hit range.

Faldorn's dread wolf has also been affected, which makes it much more powerful, since most monsters don't deal fire/acid damage.

As for Vampiric Wolves only appearing at night, according to the Monstrous Compendium, they only suffer a -2 penalty to hit while in sunlight.

ArctodusOrlonKronsteenRaduziel
    edited August 2017
    @Mortianna yeah, but their activity cycle is during the night. Every single Vampiric Wolf I found was in bright daylight.

Think about an unlucky Charname! :D

And thank you very much for the file. Combining with the altering I did in Faldorn making her a Shapeshifter and the reviewed bonuses from Tweaks Anthology she is now, by far, the best companion to have.
    Mortianna